U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 PM

7,730 posts, read 8,664,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What point are you trying to make? That the Democrats have been buying the black vote for years by offering governmental hand outs and pandering to blacks?
Pittance for all the years they tried to keep them out of public white schools while opposing the Civil Rights Act.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 10:23 PM

11,128 posts, read 8,498,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
His points while they may be a bit outdated and while he could have left out "hillbillies", his points were generally well taken here.
Well I take to task this entire notion of absolutism regardless of political leanings. This idea that Republican or Democrat is a definition of a manner of thinking is simply ridiculous. Republicans and Democrats both come in a wide variety of flavors and opinions, from the uber conservative to the coastal kumbya liberal. There is just no such thing as quantifying political philosophy into "this or that".

Our electing of a President in this country has become a perpetual gross pageant of celebrity and personality worship by a mindless mob that endlessly seeks a new political messiah to deliver the masses out of bondage by the previous messiah that was supposed to deliver them from the former messiah, and so on.

While I'm sure it is easy to lean up against ones fixed political beliefs, point to the other side and say, there lay the problems. While blissful and even sometimes true, it does little to progress anything but the lingering perpetuation of externalization of blame.

Before people became Democrats, Republicans, Liberals or Conservatives, even before they were Christians, Jews, or Muslims or even agnostics, in America, chances are they were born into believing absolutism and I just find that both to be sadly incurious and intellectually bankrupt.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:44 AM

306 posts, read 667,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Dumbo is really tough with a teleprompter, he's another lost demo without it...
I am lost, why are you calling Bush a Democrate?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:17 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,903,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Incredible times we live in now and we are fortunate to have an incredible man, an articulate leader in Barack Obama. He stands for everything that is RIGHT. What an incredible speech he gave. McCain couldn't give such a speech. Obama gave a great speech on Race earlier in the year. Neither McCain nor anyone in the Republican party could make such a speech.

But why do Republicans exist? They're racist, divisive, pompous and intrusive. They are detached and have a false sense of superiority. They count among their constituents some of the worst people in this society: the klan, rednecks, hillbillies, racists everywhere, narrow-minded, old and calloused. The picture of the fat, pudgy narrow-minded, racist white Republican man is the symbol of the party.

They don't know how to run government. Don't know how to manage money. Create wars to justify their existence. Perpetuate wars to delay having to show their lack of a domestic agenda. Underestimate countries and people they don't understand or know a thing about. Prefer leaders who are village idiots. Pick women as tokens for high positions despite being against women's rights. Are naive enough to think that a "war tax" is not a tax, that people in this country pay more for everything because of their warmongering and financial ineptness.

Can't believe Republicans exist. They obviously are dragging the country down. Looking forward in a few months when Barack and Biden take the helm, and the regressives take their rightful place..on the bottom. Token pick for VP by McCain today doesn't overshadow this reality.
So after listening to Obama's speech, you hate Republicans even more? Didn't that Hitler fella have the same impact on those Nazis? Alas, you were just born a few decades too late.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:26 AM

2,316 posts, read 3,977,988 times
Quote:
Incredible times we live in now and we are fortunate to have an incredible man, an articulate leader in Barack Obama. He stands for everything that is RIGHT. What an incredible speech he gave. McCain couldn't give such a speech. Obama gave a great speech on Race earlier in the year. Neither McCain nor anyone in the Republican party could make such a speech.

But why do Republicans exist? They're racist, divisive, pompous and intrusive. They are detached and have a false sense of superiority. They count among their constituents some of the worst people in this society: the klan, rednecks, hillbillies, racists everywhere, narrow-minded, old and calloused. The picture of the fat, pudgy narrow-minded, racist white Republican man is the symbol of the party.

They don't know how to run government. Don't know how to manage money. Create wars to justify their existence. Perpetuate wars to delay having to show their lack of a domestic agenda. Underestimate countries and people they don't understand or know a thing about. Prefer leaders who are village idiots. Pick women as tokens for high positions despite being against women's rights. Are naive enough to think that a "war tax" is not a tax, that people in this country pay more for everything because of their warmongering and financial ineptness.

Can't believe Republicans exist. They obviously are dragging the country down.
Looking forward in a few months when Barack and Biden take the helm, and the regressives take their rightful place..on the bottom. Token pick for VP by McCain today doesn't overshadow this reality.
Oh give me a break. Did you even read this to yourself before you posted it? Derogatory blanket generalizations are not indicators of open-minded/erudite individuals. If you want to have an intellectual conversation then write an intellectual post. As it is, I can't even take you seriously and I'm not sure how anyone could.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:37 AM

186 posts, read 341,885 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, but that statement is almost as insulting as Obama believing that all young people are naive enough to be attracted to him because he can put on what basically boils down to a rock concert.

I'm a 20-something, well-educated, open-minded female, and I am not impressed by Obama's "speeches." I don't think I fit into your description above, but I am voting for McCain come November.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:46 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,903,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musincy View Post
I'm sorry, but that statement is almost as insulting as Obama believing that all young people are naive enough to be attracted to him because he can put on what basically boils down to a rock concert.

I'm a 20-something, well-educated, open-minded female, and I am not impressed by Obama's "speeches." I don't think I fit into your description above, but I am voting for McCain come November.
If that is the hateful message that Alexus got from that speech, I am very concerned.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:09 AM

5,427 posts, read 5,424,183 times
Quote:

Can't believe Republicans exist. They obviously are dragging the country down. Looking forward in a few months when Barack and Biden take the helm, and the regressives take their rightful place..on the bottom. Token pick for VP by McCain today doesn't overshadow this reality.
I'm so sad. I really wish I could live out where you live where all the intellectuals gather to discuss such stimulating concepts such as why a political party exists.

San Francisco, where you intellectuals have your sanctuary law which shields felons from prosecution thereby breaking the actual federal LAW of the normal people, right? AND big surprise the felons being shielded are "immigrants". Yes I'm so jealous I can't live there.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:26 AM

538 posts, read 532,964 times
Smile Opinions-Simply Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
That's just the majority of Republicans on CD (which is why they are underground). Most of the Republicans I know in the "real" world are decent people. That's why you have to leave this place for days (often weeks) at a time so you can get a reality check. No one should post here everyday, it's not healthy and the views expressed here (on both sides) are much more radical than middle America. If I defined society soley by what I read on this board, I'd be praying everyday for the world to end.
IMO your statements have merit--I have noticed what you describe. However, I think that political forums in general will unfortunately boil down to exactly what we observe on CD. You will have the every day or frequent posters that chip and hack non-stop. And yes, I am also glad that I don't define society solely by what is projected on this board.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:40 AM

11,128 posts, read 8,498,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
IMO your statements have merit--I have noticed what you describe. However, I think that political forums in general will unfortunately boil down to exactly what we observe on CD. You will have the every day or frequent posters that chip and hack non-stop. And yes, I am also glad that I don't define society solely by what is projected on this board.
I happen to think it is much more than mere political forums, I have come to realize that a very divided and partisan view of politics exist today and it is everywhere. While in person, people are less inclined to be so vocal about espousing their views so bluntly, I am willing to bet that most still think in such a manner. After all, how can they escape it when even the nightly news paints this subject into such absolute terms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections