Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,072,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
Well, they don't if they adhere to the beautiful, traditional teaching about lifelong monogamy.

"Those diseases" didn't become epidemic till the ascendancy of a "progressive" ethic on sex.

Some of "those diseases" have been around for 100's, maybe thousands of years.

The world doesn't operate on "ifs".

You say, """If my daughter were seventeen and pregnant, I would hope that she would do just what Bristol is doing. I would be thrilled to be a 40something grandma, though disappointed that the girl made her decision so rashly.""

Maybe teenagers pick up on this "Oh, No, you got pregnant, OH THANK YOU for making me a grandma" mixed message ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 PM

269 posts, read 540,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes, Yes, a thousand times Yes. I have standards, you have standards, most of us have standards. But NOTHING gives anyone the right to try and shove THEIR standards down MY throat or down YOUR throat, the way the evango-fascists are trying to do with our nation. Whether the evango-fascists see their own hypocrisy here or not, it is still hypocrisy and is still wrong, now and always, forever and ever, world without end.
Well, don't you think it is "shoving standards down my throat" when your government-school health teacher tells my 15-year-old daughter all about the wonder of dental dams for oral sex?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:41 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,072,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
I believe that are the result of a good time in bed!!!! and sperm connecting with an egg!! But maybe you went to school in Alaska or Texas...kids here are not told much .

If there was some better SEX education there would be a lot less teen pregnancies...

And what is bad about a good SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP with out having children? Sex is great!

Oh, you are so CRASS! Imagine! Enjoying sex for sex sake!!! How positively sinful..

Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Some of "those diseases" have been around for 100's, maybe thousands of years.

The world doesn't operate on "ifs".

You say, """If my daughter were seventeen and pregnant, I would hope that she would do just what Bristol is doing. I would be thrilled to be a 40something grandma, though disappointed that the girl made her decision so rashly.""

Maybe teenagers pick up on this "Oh, No, you got pregnant, OH THANK YOU for making me a grandma" mixed message ????
Of course the world operates on "ifs." That condom only works IF the kids involved use it correctly, every time. Everything in life hinges on "if."

I agree, there is a mixed message about teen sex and pregnancy, and much of it stem from our total unwillingness to acknowlege teenage love and relationships as being anything other than "horniness" to dispose of in the most convenient way possible.

I think encouraging young marriage would be a fantastic step in the right direction.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:43 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,410,064 times
Quote:
Isn't that true of you, too?
Well, after thinking about it for awhile - if I had any standards, I probably wouldn't be participating in the political section of the city-data.com forums. So no, I really don't have any. I'm thoroughly immoral. I enjoy sleazy trysts with televangelists as much as the next person, and I smoke crack and worship Satan. But I'm not going to tell everyone else they should do the same and promote public policies to that end. Even if you were to vote me for president.

I think the government should stay out of people's personal lives.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Oh, you are so CRASS! Imagine! Enjoying sex for sex sake!!! How positively sinful..
Yes, it is a sin. I am told that the literal Greek translation for "sin" is "to miss the mark," or to fail to see the main point. Sex is physically pleasurable, but that is not what it is entirely about. Why would you want to teach your children something else at the government school?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:45 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,242,872 times
quote=Barbie1964;5080534]Abortion is not the Liberal way. I am pro-CHOICE, not pro-ABORTION. I believe that women should be able to have control over their reproductive rights

Quote:
Clearly Sarah Palin failed as a mother. Of course the girl will marry the boy, of course she will keep the child. She will have to toe the Repuglican line. Sad.
[/quote]
Well thanks so much from all the mothers whose teenage daughters got pregnant, I am sure all are pleased to know they have failed as a mother. What exactly consitutes failing as a mother since you seem to know so much about this? People's kid doing drugs, falling into a gang, getting pregnant, running away from home, discovering they are gay. Are all these parents failures too. Because if they are then a huge majority of parents in the US are failures according to your standards. You know you bring up your kids the best you can and sometimes it works and sometimes things backfire. That's when you pull your kids close, tell them you love them no matter what and get on with life. This is the 20th century not Leave It To Beaver World. Crap happens.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,598,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Palin sold a state plane on Ebay just reported on Larry King by some dumb reporter woman sticking up for her...she told Larry King at least she did something and that shows some experience! What a joke!
Well, she sold the governors private plane to keep the states costs down, and I'm sure to lower her carbon footprint.

Too bad Al Gore couldn't and hasn't done the same.....

Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

I think the government should stay out of people's personal lives.
I agree with this. I would actually support the abolition of public schools altogether, but I think it's reasonable to ask them not to instruct my children in the area of sex, which I think they're sufficiently proven they have no real understanding of.

Abstinence ed is a mere middle ground to me... it is worse than having NO sex ed at school, but better than the standard-issue variety I got as a teenager, which was completely disgusting and demeaning.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 PM

8,023 posts, read 12,169,131 times
Quote:
Children, as they say, are a blessing from the Lord. That's my belief.
I respect your belief ... but I also believe that children are a burden on taxpayers' wallets, a disaster to well groomed neighborhoods, and a nuisance when allowed to scream & run around in stores and restaurants. That's my belief.

Quote:
I don't want to cram it down your child's throat at the government school, so maybe you could extend me the courtesy of not promulgating a purely crass physical view of sexuality to me and mine.
Would you agree with me that the school system should be privatized? I can name a plethora of reasons why abolishing the public system would be beneficial to all people (childless or not).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections