Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post

With this Palin revelation perhaps some of these girls, I mean their parents, will feel like it's okay to take the baby to term without shame.
But whats so great about teenagers having children???

It is a bad idea for our nation to have poorly educated kids parent, more poorly educated kids...
Unless you are afraid that McDonalds would run out of burger flipers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 PM

269 posts, read 542,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

Jimmy Swaggart and Ted Haggard would agree.
Well, what of it? Human beings are deeply flawed, often especially in the area of sexuality, but that doesn't mean it makes sense to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Love and sex are one of those very deep core issues, one of those things that define who you are as an individual, as a part of your community and family. Public schools are not really good purveyors of that kind of complex morality, and I don't blame Palin for her belief about it, even if it looks to you like she "failed."

If my daughter were seventeen and pregnant, I would hope that she would do just what Bristol is doing. I would be thrilled to be a 40something grandma, though disappointed that the girl made her decision so rashly.

Children, as they say, are a blessing from the Lord. That's my belief.

I don't want to cram it down your child's throat at the government school, so maybe you could extend me the courtesy of not promulgating a purely crass physical view of sexuality to me and mine.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
Well, what of it? Human beings are deeply flawed...
Oh, I agree there. It becomes a problem when these people try to hold others to standards that they themselves don't meet. That's really the basis of this whole discussion.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Conservatives don't get those diseases
Well, they don't if they adhere to the beautiful, traditional teaching about lifelong monogamy.

"Those diseases" didn't become epidemic till the ascendancy of a "progressive" ethic on sex.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:31 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Hey, it's not a big deal. After all, they're from Alaska!

Not really a joke here. And I'll leave it to others to make the jokes about the need to find some way to pass all those long, cold, dark nights. Alaska is certainly a modern U.S. state, but in truth, outside of the one real city, Anchorage, and the larger towns, it's a rugged place. I suspect that the more rural areas of many northern regions--northern New England, upstate New York, upper Michigan, northern Wisconsin and Minnesota, etc.--are similar. Life in places like this, where people stay close to the land, work hard, do what they must to make it, and do what they can to prosper, supports different priorities than those found in cushy suburbia. It's not that people are exactly going to say that a teenager's best move is to get pregnant, just that they will take it in stride. Here is a link to an article pulled from the net today which deals in part with this idea: In Wasilla, Pregnancy Was No Secret - TIME

The young lady is fortunate to have a supportive family. That reality is good for her, and actually might ultimately be good for Sarah Pailin's role in the presidential campaign. It may end up looking very positive for a solid family to deal with a situation like this in a no-nonsense, but loving and supportive fashion.

People make mistakes. Young people make a lot of mistakes. Life happens. There have been teenaged pregnancies as long as there have been teenagers. People manage. It works out. Step out of your cushy suburban, or safely enlightened little yuppie urban, existences for a while, and look around. Really look, and you're likely to see that Bristol Pailin is a basically good kid who has made a mistake. And that the mettle of her mother as a mother is not measured by whether she has exercised iron-fisted control over a daughter old enough to be approaching young adulthood, but how well she supports and guides that daughter through the aftermath of a stumble the daughter has taken on life's long road.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Oh, I agree there. It becomes a problem when these people try to hold others to standards that they themselves don't meet. That's really the basis of this whole discussion.
Well, we will have standards of some sort. I would rather strive for a higher standard than a lower one. Often I do not meet my own standards in many arenas; this doesn't mean I abandon them or declare them "irrelevant in the modern world."

Isn't that true of you, too?

Old 09-01-2008, 08:34 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Quote:

Children, as they say, are a blessing from the Lord. That's my belief.
I believe that are the result of a good time in bed!!!! and sperm connecting with an egg!! But maybe you went to school in Alaska or Texas...kids here are not told much .

If there was some better SEX education there would be a lot less teen pregnancies...

And what is bad about a good SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP with out having children? Sex is great!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:36 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Oh Please! Knock off the stupid hyperbole! You don't know the family - you don't know the people -

Give US a break!

I know enough! And I heard enough of this repub stupidity!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
That's nice. You sound like a real prize. My ex who wasn't able to be on the pill medically (autoimmune disorder) would've been a great match for you. She'd suffer the same fate as Palin's daughter because of your refusal
I'm a woman.... And, um, already married.

(I went to high school in HI, one of the most progressive states in the Union, and received plenty of dubious education about all kinds of bizarre things there, including condoms.)

Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Well, we will have standards of some sort. I would rather strive for a higher standard than a lower one. Often I do not meet my own standards in many arenas; this doesn't mean I abandon them or declare them "irrelevant in the modern world." Isn't that true of you, too?
Yes, Yes, a thousand times Yes. I have standards, you have standards, most of us have standards. But NOTHING gives anyone the right to try and shove THEIR standards down MY throat or down YOUR throat, the way the evango-fascists are trying to do with our nation. Whether the evango-fascists see their own hypocrisy here or not, it is still hypocrisy and is still wrong, now and always, forever and ever, world without end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections