U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,522,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Why would an Irishman refer to the US as the "colonies"? The US was never a colony of Ireland.

And the vast majority of Irish support Obama
You're kidding, right? Ireland, Wales and Scotland are part of Great Britain, centered in England, and, yes, we were a British colony. Northern Ireland is still part of GB but the rest of Ireland is now independent.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 PM

9,047 posts, read 8,091,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
We did...I absolutely LOVE Ireland: the countryside, villages, cities, and the people. It was my second time there and I miss it already! Dublin is a facinating city...very exciting both during the day and during the night. Really enjoy the literary pub crawl!
God the food is awful.

Most of central Europe has the same quaint villages without the frigid weather year round. Plus a better connected rail system.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:27 PM

3,256 posts, read 3,245,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
You're kidding, right? Ireland, Wales and Scotland are part of Great Britain, centered in England, and, yes, we were a British colony. Northern Ireland is still part of GB but the rest of Ireland is now independent.
IRELAND is most certainly not part of Great Britain, it was an occupied country. They had a revolution to get the Queen out of there. The six counties in the north are still held by the Queen but their day will come.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
No, not odd, just obviously not your husband's friends and family. We were in the same towns/cities as you mentioned and then some.... We had some great conversations, and I was amazed at how well-informed everyone over there is about our politics.
Just for grins the Irish Bookmakers are going gangbusters for this election. Obama is favored though.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
IRELAND is most certainly not part of Great Britain, it was an occupied country. They had a revolution to get the Queen out of there. The six counties in the north are still held by the Queen but their day will come.
So, you are denying that Ireland was under English rule and part of GB? Heh. And maybe your family are IRA terrorists or funneled money to them?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:46 PM

I am simply saying that it was an occupied country for 800 years. Sinn Fein and Free Staters alike would agree.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I am simply saying that it was an occupied country for 800 years. Sinn Fein and Free Staters alike would agree.
I'll take that as a yes to the IRA question. Irish-American money funded much of the terrorist activities and violence. How proud you must be!

When I was a little girl, I was actually pummeled by Irish Catholic thugs at my parochial school. They asked me why I wasn't wearing green on St. Patrick's Day and I hadn't a clue, except to say I wasn't Irish. GREAT movement.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I'll take that as a yes to the IRA question. Irish-American money funded much of the terrorist activities and violence. How proud you must be!

When I was a little girl, I was actually pummeled by Irish Catholic thugs at my parochial school. They asked me why I wasn't wearing green on St. Patrick's Day and I hadn't a clue, except to say I wasn't Irish. GREAT movement.
As my family is English, Welsh, Scots and Irish AMERICAN, it would be an odd thing to be involved in. If you were in an AMERICAN parochial school, shame on the nuns for not taking care of you, I never had such problems. Since the occupation of Ireland essentially ended in the 30s except for the 6 counties, and I am only 49 it would be ridiculous to assume I would be involved in stopping the occupation. My father in law and mother in law have been involved in the Irish Peace Process since before it was popular since they are Catholic/Protestant. But since the OP was making a joke, and I was making a joke in response, I am sorry Irish Americans beat you up.

But many consider NI is under the same type occupation as Iraq.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:00 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,604,351 times
Quote:
I don't know about her because I don't think she's Irish but the Kennedy's sure funneled a ton of money in.

I am glad they seem to have finally worked it out though.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
I don't know about her because I don't think she's Irish but the Kennedy's sure funneled a ton of money in.

I am glad they seem to have finally worked it out though.
Precisely wings, my husband is Irish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections