U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-30-2008, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 9,460,243 times
Reputation: 8505

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I don't live in MIchigan I had to leave a month ago as my husband lost his job and we lost our home. We live in North Carolina now nice place and husband found a job with the skills he had. I from Michigan and I believe in Obama that there will be change , not right away as he is getting a huge mess. But I want to some day go home and hope that Michigan will be once the state it was. I believe with Obama as president I will return to Michigan again.
I hope you do, too.
I am sorry that you lost your home.
I don't think the Republicans really know how much people are suffering out here.
Thank you for your sincere post.

Obama '08
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2008, 08:40 PM
 
Location: West Texas
917 posts, read 1,116,684 times
Reputation: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_light View Post
ITA!
(The USA is applauding, and let all say AMEN!)
You don't speak for me so the USA CAN'T be applauding
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Holly Springs
3,526 posts, read 5,952,791 times
Reputation: 2324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
No their not, far from it. And obviously you exagerate, the middle class carries the brunt of this country's tax burden and that aint gonna change any time soon no matter who's in office.
No, I did not exagerate. The top 1% paid 40% of all federal income tax and top 25% paid 86% of all federal income tax. That leaves 75% of us to shoulder 14% of the federal income tax. That is hardly the middle class bearing the brunt of income tax. Most couples bringing in 100k a year or less, get every penny back, and several get more than they paid in!

All easily verified here: The Tax Foundation - Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data and here: http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/indtaxstats/article/0,,id=133521,00.html (broken link)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Austin TX
1,565 posts, read 2,976,580 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I don't live in MIchigan I had to leave a month ago as my husband lost his job and we lost our home. We live in North Carolina now nice place and husband found a job with the skills he had. I from Michigan and I believe in Obama that there will be change , not right away as he is getting a huge mess. But I want to some day go home and hope that Michigan will be once the state it was. I believe with Obama as president I will return to Michigan again.
We also moved from Michigan (2005)! and I too believe that Michigan once again will rise!

North Carolina is a great state (I visit twice a year)! I wish you and your family the best of luck in your new home!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Holly Springs
3,526 posts, read 5,952,791 times
Reputation: 2324
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I don't live in MIchigan I had to leave a month ago as my husband lost his job and we lost our home. We live in North Carolina now nice place and husband found a job with the skills he had. I from Michigan and I believe in Obama that there will be change , not right away as he is getting a huge mess. But I want to some day go home and hope that Michigan will be once the state it was. I believe with Obama as president I will return to Michigan again.
I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Like many that have moved here already, you may find NC is the place to be. The opportunity here is almost boundless. What part of NC are you in?
I wish you the best of luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 09:41 PM
 
2,258 posts, read 2,547,217 times
Reputation: 464
I left Michigan also this past june and thanks to dubya my wife has found a fantastic job in Indiana and we are living it up. I have never been so well off in my life. When I get working we will be in the stratosphere. I guess its the difference between a blue state bogged down by a democratic gov that sticks the shiv into small business as she props up the auto industry and a red state that welcomes supports and gives tax advantages to business.

Michigans problems were set into motion long before Dubya ever got into office. Remember the signature on the bottom of NAFTA is William J Clinton


Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I hope you do, too.
I am sorry that you lost your home.
I don't think the Republicans really know how much people are suffering out here.
Thank you for your sincere post.

Obama '08
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Limestone,TN/Bucerias, Mexico
1,452 posts, read 1,939,176 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
No, I did not exagerate. The top 1% paid 40% of all federal income tax and top 25% paid 86% of all federal income tax. That leaves 75% of us to shoulder 14% of the federal income tax. That is hardly the middle class bearing the brunt of income tax. Most couples bringing in 100k a year or less, get every penny back, and several get more than they paid in!

All easily verified here: The Tax Foundation - Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data and here: SOI Tax Stats - Individual Statistical Tables by Tax Rate and Income Percentile (http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/indtaxstats/article/0,,id=133521,00.html - broken link)
You are wrong, wrong, wrong! I say this from our personal experience with paying the US Treasury a lot of money every year.. If it weren't *so* personal I'd post the amount we've paid every year with a very small LLC, which made well under $100K with my husband and I making small, barely survivable "partner" salaries..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 09:55 PM
 
52 posts, read 51,126 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
That would not be fair would it?

What government programs are those?

Furthermore, I clearly recall that when Bill Clinton was our LEADER we had a balanced budget and NO foreign debt. The Dollar was strong and fuel could be had for $1 a gallon!

WHERE ARE WE NOW? DEEP IN DEBT, HAVE LOW VALUE OF THE DOLLAR, HI FUEL COST, HOUSING BUST this has been the worst 8 years in this nations history!
Did you know that in 1998 was the first time the price of diesel past the price of gas.

Did you know there was more jobs lost in 1998 and 1999 than in the full 8 years bush has been in office.

The 8 years MR Bill was in office my part of the state lost about 18000 jobs.

the 8 years bush has been in office not only did we get most of the jobs lost back but they are higher paying jobs.

I can go on and on with this but some of you just do not want facts
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 10:01 PM
 
2,258 posts, read 2,547,217 times
Reputation: 464
And the balanced budget was an accounting shell game that Clinton didnt even realize was happening, until it was happening. Clinton balanced the budget, what a load of crap


Quote:
Originally Posted by james2009 View Post
Did you know that in 1998 was the first time the price of diesel past the price of gas.

Did you know there was more jobs lost in 1998 and 1999 than in the full 8 years bush has been in office.

The 8 years MR Bill was in office my part of the state lost about 18000 jobs.

the 8 years bush has been in office not only did we get most of the jobs lost back but they are higher paying jobs.

I can go on and on with this but some of you just do not want facts
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 PM
LML
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,092 posts, read 5,348,987 times
Reputation: 5045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
And how are you going to pay for this? Tax every successful person to pay for the others failures? NO MORE HANDOUTS for the lazy butts!

Fair taxation for ALL.

Force people to get a job so they can use my roads, schools, hospitals, bridges.
A lot of the people labled as "failures" today were "successes" 8 years ago. There are a whole lot of people out there who had a good, steady job with health care benefits, owned their own homes, owned their own SUVs, took great vacations, sent their kids to college....were what you or anyone else would call successes. 8 years of Bush later they are working 2 minimum wage jobs, no insurance, house in foreclosure, kids can't finish college, SUV repossesed....and labeled as failures. And the ironic part is that many of those same people voted for Bush because they didn't want "failures" profiting from their hard work and thought that only lazy bums would ever end up in the same condition they now find themselves in. Karma's a *itch. Or, as was said much better, "Send not to ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top