Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:00 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times

Advertisements

the speech was ok, but obama SHOWED THAT HE LIKE ALL POLITICIANS ARE PHONEY'S

what did he say,,nothing much but the same lies

""We measure progress in the 23 million new jobs that were created when Bill Clinton was President "".....BUT HE FAILED TO MENTION THAT 50 MILLION GOOD PAYING JOBS LEFT UNDER CLINTON WHILE THOSE 23 MILLION LOW PAYING JOBS WERE CREATED

""I think about my mom, who raised my sister and me on her own while she worked and earned her degree; ""......UHM DIDNT HE SAY HIS grandmother RAISED HIM,,,SO WHICH IS IT OR ARE THEY BOTH LIES

""Our government should work for us, not against us. It should help us, not hurt us. It should ensure opportunity not just for those with the most money and influence, but for every American who's willing to work."".....I'LL GIVE HIM THAT ONE, BECAUSE WHAT HE SAID IS CHANGE..CHANGE FROM THE LIBERAL CRADEL TO GRAVE ENTITLEMENTS THAT LIBERALS LOVE TO KEEP THE POOR POOR AND KEEP THEIR VOTES

"" the fundamental belief that I am my brother's keeper; I am my sister's keeper. "".....SOUNDS LIKE THE HILTER YOUTH , WHO TURNED THEIR PARENTS IN

""in ten years, we will finally end our dependence on oil from the Middle East.""....HOW WILL HE DO THAT WHEN HE IS AGAINST DRILLING OUR OWN OIL???

""And today, we import triple the amount of oil as the day that Senator McCain took office. "".....NICE WAY TO SPIN,,BUT OF COURSE ITS TRIPLE,,30 YRS AGO OUR POPULATION WAS ONLY 200 MILL COMPARED TO TODAY'S 320 MILL

""As President, I will tap our natural gas reserves, invest in clean coal technology""............BOTH FOSSIL FUELS ,AND BOTH WILL RUN OUT TOO,,THEN WHAT SENATOR

""and find ways to safely harness nuclear power.""....FIND WAYS??? FRANCE IS THE SIZE OF TEXAS AND HAS MORE PLANT THAN US AND THEY ARE 10TIMES SAFER THAN OURS AND HAVE 90% LESS WASTE...BUT YOU WILL NEVER GET IT PAST QUEEN PELOSI

""I'll recruit an army of new teachers, and pay them higher salaries and give them more support."".....THAT'S A LAUGH,,THERE IS A TEACHER SHORTAGE NATION WIDE NOW AS IT IS

"" For while Senator McCain was turning his sights to Iraq just days after 9/11, I stood up and opposed this war, knowing that it would distract us from the real threats we face."".....A BOLD FACED LIE,,HE NEVER, NEVER SHOWED UP AT ANY ANTI WAR PROTEST,,,SO SENATOR JUST HOW DID YOU STAND UP??

""Passions fly on immigration, but I don't know anyone who benefits when a mother is separated from her infant child or an employer undercuts American wages by hiring illegal workers"".....FUNNY SINCE HE SUPPORTS AMNESTY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Thumbs up Obama acceptance speech in Denver inspires millions

The speech itself was impressive. I wonder if Obama wrote himself. It wouldn't surprise me if he penned much of it.

Even more impressive was his smooth, fluent delivery. He was on top of his game last night.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:52 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Coming from SoCal you know that $400,000 buys you a VERY modest home. It's not much different in Florida. We worked hard for years to afford our home with 20% down. Regular people are being devastated by this housing crisis as much as the speculators. So go paint someone else as elitist.
I picked up my family and moved rather than put ourselves in a position where we could be affected like that. So you payed $300k for your house. That is still alot more than most of us regular people can afford, and especially those of us who don't want to put ourselves in a position of being overextended.

You obviously did not save long enough if you feel that you are entitled to other peoples' money to bail you out. Don't shoot barbs at me, it's you got in over your head, not me. Your housing woes are not the goverment's responsibility to fix. Unless, of course, your vote is for sale to whoever comes running with the goodies.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:33 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Yeah well most of it he gave over a year ago to the Chicago Council on Global Affairs!!! In April of 2007....

Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
" will — listen now — I will cut taxes — cut taxes — for 95 percent of all working families, because, in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle class.
(APPLAUSE)"

That doesn't sound like he'll raise taxes to me...Did you even listen to his speech?
go read his positions on his website, they are differing from what he said RE: taxes.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Truly, a uniter, not a divider
Four years later - I think it is pretty clear that the man is a divider.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:06 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No. I think he was a bit naive, for sure, expecting the GOP to act like real professionals and statesmen, especially given the dire straights of the economy. What he learned is that the GOP is turning into a bunch of fascist zealots who would rather let their fellow citizens rot and the Capitol building roof cave in before allowing a Dem president to do his job.

This Fall the message will be much easier. **** off GOP a-holes. There is no dealing with terrorists.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
No. I think he was a bit naive, for sure, expecting the GOP to act like real professionals and statesmen, especially given the dire straights of the economy. What he learned is that the GOP is turning into a bunch of fascist zealots who would rather let their fellow citizens rot and the Capitol building roof cave in before allowing a Dem president to do his job.

This Fall the message will be much easier. **** off GOP a-holes. There is no dealing with terrorists.
What, would you like to take a guess about how many bills have passed the house and are sitting in the senate, either because of Reid or because our Pres has said I will not sign this if it does pass both houses. When has he don't anything to try and unite us? We can go back and look at Reagan, Clinton and the Bush's to see Pres that could work with both sides; Obama absolutely says it is my way or no way and if you don't like it I will use EO.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Romney's likability rating is far below Obama's, so I don't think your argument holds much water.

Regardless, I think it's smarter to vote for a party's principles than to vote based on one individual.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 PM

26,495 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Truly, a uniter, not a divider, an inspiration to all who heard him speak.

A rising tide lifts all boats,that is the greatness of this man.

That is a greatness that moves people from within, something Republicans could never, ever, understand, as it is bred of hope.

Obama/Biden in '08
Too bad it was just a speech on a teleprompter.

Too bad he has added more debt in 3.5 years than Bush in 8.

Too bad he has broken so many promises.

Too bad he has failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections