Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:08 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We, in Ireland, can't figure out why you people are even bothering to
hold an election in the United States. On one side, you had a pants wearing female lawyer, married to another lawyer who can't seem to keep his pants on, who just lost a long and heated primary against a lawyer, who goes to the wrong church, who is married to yet another lawyer, who doesn't even like the country her husband wants to run !

Now...On the other side, you have a nice old war hero whose name
starts with the appropriate 'Mc' prefix, married to a good looking
younger woman who owns a beer distributorship!!

What in God's name are ya lads thinkin over in the colonies??????
mmmmmmm..... free beer ? ! ? ! ? !

Old 09-01-2008, 03:24 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
I actually just got back from Ireland and the UK and most of the people we met are keeping up with the American elections....and love McCain. I'm sure his name doesn't hurt (for the Irish). Interesting, the Irish, Scottish, Welsh, and smalltown English (Lakes Region) folks we met love McCain and the Londoners love Obama.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
How do they look at the election?

Through the bottom of a beer glass?

Old 09-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Hardly....we were meeting with a group of teachers and none of us drink.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:32 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Hardly....we were meeting with a group of teachers and none of us drink.
Well you met with an odd assortment of Irish then, because my husband's friends and family are Obama supporters. They are Galway, Dublin, Donegal, Cork and Dingle. They are all praying for the miracle to happen after 8 long years. Maybe the Scots might like McCain as he is considered Scots-Irish.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:42 PM

No, not odd, just obviously not your husband's friends and family. We were in the same towns/cities as you mentioned and then some.... We had some great conversations, and I was amazed at how well-informed everyone over there is about our politics.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
No, not odd, just obviously not your husband's friends and family. We were in the same towns/cities as you mentioned and then some.... We had some great conversations, and I was amazed at how well-informed everyone over there is about our politics.
That is because they are well-educated. Island of saints and scholars and all that. I love going home with him to Dublin because I can have wonderful, challenging political conversations about all sorts of countries and subjects because they are well read and informed. Now that I am learning to speak Irish, it is even more interesting because I can go to the west and speak to those in the Gaeltacht. I hope you had a wonderful time in Ireland.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
We, in Ireland, can't figure out why you people are even bothering to
hold an election in the United States. On one side, you had a pants wearing female lawyer, married to another lawyer who can't seem to keep his pants on, who just lost a long and heated primary against a lawyer, who goes to the wrong church, who is married to yet another lawyer, who doesn't even like the country her husband wants to run !

Now...On the other side, you have a nice old war hero whose name
starts with the appropriate 'Mc' prefix, married to a good looking
younger woman who owns a beer distributorship!!

What in God's name are ya lads thinkin over in the colonies??????

Why would an Irishman refer to the US as the "colonies"? The US was never a colony of Ireland.

And the vast majority of Irish support Obama

Old 09-01-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Why would an Irishman refer to the US as the "colonies"? The US was never a colony of Ireland.

And the vast majority of Irish support Obama
Tis a joke, the poster I mean! lol
Considering the US and Irish are brothers in revolution. lol!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
That is because they are well-educated. Island of saints and scholars and all that. I love going home with him to Dublin because I can have wonderful, challenging political conversations about all sorts of countries and subjects because they are well read and informed. Now that I am learning to speak Irish, it is even more interesting because I can go to the west and speak to those in the Gaeltacht. I hope you had a wonderful time in Ireland.

We did...I absolutely LOVE Ireland: the countryside, villages, cities, and the people. It was my second time there and I miss it already! Dublin is a facinating city...very exciting both during the day and during the night. Really enjoy the literary pub crawl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections