Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Glad you think Carter's education proved he was a good president!
I don't think I said that, did I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 01:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Truman was the only president who served after 1897 not to earn a college degree: poor eyesight prevented him from applying to West Point, his childhood dream, and financial constraints prevented him from securing a degree elsewhere.[6] He did, however, study for two years toward a law degree at the Kansas City Law School (now the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law) in the early 1920s.
Apparently, it was not necessary to have a college degree to study law at that time.

Also according to Wiki, Eisenhower did not have any further education past West Point.

And I am not advocating for/against anyone. I'm just saying, there have been presidents, in my lifetime, who have not had more education than Ms. Palin.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:16 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
...as long as McCain isn't the father, it'll probably be ok. She'll just hand the kid over to one of the nannies.
LOL. Lets hope not but what a juicy scandal! It doesn't matter if that job goes vacant for months, particularly since she's not going to add much value to it anyway.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:18 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
From Wikipedia:

Apparently, it was not necessary to have a college degree to study law at that time.

Also according to Wiki, Eisenhower did not have any further education past West Point.

And I am not advocating for/against anyone. I'm just saying, there have been presidents, in my lifetime, who have not had more education than Ms. Palin.
Studying law and going to West Point are both wa-a-a-y beyond studying journalism. And she studied in Idaho--not Columbia or Northwestern or some other place where you might find a respected journalism school. Give me a break. I ran a publishing business and even though we were in the journalism business we never hired fools who got lame degrees like that. It's like studying basket weaving. Actually, basket weaving might be harder.

I hate to say it--but it's the kind of degree a beauty pageant contestant gets.

I hear she's very bright and an intelligent woman despite this degree. I certainly hope so. A journalism degree. God.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
she might become pregnant, but the hard right knew palin was not their smartest move already. i sincerely feel its a faint. starting yet another war or perhaps a skilled smear campaign will be the next move of the hard right.
oops misspelling. feint - a fake attack not faint - to lose consciousness.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:46 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_light View Post
If Palin, who is pro-life, has to replace McCain and just happens to become pregnant, how will she handle the daily responsibilities that she sworn to uphold?

The 3:00 a.m. call might come during the time of her baby illness and plus being pregnant, tough choice to make, will she leave her sick child to go to Iraq, disasters, etc. if needed? What will come first, her sick child or country, and do they let pregnant women go over-seas? Dads are great, but a mother’s care is so much more powerful and dearing. Pro-life doesn't believe in contraceptive, do they?

Can Palin learn in a few months all that she needs to know in order to become a fit and ready president by day one if the situation should occurs?

What your take on this? Curious points, mind sharing anyone?
I have heard dumb questions in my life, but I think this one takes the cake. She has had four children to take care of and be pregnant at the same time. Anybody that can do that should be able to do just about anything. Women have been doing it for centuries. Being a mother of five, I imagine she is very good at multi-tasking.

But to answer the question--that is why we have an order of who is next in line to being president. When the president cannot fulfill the president's (I almost said his.) duties, the VP takes over. I believe next in line is Speaker of the House, another woman.

As for the education she has, maybe that is the change we need. I have often wondered where some of these educated idiots get their ideas. I don't really know her or about her yet, but if I believe in a man enough to vote for him for president, I think I can trust him to pick a very capable VP. One of the best presidents we have had (Gerald Ford) was picked out by congress. Some of our worst presidents were picked out by the electorate.

Last edited by NCN; 08-30-2008 at 03:04 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 11:15 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times
Quote:
I don't think I said that, did I?
Well since you were defending Palin's qualification despite her lack of advanced educaton, comparing her to Carter, do I assume you were agreeing that education is an important factor?

Old 08-30-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
From Wikipedia:

Miltiary officers of the caliber of Eisenhower have many many hours of graduate level academic education throughout their careers. War College for example.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have heard dumb questions in my life, but I think this one takes the cake. She has had four children to take care of and be pregnant at the same time. Anybody that can do that should be able to do just about anything. Women have been doing it for centuries. Being a mother of five, I imagine she is very good at multi-tasking.

But to answer the question--that is why we have an order of who is next in line to being president. When the president cannot fulfill the president's (I almost said his.) duties, the VP takes over. I believe next in line is Speaker of the House, another woman.

As for the education she has, maybe that is the change we need. I have often wondered where some of these educated idiots get their ideas. I don't really know her or about her yet, but if I believe in a man enough to vote for him for president, I think I can trust him to pick a very capable VP. One of the best presidents we have had (Gerald Ford) was picked out by congress. Some of our worst presidents were picked out by the electorate.
This anti intellectual strain in the party is astounding. On one hand the Republicans are railing about how "anyone" can pop out babies (not my opinion) and on the other, motherhood now qualifies you to do anything! My husband's mother had 10, she should be the ruler of the known world by this logic! Different skill sets, great skills to be a mom, but being a mom does not make you an expert in the fields of law, civil budgets, foreign policy, and macro economics.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:35 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
I checked that site, and could not find anything about risk factors, even with the search engine. Here is what I found on Down Syndrome: Prenatal Risk Assessment and Diagnosis - August 15, 2000 - American Family Physician

"If a patient has had a trisomy 21 pregnancy in the past, the risk of recurrence in a subsequent pregnancy increases to approximately 1 percent above the baseline risk determined by maternal age. "

Ms. Palin does not have Down's, so the second part of the quoted statement does not apply. I would be happy to see any other information about this issue.

Yeah, I kinda know Governor Palin doesn't have Downs. Thanks for the 411. *sigh*

You basically said what I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections