U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 03:26 PM

116 posts, read 228,734 times

Advertisements

My thought all along was that Obama would win by a landslide. He is a fantastic pre-written speech communicator and McCain is quite painful to listen to. How someone sounds has a very big impact on what people think of them, regardless of the facts. I think the decision today by McCain to have a female as VP was a stroke of brilliance. I don't even care what her views are, as I am only talking about electability. I think some people give the average American voter much more credit than they deserve when it comes to making informed political decisions. There is a very small portion of the population that is actually informed and independent enough to make a smart choice. Then there are those permanently attached to the left or right, no matter how good their candidate really is. Then there is the majority of Americans that vote based on silly things such as looks, gut feeling or identity politics. If you look at the following of many political leaders, they will have a large group of people that vote for them as they identify with the candidate. Look at how many black people vote for Obama because he is black. Look how many women voted for Hillary because she is a women. I am sure some voters voted for them because they liked their platform, but there are large numbers of people that vote for someone just because they are like them and this gives them the feeling of being represented. My parents vote this way. It is a horrible way to make a decision, but it happens much more than many people would like to believe. Now there are a lot of Hillary supporters that are very upset that Obama won and then even more upset that Hillary was not picked as VP. I guarantee you that a lot of the women will now vote for McCain, as he picked a women for VP. IDENTITY POLITICS at its best. It will happen.

I thought Obama would win by 10 lengths, now I think he will win by a nose. He will still win, but it will now be a lot more fun to watch.

For the record, I am either voting for Obama or for a write in. I am not voting for McCain, as he does not reflect my views and ideas. I also get a kick out of listening to all the passionate people crying with excitement and acting like they know what is best for everyone else. People need to wake up and realize that no matter who gets elected, it will not change the world as we know it. Politicians say what they say to get elected. It is not about "change". It is about getting yourself elected. Anyone that thinks otherwise is fooling themself. This is why we constantly go through the same old cycle. We keep switching the parties that are in control. Nothing ever really changes permanently for the better. We have ups and downs and some people are happy, while others are not. Then we flip flop everything and do it all over again. People really need to stop getting all emotional thinking this guy will change everything and stop being so upset at others that don't think like you. We should all live our lives in the best possible way we can, setting an example for our friends and families. Help people on an individual level and always try to do the right thing. Enjoy your lives now and appreciate what you have. Every minute you waste being upset that the other side is in power is a minute of your life that you will never get back. Enjoy life while you can. It is a short ride.

Last edited by Fresh Start Today; 08-29-2008 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 04:27 PM

I think Obama will probably destroy McCain in the debates, as far as speaking. I am not sure what will happen in the VP debates. That could be more fun to watch.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:29 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Start Today View Post
My thought all along was that Obama would win by a landslide. He is a fantastic pre-written speech communicator and McCain is quite painful to listen to. How someone sounds has a very big impact on what people think of them, regardless of the facts. I think the decision today by McCain to have a female as VP was a stroke of brilliance. I don't even care what her views are, as I am only talking about electability. I think some people give the average American voter much more credit than they deserve when it comes to making informed political decisions. There is a very small portion of the population that is actually informed and independent enough to make a smart choice. Then there are those permanently attached to the left or right, no matter how good their candidate really is. Then there is the majority of Americans that vote based on silly things such as looks, gut feeling or identity politics. If you look at the following of many political leaders, they will have a large group of people that vote for them as they identify with the candidate. Look at how many black people vote for Obama because he is black. Look how many women voted for Hillary because she is a women. I am sure some voters voted for them because they liked their platform, but there are large numbers of people that vote for someone just because they are like them and this gives them the feeling of being represented. My parents vote this way. It is a horrible way to make a decision, but it happens much more than many people would like to believe. Now there are a lot of Hillary supporters that are very upset that Obama won and then even more upset that Hillary was not picked as VP. I guarantee you that a lot of the women will now vote for McCain, as he picked a women for VP. IDENTITY POLITICS at its best. It will happen.

I thought Obama would win by 10 lengths, now I think he will win by a nose. He will still win, but it will now be a lot more fun to watch.

For the record, I am either voting for Obama or for a write in. I am not voting for McCain, as he does not reflect my views and ideas. I also get a kick out of listening to all the passionate people crying with excitement and acting like they know what is best for everyone else. People need to wake up and realize that no matter who gets elected, it will not change the world as we know it. Politicians say what they say to get elected. It is not about "change". It is about getting yourself elected. Anyone that thinks otherwise is fooling themself. This is why we constantly go through the same old cycle. We keep switching the parties that are in control. Nothing ever really changes permanently for the better. We have ups and downs and some people are happy, while others are not. Then we flip flop everything and do it all over again. People really need to stop getting all emotional thinking this guy will change everything and stop being so upset at others that don't think like you. We should all live our lives in the best possible way we can, setting an example for our friends and families. Help people on an individual level and always try to do the right thing. Enjoy your lives now and appreciate what you have. Every minute you waste being upset that the other side is in power is a minute of your life that you will never get back. Enjoy life while you can. It is a short ride.
I support Obama. I am 50/50 on who will win. It could go either way. Depends on who gets their voters out and who wins white women at this point.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I support Obama. I am 50/50 on who will win. It could go either way. Depends on who gets their voters out and who wins white women at this point.
Yep, you are right. That is why McCain picked a woman VP. He is hoping to get enough of them to vote using identity politics. It is a smart move. He will tighten the race that way. I still pick Obama by a nose.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:40 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,990,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Start Today View Post
Yep, you are right. That is why McCain picked a woman VP. He is hoping to get enough of them to vote using identity politics. It is a smart move. He will tighten the race that way. I still pick Obama by a nose.
This election is too important to leave it to chance...we need to make sure we get friends/family/co-workers out to the voting booths.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
This election is too important to leave it to chance...we need to make sure we get friends/family/co-workers out to the voting booths.

Unfortunately, most people do not vote with knowledge. Most people vote by identity, gut feeling are by old stereotypical views. This goes both ways.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:49 PM

124 posts, read 317,325 times
How beautifully said. Thank you. I enjoyed reading this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or