Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:14 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
Copied from the first page of this thread. I'm curious why SHE is the one choosing life instead of her daughter. Does the victim have no say?
Your hitting the main point of my contempt for the fundies, i.e., they keep trying to force their beliefs onto OTHERs, even though what goes on in OTHER people's bedrooms and doctor's office is NONE of their business. Idiots!

Out of one side of their mouths they scream about getting government off the backs of the people then out of the other side of their mouths they try and force the government to stick its nose into everyone's bedroom and doctor's office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 03:16 PM

22,915 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
By removing CHOICE from the victim you are EMOTIONALLY raping her. How is that lying?
It isn't lying, but it is nonsense.

The only person removing choice from a rape victim is the rapist, and he ought to be the one punished. If a child results from the rape, it isn't the child's fault, and it certainly isn't the rape victim's fault. But that hardly justifies killing the child.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,589,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
I think the OP is referring to her complicit support by making rape/incests appear to be not a "big deal" even saying if her 16 year old was raped she wouldn't have to give it much thought, her daughter would have the baby (no mention of being upset for her child or the anguish the family would feel). It also explains why Alaska has the highest amount of rapes and incests of any state. One in three Alaska Native and American Indian women will be raped during according to an Amnesty International study reported in 2007.
Alaska Native people in Anchorage were 9.7 times more likely to be sexually assaulted than others living in the city between 2000 and 2003, according to one study cited in the report (so much for progress since she's been in office).

adn.com | crime : System faulted for high Alaska Native rape rate (http://dwb.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/8825231p-8726532c.html - broken link)
So basically, the victims of incest are to be FORCED to have a child, even if they cant deal with the emotional scars, psychological issues etc?....Is that what is advocated by those aginst abortion, even at the expense of the life of the mother....Do they realize HOW UNDERREPORTED crime statistics or RAPE and INCEST are....how victimized many women have been?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It isn't lying, but it is nonsense.

The only person removing choice from a rape victim is the rapist, and he ought to be the one punished. If a child results from the rape, it isn't the child's fault, and it certainly isn't the rape victim's fault. But that hardly justifies killing the child.
But rapists are rarely imprisoned for more than a few years, there are too many of them. Our prisons do not have the capacity for this.

Why punish the VICTIM....it makes no sense.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
But rapists are rarely imprisoned for more than a few years, there are too many of them. Our prisons do not have the capacity for this.
And abortion solves this how ... ?

We need harsher penalties for rape. You got no argument from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Why punish the VICTIM....it makes no sense.
Exactly. Why punish the innocent child?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:25 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,750 times
Quote:
When did Palin say that if her daughter was raped, she wouldn't give it much thought? And did she say she wouldn't be upset??
Go back and read her comments, it's clear. She said I would emphatically choose life. Look up emphatic (without hesitation). I also said, she does not mention being distraught over the rape, which she does not. That's baffling to me.

Quote:
Alaska has the highest amount of rapes and incest because of Palin? Are you serious?
Do you understand the difference between correlation and causation? They are not the same and my reference refers to how the complicit/nonchalant attitude about this crime correlates to the lack of progress being made in this area. Alaska has the highest amount of rapes and the lowest prosecution. If she were really advocating feminism (as her FFL membership professes), we would have seen more work being done to address this during her time in office but her "dismmissal" of this being a priority shows in the numbers. It's obvious that preventing rapes/incests and prosecuting them were not given the same priority as making victims of rapes/incests feel like criminals for not wanting to deliver a child they do not want.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:25 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,721 times
Mark S.

Do you have any idea how dangerous pregnancy is for a young girl? You would have an 11, 12, or 13 year old place her life in jeopardy so that the "child" could live? Which life is more important the born or the unborn child?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:26 PM

So then if a woman is raped by her uncle, you believe it is right she be forced to have the child, then put it up for adoption, so you believe the law should precede her free will, if she cannot tolerate the pregnancy and attempts suicide several times, what do you advocate? Getting treatment for the mother and letting her decide, or imprisoning her and forcing her to give birth?

This is a very far-reaching and presumptuous Orwellian law if indeed you are saying she should be FORCED to give birth.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 08-30-2008 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: prof

Old 08-30-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Do you understand the difference between correlation and causation? They are not the same and my reference refers to how the complicit/nonchalant attitude about this crime correlates to the lack of progress being made in this area. Alaska has the hight amount of rapes and the lowest prosecution. If she were really advocating feminism (as her FFL membership professes), we would have seen more work being done to address this during her time in office but her "dismmissal" of this being a priority shows in the numbers. It's obvious that preventing rapes/incests and prosecuting them were not given the same priority as making victims of rapes/incests feel like criminals for not wanting to deliver a child they do not want.
If you're saying that as governor, Palin ought to have done more to prosecute cases of rape and incest, you may have a case. I don't know. (Never lived in Alaska.) May well be true.

But to claim that folks who believe in the sanctity of life are advocating rape... that's just absurd.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:31 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,721 times
Quote:
But to claim that folks who believe in the sanctity of life are advocating rape... that's just absurd.
No one here said that. I said that Ms. Palin is doing that very thing (which I'm sure she is unaware of) by taking the CHOICE away. I believe in the sanctity of life as well, I CHOOSE that for myself. Each person has a right to CHOOSE to believe in that. What people don't have a right to do is force their beliefs onto another person which is what Ms. Palin would do (in her own words mind you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections