Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 03:09 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,590,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I would have been happy with Condy, too because I adore her. I think she's had enough, though and will happily return to academia. I don't know much about KBH, but I just went to her site and I donna lie tha look of er (me being Irish) I did like her sponsorship of the "homemaker IRA" though. What a great idea!

But, as a beautiful not-yet-old woman myself who is also smart and talented and forced to work every day I have to say--as Vronsky's mother said to Anna--that Sarah Palin has "stolen my heart" Maybe the experience of her daughter's pregnancy will help temper some of her views on reproductive rights.

Condi is too close to Bush, probably not a good choice. Kay Bailey I think is pro-choice, and McCain needed pro-life candidate. I really like Palin, just don't know if she can handle all the press and the stress involved, along with her OWN newborn. Just have to wait and see what happens in the next few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,064 posts, read 17,943,637 times
I have to admit that this issue is personal for me, too, and that's why I am so disturbed by this thread. I was pregnant before we got married. I was 23, not a teenager, and the father and I were engaged to be married. He became very upset and abusive, though, when we found out I was pregnant because he said he wasn't ready for kids. He tried to get me to abort and, when I refused, he struck me in the stomach with a cast iron skillet. I left him.

I was raised in a very strict Catholic household. My parents were Democrats. When I told my mother the news, she was very upset. The first words out of her mouth were, "What will my friends think?" My father wanted me to come right home and he said he'd protect me. But how could I, with mom giving me fevered instructions about how I'm to tell no one, how I'm not to speak with my closest relatives or her friends, and how I'm basically to cut off all contact with those dearest to me?

An older lady I knew, a Republican, evangelical Christian took me in and offered me a home, kindness and support. Ironic, huh? My fiance and I reconciled before our baby was born and "made things right." But I will never forget how my mother treated me and how I was cast as a pariah.

My God, I would have given ANYTHING to have a mother like Sarah Palin, one who wasn't ashamed of me. Indeed, the Republican woman who took me in became like my mother and I asked her to be my son's godmother at his christening. I will never forget her goodness as long as I live. An evangelical outreach got me my initial prenatal care and even held a baby shower for me to help me out with maternity clothes and baby needs.

The Democrats in my life -- my mother, my fiance, our friends -- wanted me either to abort or to simply go away. I had been a Democrat, too, and when I faced my first difficult time in my life and got a glimpse of how people responded, it was the first time I saw people for what they were. Imagine how shocked I was, being told how elitist and hard-nosed Republicans were, when I found help and support from Republican women. It was an eye-opener.

1,083 posts, read 2,286,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Her daughter is a month away from being 18. I am sure they consulted with her before hand.

Miss Bristol needs to take some responsibility, you know. She did get herself pregnant, no one else did it for her.

I'm sure you'd much rather have them hide her away for a few weeks, get an abortion, and let her live out the rest of her teenage years? Of course. As if that would make everything alllllll better.
Responsibility for what? Didn't you know all of this was part of a political ploy to endear the family even more to the Right wing? Now you have two poster children for the pro-life movement: A mom that delivered a down syndrome baby (which is mentioned everytime they say Palin's name) and now her teenage daughter is having a baby out of wedlock and she's proof that her life isn't destroyed. You do know all teenagers have parents like Bristol. Anyway, they're celebrating right now and it's the Right that will beat this issue for their gain, not the Obama camp.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:12 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,189,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I know, but I was addressing a point in the previous posts...

You don't have to be the person to empathize; you have to be able to try and put yourself in their shoes...

I totally agree about how the fundamentalists would treat this...
Yes, I feel for the girl in the aspect that she's 17 years old...and pregnant. I had my first child at age 21. Even then, it was an awesome responsibility and life-changing event. I am 45 years old now, and understand the responsibility of parenthood. I feel for her in that regard. I believe that the daughter will have the best of everything as far as prenatal care and attention; that the baby will be born into a family that loves him/her. In that regard, that's a good and positive thing. I certainly don't wish to judge Palin for her daughter's pregnancy. On the other hand, as you said as well, the fundies would spin this the total opposite way if the same story would have come out in the Obama camp; I guess, that's my point...how the same issue can be interpreted two different ways depending on which side wants to look at it.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,789,535 times
to the op assertion...Get over it. The daughter is 18 in October and nobody is asking you all to pay her way. They are not soft weak Democrats treating women like young kids like you are all her "father/paternal figure" and encouraging State Support in every facet of their lives, housing, food stamps, medicaid, job programs, free trade schools, subsidy on utilities and the list goes on and on.

My grandmother married at 17 and stayed married her entire life she didnt need some political operatives telling her what she was capable or allowed to do and not her mother either.

Typical Democrat philosophy nobody knows how to run their lives they need government or strangers telling them what to do. Waht a joke. This is the PERFECT illustration of the difference in parties.

D = Big Brother and bossing everyone around and big government
R = Less government and get lost..........

Old 09-01-2008, 03:15 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,933,900 times
Ok, teatime, but surely you can see people as individuals and not parties. I get where you're coming from more now, but of course the opposite scenario can play out as well.

I'm glad Sarah isn't ashamed of Bristol too! IMO there's nothing to be ashamed of.

But imagine if in your situation you had the added burden of having the blogosphere and internet, etc, discussing your choices and in many cases, saying really rotten things about you? That is the way it is. In the past it wasn't said online. That's what I'm criticizing Sarah for. At best, I'll grant her the potential to just have not understood the ramifications of being such a public figure. However I think she should have anticipated it.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:16 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,182,669 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me? Before, maybe, but at what cost? This is a SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL who I'm sure is pretty familiar with the internet and at any moment can read some completely horrible things that are said about her, all of which would not have been said if her piece of crap mother didn't make her a public figure.

JEEZ.

You would think that the people who are supposed to be on their side would have a little more compassion.

wait a minute
YOU are blaming this girl's Mother for waht a** holes are saying???
you are the one ragging her out!!
No, this would not be happening, except for the SOB's doing the talking!
and LOVING IT
what a load of creeps who just gets lower and lower!!!!!!!!!!

3,353 posts, read 4,933,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
to the op assertion...Get over it. The daughter is 18 in October and nobody is asking you all to pay her way. They are not soft weak Democrats treating women like young kids like you are all her "father/paternal figure" and encouraging State Support in every facet of their lives, housing, food stamps, medicaid, job programs, free trade schools, subsidy on utilities and the list goes on and on.

My grandmother married at 17 and stayed married her entire life she didnt need some political operatives telling her what she was capable or allowed to do and not her mother either.
Once again - you are clueless.

234 posts, read 293,185 times
Quote:
Her mother's judgment is the issue.
I would go step further and say that more importantly McCain’s judgment is the issue. If he knew (and I doubt this very much) about Palin’s daughter pregnancy, and choose her as a running mate and strengthen his message for moral values in order to suck up to the ultra conservative evangelic base …. I wouldn’t call this a good judgment.
And if He didn’t know with all the time and recourses He had …. Then that show that He chooses her in the last moment. And that shows how unpredictable and self centered He can be.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:17 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,182,669 times
what family ahs NOT had this happen?? But the OBAMA FREAKS are just that
FREAKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections