U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2008, 09:28 AM

5,218 posts, read 1,986,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Me too, AMC. Doesn't it feel great to be a grown up at last?

I can't believe the percentage of liberals who believe Republicans are all rich, out to screw the little man. Give me a break. I know many middle class, educated, hardworking people who have left the Dem party and have become Republicans. When a party runs on a platform of gay marriage while the site of the Twin Towers has barely stopped smoking, I know they've lost all sense of perspective.

I will say that in all those years as a Democrat, I did find myself getting annoyed a lot with the assinine and paranoid beliefs of those around me. I just couldn't conceive of myself as "conservative," but I suppose I always had the makings, deep down. Or maybe what really happened is that the Democratic party leapt off the deep end a few years ago. Whatever the case, I'm done with the nonsense.

Hard work and personal responsibility, moral choices and integrity -- that's what made our country and our people great, not a whining sense of entitlement, or making excuses for criminal or immoral behavior.

Ha.. what a joke.. so instead of what you want to call "entitlement" by the people. . you now side with entitlement for big corporations....

Republicans are hypocrits....down to hte entire gay marriage stance.

You can believe religiously that gay marriage or being gay is wrong.. but there is that thing called seperation of church and state that is supposed to exists..

Oh.. and personal freedoms.. like the choice to love andmarry whomever you choose!

And I'm not gay.. I'm straight and married! But some of the nicest, most honest and sincere people I've met in my life have been and are gay!

BUT. THAT is not the real hot topics of this election anyway.. just pointing out how hypocritical republicans are wth their "no entitlement and welfare " chant meanwhile we've becomea nation of corporate welfare and entitlements for the likes of big corporations, CEO and the wealthy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 09:46 AM

3,009 posts, read 1,679,202 times
Tristan'sMommy, you misunderstand my statement about gay marriage -- this is not about whether gays are nice people, or whether they should be allowed to legally marry -- my point was that while our country was fighting for her life against Islamic terrorism, the most important issue on the Democratic platform was gay marriage. Now, I'm sorry, but that is just NONSENSE. It belies a complete lack of perspective, an inability to prioritize.

BTW, I feel the same way about the GOP preoccupation with abortion. I am not knocking that people feel these issues are important, but let's keep it in perspective. If sleeper cells of Islamic terrorists are awakened and go about dropping dirty bombs in subways and shopping malls, it won't really matter whether Bruce and Jerry can get married, or whether your niece can be denied her abortion.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:50 AM

5,218 posts, read 1,986,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Tristan'sMommy, you misunderstand my statement about gay marriage -- this is not about whether gays are nice people, or whether they should be allowed to legally marry -- my point was that while our country was fighting for her life against Islamic terrorism, the most important issue on the Democratic platform was gay marriage. Now, I'm sorry, but that is just NONSENSE. It belies a complete lack of perspective, an inability to prioritize.

BTW, I feel the same way about the GOP preoccupation with abortion. I am not knocking that people feel these issues are important, but let's keep it in perspective. If sleeper cells of Islamic terrorists are awakened and go about dropping dirty bombs in subways and shopping malls, it won't really matter whether Bruce and Jerry can get married, or whether your niece can be denied her abortion.

Hi Chatty Patty..

Well.. I remember the last presidential election quite differently than you do. I do not remember all the focus being on those types of issues'

Going back post 9/11.. Now.. let's face it.. wrong or right..mainstream our information is fed to us by the media. Whatever is in the media is the focus... the politicians will focus on what the people are focusing on.. SO.. if the people are telling them that gay marriage an abortion are the issues important to them.. then that is what they'll talk about.. Prior to 9/11 there was very little press about threats from Al Queda and lets face it.. the American public was simply unaware of what was going on.. it wasn't being reported.

What was being reported on was domestic at home issues.. Gore won the popular vote... and if we didnt have the ridiculous outdated electoral college Gore would have been president, as that is what the MAJORITY of Americans would have wanted.

9/11 focused our attentions elsewhere and it has been the focus ever since.

BUT.. and this is a big BUT... while we were all so focused on Iraq and war as our main issue, concern and focus President Bush has now appointed 2 (am I correct.. was it two or wsa it 1) supreme court judges all pushing his and the republican parties agenda. So while it is NOT AS important as other issues.. it's STILL extremely important.. because , for all those that are for a persons right to choose, having Bush appoint Supreme Court judges has..well dire consequences.

I don't remember the last election hearing much of anything on domestic issues so much as foreign policies and the like. As a result our domestic issues have increased, and now we need to a) bring the troops home and get out of a war that we were mislead into believing was just b)start building America's reputation and credibility once again with the rest of the world and c) Start fixing our domestic issues , particularly the economy!

Some ARE more important than others.. but not ONE is UNimportant. I don't think the Democrats were so wrong to focus on important issues like gay marriage or abortion or other such issues prior to 9/11..but I certainly didn't see them making that their Main focus AFTER 9/11!

And Bush.. he was too busy making IRAQ HIS focus after 9/11 when they had NOTHING whatsoever to do with 9/11.. meanwhile Bin Laden is still at large... And I don't think that anyway party is discounting or focusing too hard on one thing and ignoring another.. we have much tighter (although could be beter Im sure)security with firmed up anti terrorist response teams in majory cities and airports than ever before. I don't ssee that going away simply because there are other domestic and rights issues being debated now.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:05 AM

5,059 posts, read 2,796,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Has anyone looked at her credentials? if playing basketball qualifies one to be vice president then Im scared. She appears to be one of the most unqualified people in politics. Her stands are simple: Prolife, anti gay, anti environment, pro gun, and a hypocrite when it comes to marijuana, she will use it but doesnt want it legal. Sounds like a horrific choice, even for a Republican.

If McSame makes a choice this bad is he really qualified?
Must make Ralp Nader look pretty good to the Republicans

here we go again
she has more going for her than Obama
and if you want to place a bet on her beating him at basketball, I will make a wager on that too.
Am I dreaming here or what??
but keep yammering..........

Old 08-31-2008, 11:08 AM

23,062 posts, read 18,028,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Open your eyes. Aside from the abortion stance, Palin has quite a lot in common with Hillary. Both are from a middle-class upbringing; both are working moms; both are moderates; both reach across the aisle to work with those in other parties; both are interested in energy issues; both support the troops and make sure the war is well-funded. Both are STRONG, INDEPENDENT WOMEN.

The difference is that Hillary's party ran down her candidacy so Obama would win and Palin's party has elevated her.
What is the Palin position on Universal Health Care and Social Security. Is she closer to Clinton or McCain? What about Iraq? Her oil company wind fall profit tax and rebate is like that of Obama.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:09 AM

646 posts, read 1,082,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
here we go again
she has more going for her than Obama
and if you want to place a bet on her beating him at basketball, I will make a wager on that too.
Am I dreaming here or what??
but keep yammering..........

More than Obama???

Obama has been in the United States Senate for 3 1/2 years. Before that an Illinois State Senator for 8 years. He was a Constitutional Law Professor at the University of Chicago for 12 years. He was the first African American President of the Harvard Law Review. He has lived all over the United States and has lived in Indonesia. He has traveled all over the world including Africa. He has also the ability to cross party lines, inspire millions of americans, and can get things done.

Palin was beauty queen, tv show anchor, mayor of a town with 5,000 people and governor for only 1 year and a half of the third smallest population in the entire country. And she got her very first passport last year!!!

Try again.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:10 AM

Wonk Room McCain And Palin: Promoting Failed Consumer-Driven Health Care
In choosing Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK) as his running mate, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) has found someone who shares his vision of a radically different health care system which shifts the financial incentive and risk from the insurance company to the patient.

Is this really Hillaryish? Really?

Old 08-31-2008, 11:12 AM

Sarah Palin on the Issues
Hillary Clinton on the Issues

Don' t allow yourselves to be misled by others. I provide for the On The Issues site comparisons of Hillary and Sarah and you can use your own intelligence to determine how similar they are.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:15 AM

3,009 posts, read 1,679,202 times
Tristans'Mom, I was talking about the Kerry/Edwards campaign, and the way I remember it, gay marriage was THE main topic.

Now, I probably shouldn't out myself like this, but, I'm still a registered Dem (eek!). I went to our state fair that year and stopped by the Democratic Party table to peruse the literature and chat for a bit. They had a big chart board up with a magic marker, and they asked passers-by to contribute to the list of what the Dems considered the most important issues. A lot of social issues were listed, including abortion rights and gay marriage. I stood reading through the list several times in disbelief -- NOWHERE did it list terrorism or national security! Simply. Not. On. The. List. I said to the people manning the booth, "This is why you will lose again." They looked at the list a bit confused at first, and then they understood. I said "Don't you realize that many people have fears about terrorism? And you don't even have it listed as ONE of many concerns for you?" One of the women agreed with me, and went over to mark it down on the list.

That's what I remember. There was also a lot of discussion about the Dems' preoccupation with gay marriage and their attempts to downplay terrorism, and accuse the GOP of fearmongering, as if we all couldn't see for ourselves that we were under actual attack. Remember Kerry calling Islamic bombers a "nuisance"? I believe that really hurt him in the election. I also knew a lot of Jewish Democrats who left the party and began voting Republican. They wouldn't have done that (and I wouldn't have either) had the Dem party been more consistently focused on what I consider the important issues.

I try not to be a single issue voter, but when it comes to my life, sometimes I have to be.

(Edited to add that the state I was living in is a blue state and particularly liberal, which may account for my perception that the Dem focus was excessively on gay marriage.)

Old 08-31-2008, 11:15 AM

Sarah Palin on Civil Rights

Marriage only between a man and woman? When did Hillary say that. If you review the comparisons you will find it difficult as she has not needed to state a position on most national issues so how can anyone say they are similar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections