Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I don't think so.

ETA - Palin, not Pain
A lot of folks may. The Republican Party has been know as the Family Values party in the past, who knows how they'll feel about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
I don't feel like reading all of the pages of posts

I don't personally care if she's single and pregnant (they're getting married anyway)

I feel bad for the kid. People have sex, that's the way it is. Fundie shame about that is the problem.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:42 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why don't you let the WOMAN make her OWN DAMN DECISION about what she can and cannot take on?

I mean, who are YOU to say? Buncha gossipy old ninnies!

Just because YOU couldn't do it, doesn't mean SHE can't, or won't be able to. It's not up to YOU to judge or decide what she can or cannot take on, and don't for a SECOND think that anyone is going to believe that you wouldn't vote for her because you care one ounce for the "welfare" of her children. If Dems were so concerned about her children, they wouldn't have attacked any of the following:

1) The legitimacy of a downs syndrome baby's birth
2) The chastity of Bristol Palin
3) The cynical timing of a subsequent Bristol Palin birth, OR launched criticism on Bristol's actions and decision to keep said baby.
See the problem is is that you are making it all about women. My comments were about both men and women and the myth of having it all. Priorities exist for a reason.

I'm sorry that you have to make this entirely an emotional issue, but that's your issue. I respect your right to make your emotions your priority.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:43 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah, you have "doubts" because you've sold your critical thinking skills out the window in favor of wholesale acceptance of conspiracy theories spoon fed to you by Democratic blogs.

So committed to the ruse, Sarah Palin gained weight on purpose and strapped a pillow to her torso for months!
Just like Bree in Desperate Housewives.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:43 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
I haven't read all 19 pages of this thread but Miborn asked for proof of whether teen pregnancy happens more in red states. I don't know the "Guttmacher" organization, but this is what I found:

According to this site: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/2006/09/12/USTPstats.pdf, here are the top ten states for teen pregnancy:

1) Nevada
2) Arizona
3) Mississippi
4) New Mexico
5) Texas
6) Florida
7) California
8) Georgia
9) North Carolina
10) Arkansas

Of these states, only one (California) went blue in the 2004 election.

Of these states, only two (New Mexico and California) went blue in the 2000 election.

These are just the facts. I'm not projecting any opinions here. You can make your own opinions.
Do you think these voters will care more or less, about the issue as it relates to the Mother?

Old 09-01-2008, 12:44 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
I have this horrible intuitive sensation, which started yesterday and increased today, that McCain is in on a plan to "throw" the election to Obama -- kind of like how wrestling matches are fixed.

I just don't know what they could possibly be thinking. And if the girl is going to marry the boy, why hasn't she done so already? The only thing that could possibly redeem McCain/Palin in my eyes is if I were to learn that neither of them knew about the pregnancy until this morning . . .

To reiterate, my problem with this scenario is not the liberal stance that it is somehow proof of hypocrisy; rather, it is proof of failing to prioritize your commitments in life, and proof of poor judgment.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
What is sexist is perpetuating the myth that women or men can do it all. It can't be done. Something has to give. If you choose to have a lot of kids, something has to give somewhere else. Same if you want to be a high-powered executive. Thinking that one can have it all, if s/he works hard enough at it, only leads to unhappiness and dissatisfaction for most people.
Are you living in her home?

For CENTURIES families have raised kids together. Hillary IT TAKES A VILLAGE.

ONLY in the REAGAN Yuppie years did lazy parents want no kids and two BMWs.

My dh's Greek family did it for decades. My mother helped me. My mother IN law helped me. My mother went to live with her grandmother at age 8 in 1932. My grandmother was one of 8 ion 1904 and shared child care duties.

What about widows and widowers? What about immigrants working in fields and crap jobs.

Asians, Africans all people everywhere share children responsibility and don't say the mothers dont work because they do.

The blue collar neighborhood where my office is is FULL of people my age, 55 who had BOTH parents working in a steel mill and have 8 brothers and sisters.

Just because it doesnt match your life doesnt mean other peoples lives are wrong. And you're completely dismissing that she has a husband and older daughters to help out.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:47 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
See the problem is is that you are making it all about women. My comments were about both men and women and the myth of having it all. Priorities exist for a reason.

I'm sorry that you have to make this entirely an emotional issue, but that's your issue. I respect your right to make your emotions your priority.

You don't respect jack. You're a fauxgressive. So full of fake concern it's almost comical.

You are neither equipped, nor qualified, to judge someone or decide what they can or cannot take on. Especially not perfect strangers.

Since you weren't going to vote for her anyway, why don't you see if your fake concern works better with the gals down at the beautyshop while you try to help them cure themselves of wanting to vote for a strong woman for national office?

Once they recognize their own shortcomings, like you have, and successfully manage to "transfer" those shortcomings onto Mrs. Palin, you're job will be done.

Goodluck. Hope! Change! Obama 08!

Old 09-01-2008, 12:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post

I don't personally care if she's single and pregnant (they're getting married anyway)

I feel bad for the kid. People have sex, that's the way it is. Fundie shame about that is the problem.
Yes.
And I agree with Helenejen about the myth of having it all.
Sooner or later, something does give.
Poor Bristol. What a way to begin a marriage, let alone parenthood.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I have this horrible intuitive sensation, which started yesterday and increased today, that McCain is in on a plan to "throw" the election to Obama -- kind of like how wrestling matches are fixed.

I just don't know what they could possibly be thinking. And if the girl is going to marry the boy, why hasn't she done so already? The only thing that could possibly redeem McCain/Palin in my eyes is if I were to learn that neither of them knew about the pregnancy until this morning . . .

To reiterate, my problem with this scenario is not the liberal stance that it is somehow proof of hypocrisy; rather, it is proof of failing to prioritize your commitments in life, and proof of poor judgment.
Being a John Grisom fan I have to say I'm considering all the possible scenarios. But not from a judgment perspective. /from perspective of a plan when the one he first wanted maybe got blocked.

But it's intriguing to wonder. Throw it and laugh at "you got what you wanted"?

It may be "go for broke the heck with you and if you vote for Obama at least I tried and didn't have to put up with a VP I didnt like.

You couldnt make this stuff up this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections