Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,330,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
Sounds like a narrow version of the world. Not every American has $1000 laptops, $500 cell phones (who pays that much for a phone anyways?) or a $400k mortgage. That is a big generalization.

Here is the other thing, not everyone around the world is beating down the door to get in. A lot of Americans are leaving, when they can, and starting new lives abroad.

What you wrote is a stereotype and generalization that doesnt fit everyone. America is not a one size fits all country. But it may be a bit more self-reflective then anything.

I would have had to write a very very very long post to include "everyone"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Some Americans get their view of the world outside their own skin from sources like Rush Limbaugh. The public schools have not been good at teaching critical thinking in recent decades.

That's funny I haven't heard Rush in probably 5 years.....maybe longer. I tell you what I see you can make all the assumptions you want. The people I see complaining the most are going out spending $100 in a night at the bar/restaurant then can't pay their bills. Have unlimited minutes on their cell phones and practically everyone I know has a computer....again all I can speak for is what I see I'm not in Kansas or California or any other state or city but I am in Charlotte.

Never mind I guess America is in last place with creature comforts.....hows that A/C feel?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,839,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I know lots of people who are materially worse off than 8 years ago. I don't think the Bush presidency has been kind at all to most Americans.

Some people did well in the past 8 years, but that isn't the whole story. Bush's economic policies have been disasterous for many Americans. Also, the Iraq war has been one big waste of money, and now McCain wants to start another war.
Please help clairify a confusion.. What policies have been a disaster for many americans? The fact that people went out and spent beyond their means is not due to "Bush"..

Old 09-06-2008, 12:18 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,372,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's funny I haven't heard Rush in probably 5 years.....maybe longer.
Yet you felt compelled to respond to my comment on Limbaugh...

Quote:
I tell you what I see you can make all the assumptions you want. The people I see complaining the most are going out spending $100 in a night at the bar/restaurant then can't pay their bills.
Maybe you should stop hanging out in bars, then.

Quote:
Nevermind I guess America is in last place with creature comforts.....hows that A/C feel?
Why? Did you install it? Should I be concerned?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:19 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,121,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
I am genuinely wondering. Are there people who truly believe the US is better now then it was 8 yrs ago? I have been out of the country for a while now, so I really dont know. With the war, the economy, the deficit, our standing with the world, have we improved?

Why would you vote for McCain? Why would you not?

Play nice now, grown ups have no need for name calling and mudslinging.
I can't compare the pre 9/11 world with the post 9/11 world. I know I am safer now then I was on 9/11, whether I knew it or not. I know everything has had to be reorganized and rearrnaged to accomodate the threat of terrorism. I know there have been no terrorist attacks on American soil since 9/11. I am so grateful buildings aren't falling down around my head. So grateful.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:26 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,372,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I can't compare the pre 9/11 world with the post 9/11 world. I know I am safer now then I was on 9/11, whether I knew it or not. I know everything has had to be reorganized and rearrnaged to accomodate the threat of terrorism. I know there have been no terrorist attacks on American soil since 9/11. I am so grateful buildings aren't falling down around my head. So grateful.

Let me present some compelling evidence that the "war on terror" is largely a manufactured artifact useful to the feds to squelch dissent and foster compliance from the American people.

I live fairly close to the US-Mexico border. I know and speak to Border Patrol agents from time to time. In this time of "war", large segments of our border are wide open to illegal crossings. Your "concerned government" is convinced that terrorists would never use this avenue of approach to enter our country in order to plant bombs or murder Americans on a mass scale. They leave it open to millions of illegal immigrants to come here and lower the wage scale for working Americans, though.

Ask yourself why dedicated, fanatical terrorists would not take advantage of this serious lapse in security.

The answer is revealing.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:29 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,121,938 times
Quote:
Let me present some compelling evidence that the "war on terror" is largely a manufactured artifact useful to the feds to squelch dissent and foster compliance from the American people.

I live fairly close to the US-Mexico border. I know and speak to Border Patrol agents from time to time. In this time of "war", large segments of our border are wide open to illegal crossings. Your "concerned government" is convinced that terrorists would never use this avenue of approach to enter our country in order to plant bombs or murder Americans on a mass scale. They leave it open to millions of illegal immigrants to come here and lower the wage scale for working Americans, though.

Ask yourself why dedicated, fanatical terrorists would not take advantage of this serious lapse in security.

The answer is revealing.
OldGringo, you left out the "compelling eveidence".

Old 09-06-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Yet you felt compelled to respond to my comment on Limbaugh...
......waiting.....

Quote:
Maybe you should stop hanging out in bars, then.
Maybe I should move because I live in the middle of uptown Charlotte which is nothing but stores/resturants/bars.....So it would tend to lead to me knowing people that go to them....do you know people that get out of the house?

Quote:
Why? Did you install it? Should I be concerned?
If I installed it you could be certain you'll be fine. The point was as we sit in air conditioned homes and type on computers to people all over the world and then we complain about that.....

If America is so bad what's keeping you on the computer and not solving some issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections