Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:06 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I agree that history is being made, and even though I disagree with Palin on most issues, I am thrilled that a woman has been chosen for a VP candidate. However, I do not vote based on gender or race, but for those who best mirror my social, political, and economic views. Sadly, the McCain campaign does not, so she will not be the recipient of my vote.

Regardless of who wins this election though, history has been made this time around, and I hope it will open the doors for more female and ethnic minority candidates in the future to be able to run on the strength of their ideas and leadership with out the racist and sexist rancor that so often accompanies such campaigns.
I agree. It's nice to see a woman getting an opportunity, and it's an incredible opportunity for this particular woman at this early point in her career. She's intelligent and has a good future ahead of her.

I don't think it will make McCain look good, though, because frankly I doubt he respects her. He has a way of showing it. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:07 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I agree that history is being made, and even though I disagree with Palin on most issues, I am thrilled that a woman has been chosen for a VP candidate. However, I do not vote based on gender or race, but for those who best mirror my social, political, and economic views. Sadly, the McCain campaign does not, so she will not be the recipient of my vote.

Regardless of who wins this election though, history has been made this time around, and I hope it will open the doors for more female and ethnic minority candidates in the future to be able to run on the strength of their ideas and leadership with out the racist and sexist rancor that so often accompanies such campaigns.

I completely agree w/ you here.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:07 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How so? She isn't the first woman VP choice.
Shhh! Quiet! I was going to give 'em a little more line then reel them in.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:11 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,314 times
What makes the McCain campaign think that all the Hillary supporters will vote for him and Sarah Palin just because she's a woman? Most of Hillary's supporters liked her because she was Hillary Clinton, not because she was a woman.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Sounds like a smart move for McCain. Can't say as I know much about her, but the presence of a woman on the ticket is a good move by McCain to draw those disgruntled women from the Democratic camp.

On a personal note, I'm pretty pleased because WHOEVER wins will make history. We are either going to have a Black President or a Female Vice-President.

Either way is pretty terrific from a social breakthrough perspective.

Ken

Old 08-29-2008, 09:14 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,881 times
It's odd that the GOP would go with a woman veep when they aren't pro-women's rights at all.

Do you REALLY think a woman will have a voice in a McCain administration.

This is a guy who takes the credit when his wife writes a check!

Obama is fighting for women's rights in this country. Equal say and Equal Pay.

McCain is NOT for a woman's rights.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How so? She isn't the first woman VP choice.
She's the first one with a chance to win.

And everything Ferraro has said since 1984 has made all of us glad that she wasn't elected...

Old 08-29-2008, 09:17 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
What makes the McCain campaign think that all the Hillary supporters will vote for him and Sarah Palin just because she's a woman? Most of Hillary's supporters liked her because she was Hillary Clinton, not because she was a woman.
Not ALL will come, but clearly SOME will.

Again, smart move by McCain.

While I would prefer Obama win, I'm not about to deny the wisdom (or the importance) of such a move by McCain.

As I've said before, this is the happiest I've ever been with a Presidential election. I'll vote for Obama, but McCain is the Republican I can most easily live with - so I'll either be VERY happy with the election results or I'll be "satisified".

Ken

Old 08-29-2008, 09:18 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
But that's the way republicans think. They really think woman voted for Hillary only because she had ovaries!

Why do you think Condi turned down the job? Despite all her experience, she knows the republicans still only see her as a black candidate with ovaries

Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post

Obama is fighting for women's rights in this country. Equal say and Equal Pay.

Hello? He is???? Why wasn't Hillary his VP pick???? Instead Obama chose a 30 year Washington insider, male.

Oh yeah.....you can really believe Obama when he says he is for womens rights.......liar, liar, liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections