Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:27 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,820,437 times

Advertisements

CNSNews.com - No Mention of MLK in Obama’s Speech (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=34836 - broken link)

Quote:
"He couldn't mention Martin, he couldn't mention the civil rights movement, he couldn't mention those who sacrificed and gave so much,” West said. “It's very, very difficult to actually create a new world if you don't acknowledge the world from which you are emerging."
Nah. What did they think? This couldn't be about anything other than The One.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 02:43 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,086,724 times
Has everyone lost their collective minds? Obama certainly DID pay homage to Dr. King during his speech. Did people NOT listen and then just make up their comments based on their own little paranoia?

Old 08-29-2008, 02:47 PM
LML

And it is that promise that forty five years ago today, brought Americans from every corner of this land to stand together on a Mall in Washington, before Lincoln's Memorial, and hear a young preacher from Georgia speak of his dream.

The men and women who gathered there could've heard many things. They could've heard words of anger and discord. They could've been told to succumb to the fear and frustration of so many dreams deferred.

But what the people heard instead, people of every creed and color, from every walk of life, is that in America, our destiny is inextricably linked. That together, our dreams can be one.

"We cannot walk alone," the preacher cried. "And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead. We cannot turn back."

America, we cannot turn back. Not with so much work to be done. Not with so many children to educate, and so many veterans to care for. Not with an economy to fix and cities to rebuild and farms to save. Not with so many families to protect and so many lives to mend. America, we cannot turn back. We cannot walk alone. At this moment, in this election, we must pledge once more to march into the future. Let us keep that promise, that American promise, and in the words of Scripture, hold firmly, without wavering, to the hope that we confess.

Thank you, God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.

From the full text of Obama's speech.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:49 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,605,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Has everyone lost their collective minds? Obama certainly DID pay homage to Dr. King during his speech. Did people NOT listen and then just make up their comments based on their own little paranoia?
Did not mention his name did he?

I thought he was talking about OJ Simpson myself.

Paranoia - Is a liberal on the day after the messiah spent 50 millions dollars and was suppose to be his day and instead McCain took all his thunder away and no one is talking about Obama at all, other then to hear the great one whine about Palin and her lack of experience.

Lol, lack of experience when Obama has ZERO experience running anything other then a hot dog stand, she has many years under he belt. Successful ones I might add.

Liberals spent 50 million dollars for their freak show on wheels while millions of Americans are losing there homes. And they say they are for us!

Old 08-29-2008, 02:54 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,343,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
"Because if you don't have any fresh ideas, then you use stale tactics to scare the voters. If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from. You make a big election about small things."

Old 08-29-2008, 02:54 PM

161 posts, read 383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post

I thought he was talking about OJ Simpson myself.

Paranoia - Is a liberal on the day after the messiah spent 50 millions dollars and was suppose to be his day and instead McCain took all his thunder away and no one is talking about Obama at all, other then to hear the great one whine about Palin and her lack of experience.

Lol, lack of experience when Obama has ZERO experience running anything other then a hot dog stand, she has many years under he belt. Successful ones I might add.

Liberals spent 50 million dollars for their freak show on wheels while millions of Americans are losing there homes. And they say they are for us!

That was probably the most ridiculous, waste of time post I have ever seen.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:56 PM
LML

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
"Because if you don't have any fresh ideas, then you use stale tactics to scare the voters. If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from. You make a big election about small things."
He sure nailed that one, didn't he?

10,545 posts, read 13,546,026 times
I think Obama did a good job of referencing that and placing the moment in historical context.

7,730 posts, read 14,113,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter4ever View Post
That was probably the most ridiculous, waste of time post I have ever seen.
Trust me, there are many more just like it.

41,325 posts, read 44,820,437 times
Hey, send a email off to the radical liberal Cornell West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections