U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 04:19 PM

14,351 posts, read 15,092,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
It appears many citizens are insulted, including men who have a great deal of respect for women and have championed their causes.

Senator Obama's speech was amazing, and he and Senator Clinton have shown us all that a campaign can be tough & challenging, and can most certainly reveal a female candidate who is capable of being Commander in Chief.
very well said. And also that, it is about a persons skills and intellect, not that they are a "hockey Mom"---ugh so disingenuous and insulting to ANYONE who cares about human rights , I notice no one countered the misogynistic inference re: McCain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 04:23 PM

2,785 posts, read 4,044,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Glad to hear from a man who isnt a misogynist ...Some posts here today are VERY upsetting and set women back fifty years...........

Like the ones attacking Palin because she dare leave the liberal feminist plantation. God forbid a woman in 2008 not have the right thoughts and views. Diversity is only skin deep in this game, otherwise the sharp claws are out and blood is drawn. Bad kitties must be kept in line. Meow!

Old 08-31-2008, 04:45 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,563,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Again GREAT DAY.. keep in mind she will NOT be the president.. and she is with a party that backs the wealthy and corporations at the expense of the middle class..
The rich pay the lion's share of taxes. The lower-rung people pay no taxes. I see so many definitions of "middle class", I'm not sure where the lines are, separating them from the rest.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:45 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,091,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Like the ones attacking Palin because she dare leave the liberal feminist plantation. God forbid a woman in 2008 not have the right thoughts and views. Diversity is only skin deep in this game, otherwise the sharp claws are out and blood is drawn. Bad kitties must be kept in line. Meow!

Women today have to walk a fine line, not to get caught in the PC web of tortuous ever-changing mores. And one had better be up on the latest and most correct feminista-speak to stay in the game. Really shuts down dialogue in every walk of life. Too bad.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:24 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,563,268 times
Quote:
Hey..

B) While abortion is not something I would choose to do, my spiritual beliefs lead me to the conclusion that I have no right to make that choice for anyone else, nor does the government. That is a personal decision between the soul of the child, it's mother and whatever god that person believes in. Pro Choice is NOT Pro Abortion. The Republicans would like to take that choice away and dictate what a person should or shouldn't do in that regard. Not surprising as Bush has trampled on Civil Rights in the last 8 years.
How about for the baby? I think people should decide very early on in the pregnancy, otherwise they should keep the baby.

Quote:
C) Gay marriage.. also a matter of choice. In a land where there is supposed to be a seperation of church and state the Republicans constantly say that biblical Gay marriage is wrong wrong wrong. Well it may be wrong to religion.. BUT where talking about a legal instituation. If someone wants to be gay and marry someone else who is gay they have that right to do so.. and no one should remove that right to their life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.
I don't believe in changing the definition of marriage to suit whatever people believe in at the time. I'm not opposed to legal partnerships where they are not "husbands" or "wives," but hold legal advantages of a marriage...even though I don't like that idea.

Quote:
D) I'm so tired of Republicans favoring big corporations, particularly oil companies... among others. We are falling behind the rest of the world when it comes to fuel efficient cars etc. Reason, the car companies don't want to make that change because it hurts their bottom line.. well boo hoo.. the big CEO will have to take a 2 million bonus as opposed to a 4 million bonus .. (just throwing numbers and examples out there) Bottom line is our focus needs to be on developing bio fuels. I LOVED Barracks speech about revitalizing the auto industry here in the U.S creating fuel efficient cars and openning up some factories in places like Michigan and creating American Jobs with the creation of more fuel efficient cars. I LOVE the idea of investing more money in clean bio fuels and new energy sources that will be better for the environment and lift our dependence on foreign oil (thereby we wouldn't have to be so involved with the nutbags in the middle east!! constantly.
The job of car makers is to make cars. Hopefully they'll take advantage of new technologies as they are developed. As it is, new technology for bio-fuels is advancing quickly, it's not ready yet.

Quote:
And.. so that companies can "maximize" their bottom lines..they get tax breaks AND they get to take jobs overseas!! IN the end it is destroying American, killing jobs.. squeezing the middle class... and is just plain wrong. I liked that Obama has a plan to take AWAY tax breaks to companies that ship jobs overseas.. Im tired of calling tech support to get some Indian guy I can't even understand!!! Bring that job back home and keep the salary in the hands of the American's.. and hey.. get this.. the more jobs there are, the more money Americans can make the more they can spend on your products!!
The FairTax would bring jobs back, increase growth and investment, bring in more taxes without hurting us, strengthen the dollar against foreign currencies, and more. But you hardly ever hear a Democrat talk about it.
Quote:
The big oil companies constantly lobby against all of it and buy our politicians so that they can enjoy their big windfall profits.. in the meantime the workign middle class has to figure out how the hell they are going to feed, heat their house etc. Disgusting.. If Exxon is scared of bio fuels and cleaner coal and nuclear power.. because their profits will plunder.. but then a new industry and jobs will arise.. one that will benefit not only the people but the planet..
We still need oil for the foreseeable future. The big oil companies are not making that large of a profit if you look at it this way: "
Most financial institutions, such as commercial banks, are routinely more profitable than Exxon Mobil was in its third quarter. For example, Exxon Mobil's gross margin of 9.8 cents of profit for every dollar of revenue pales in comparison to Citigroup Inc.'s 15.7 cents in 2004. By percentage of total revenue, banking is consistently the most profitable industry in America, followed closely by the drug industry.
Altria Group, the maker of Marlboro and other cigarettes, made 22 cents for every dollar of revenue in 2004, and pharmaceutical company Merck made 25.3 cents for every dollar of revenue in 2004.

That was an old article, but still relevant.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 AM

5,218 posts, read 2,065,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
How about for the baby? I think people should decide very early on in the pregnancy, otherwise they should keep the baby.

I've already answered this in my initial post. If you only think that our bodies are just that..just a physical body... well then you have a point.. but again.. it is about that soul, the mother's soul..etc. Like I said..if the mother has an abortion than it's something that spiritual she reconciled with the soul.. and how do you know that it's not also the babies soul's choice NOT to be born at this time ! Maybe that soul's purpose was to exist only for the mother to have to make some choices...

Who am I or you to presume to know or interfere with individual souls path. That baby has free will as does the mother.. and no soul can force another soul to do something that is against their free will.

I don't believe in changing the definition of marriage to suit whatever people believe in at the time. I'm not opposed to legal partnerships where they are not "husbands" or "wives," but hold legal advantages of a marriage...even though I don't like that idea.

So then you are okay with the legal union with all legal benefits as a straight married couple for gay couples.. .. well the Republican party is not.

The job of car makers is to make cars. Hopefully they'll take advantage of new technologies as they are developed. As it is, new technology for bio-fuels is advancing quickly, it's not ready yet.

You're right.. it's not ready yet.. but if there were more resources dedicated to it it would advance much faster and be ready a lot sooner. As for making cars..not sure what you're point is. Europe already has cars that are far better fuel efficient than the U.S They also have a higher standard for cars as far as fuel efficiency is concerned? Why hasn't the U.S adopted similar policies? Becaues car making corporations lobbied AGAINST it in Washington D.C.

The FairTax would bring jobs back, increase growth and investment, bring in more taxes without hurting us, strengthen the dollar against foreign currencies, and more. But you hardly ever hear a Democrat talk about it.
We still need oil for the foreseeable future. The big oil companies are not making that large of a profit if you look at it this way: "
Most financial institutions, such as commercial banks, are routinely more profitable than Exxon Mobil was in its third quarter. For example, Exxon Mobil's gross margin of 9.8 cents of profit for every dollar of revenue pales in comparison to Citigroup Inc.'s 15.7 cents in 2004. By percentage of total revenue, banking is consistently the most profitable industry in America, followed closely by the drug industry.
Altria Group, the maker of Marlboro and other cigarettes, made 22 cents for every dollar of revenue in 2004, and pharmaceutical company Merck made 25.3 cents for every dollar of revenue in 2004.

That was an old article, but still relevant.
The not making much profit from oil companies is hogwash.. and btw, I also consider wall street and banks to be just as greedy and selfish as the oil companies.. just look at the handouts banks are getting from the Feds no the housing crisis! As for oil companies.. they are making RECORD profits in the trillions.. and CEO's an executives are getting SICK bonuses that are absolutely outrageous and that people couldn't possibly spend in their lifetime..

Oh.. and I count health insurance comapanies in that mix as well..

All have politicians bought and paid for in their pockets to pass their agenda for their bottom line.. NOT for the best interest of the country or it's people...

Old 09-01-2008, 08:36 AM

25,100 posts, read 23,475,213 times
Quote:
All have politicians bought and paid for in their pockets to pass their agenda for their bottom line.. NOT for the best interest of the country or it's people...
You were in business for yourself so, let me ask you this: What would you say if the government (any level) put a limit on the amount of commission you could charge a seller - then, put an extra tax on the actual commission you did earn?

Old 09-01-2008, 08:51 AM

5,218 posts, read 2,065,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You were in business for yourself so, let me ask you this: What would you say if the government (any level) put a limit on the amount of commission you could charge a seller - then, put an extra tax on the actual commission you did earn?

GreatDay you're talking apples and oranges.

The bottom line is that the corporations with their deep wallets have and are little by little destroying this country by squeezing it's people only to satisfy it's bottom line..

To "maximize" profits its taking American jobs overseas and THEN recieving tax breaks from the government to boot.

It lobbies against reform that would help the average American Citizen and in some cases the planet all to preserve the status quo and their profitability..

Profit at the expense of people and society is morally wrong and just plain wrong. ..

Old 09-01-2008, 08:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 23,475,213 times
Quote:
Profit at the expense of people and society is morally wrong and just plain wrong. ..
No - I am NOT talking apples and oranges. I am talking business.

And, the FACT is business measures profits as a percentage of return on their investments. And, the FACT is, the oil companies get far less percentage of profit (6 to 8%) than many, many, MANY other business including Microsoft, Hedge Funds, Utilities etc.

You look at $$$'s only - yet you fail to ask what do they do with those $$$'s. Well, a lot of those $$$'s are given to the companies owners - the shareholders - many of whom have 401K plans (and the like). Many of whom are retired and relying on those profits to live and to supplement their social security.

Many of those $$$'s go to R+D - new technologies.

Many of those $$$'s go to exploration - new energy sources.

Many of those $$$'s this week will go to repairing oil platforms and refineries hurt by the hurricane.

And so on.

Bet you did not stop to think about the above now - did you??

Old 09-01-2008, 09:01 AM

1,583 posts, read 2,945,554 times
Quote:
The bottom line is that the corporations with their deep wallets have and are little by little destroying this country by squeezing it's people only to satisfy it's bottom line..

To "maximize" profits its taking American jobs overseas and THEN recieving tax breaks from the government to boot.

It lobbies against reform that would help the average American Citizen and in some cases the planet all to preserve the status quo and their profitability..

The "average" American citizen just happen to OWN the corporations you just love to villify. Do you have a 401K or IRA with any mutual funds? If you do then you probably own "evil" energy stocks.

A corporation is just a legal piece of paper. The purpose of the corporation is to increase the value of the shareholders' stock. Any increase in taxes on corps get passed onto the consumer, your "average" American. Corps are there to make money, period. Please take an economics course or two.

Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections