Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:00 AM

163 posts, read 908,562 times

Advertisements

Maybe I need to take off my tinfoil hat, but I think McCain may have picked Palin largely due to the fact that she has a pregnant teenage daughter.

He needed a way to secure the tens of millions of evangelical votes. There has been a lot of talk this year about evangelicals moving towards the democrats, and he needed a way to change their minds.

Pro life evangelicals will now rally around this young girl, who has chosen to "do the right thing", and keep the baby.

I'm no fan of McCain, but I find it HIGHLY unlikely that he and his entire campaign are so incompetent, that they didn't know about this pregnancy, or didn't think it would be a big deal.

I think this is all grand theater, part of well planned script, designed to guarantee the vote of all the ultra-conservatives who don't like really McCain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 07:04 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times
Anyone want to take this one?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:05 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
Maybe he would show just as much "smarts" as president

Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 AM

280 posts, read 686,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
Maybe I need to take off my tinfoil hat, but I think McCain may have picked Palin largely due to the fact that she has a pregnant teenage daughter.

He needed a way to secure the tens of millions of evangelical votes. There has been a lot of talk this year about evangelicals moving towards the democrats, and he needed a way to change their minds.

Pro life evangelicals will now rally around this young girl, who has chosen to "do the right thing", and keep the baby.

I'm no fan of McCain, but I find it HIGHLY unlikely that he and his entire campaign are so incompetent, that they didn't know about this pregnancy, or didn't think it would be a big deal.

I think this is all grand theater, part of well planned script, designed to guarantee the vote of all the ultra-conservatives who don't like really McCain.
I agree it could be one of the reasons, but very risky. It could just as easily back fire on him if the evangelicals see it as another immoral family. As a mom I know you can teach and preach to your kids all day long. However, they will test the waters for themselves, you can't make their decisions for them or be with them 24/7. I think it would be much more scandalous had the girl had an abortion.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:11 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Well, great idea to prance a 17 yr old around in cute maternity clothes to make more of America just think this is an ok life choice.... It's a huge distraction. I can't think they WANTED it. Also, while some evangelicals may be all giddy over her not having an abortion, they are not going to be all worked up about her having premarital sex. So it could go either way. Far Right conservatives already don't love a mother of 5, inlcuding a special needs baby, working...much less being VP. So now having a special needs baby and a pregnant teen... that wont sit too weel w/ them. (This is not me, this is things I've read from OTHERS who are conservatives on other boards.)

IMO, McCain really didn't know, but now they have no choice but to act as if they did and go along with it.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:13 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times
Glad you brought this up. I have been wondering the same thing. Because the alternative -- that he didn't know and she was not properly vetted -- just defies belief. Could they be that incompetent? Hard to believe. Could they be that strategic and devious? Yes, perhaps.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:44 AM

163 posts, read 908,562 times
Like I was saying...

Evangelicals rally behind Palin after pregnancy news - CNN.com

Old 09-02-2008, 12:17 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
I'm pro-life, too, but if they're doing this to drive home a point, why not put the kid up for adoption? It's one thing to cheer the choice to let the child live, but it's another to say the girl should be screwing up her life by raising the child and getting married at 17. She's just a kid herself.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:48 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem." ~William of Ockham

Old 09-02-2008, 12:55 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,502 times
Meh. I dont think he knew Bristol was pregnant. I still think his initial goal with picking Palin was a last ditch attempt to grasp up the Clinton supporters that were left trying to decide between him and Obama. He's just left now with the choice of being all "GUFFAH! I had no idea!" and risk losing those who think they're a good match/she's a good choice, or be all "Yeahhh we knew it.. No sweat."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections