Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,182,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I agree, the only way that Sarah Palin was the best pick for vp is if this was some sort of Bizarro World.

go stand in front of a mirror and say that!
Maybe Michelle Obama should keep her ass home with her kids, and quit dranging them around the country.
Why isn't she home with them where they belong!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 03:12 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,448,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Can a mother be a president or vice president? Should only women past menopause be allowed to run for elected office? Or only childless women? To start to wonder if a woman is capable of running a country and a family is, well icky for lack of a better word. Do we wonder this about men? When edwards was running he had small children and a terminally ill wife -- that was seen as acceptable. Nobody asked 'what if elizabeth dies while he is potus, then who will take care of the children?'...why is that?
I see the concern, I really do. I a woman who made the choice to stay at home with her children and I do think that is the best way to go. At the same time, if a woman is barred from becoming vpotus because she has children at home.....that sets up a very bad precedence for all other women. Can a woman be the president of a fortune 500 company if she has minor children? Can a woman be an astronaut if she has minor children? Can a woman be a police officer, a fire fighter, a doctor, a lawyer, an office worker if she has minor children? Do you see the slippery slope this argument can take? I made my choice, and I hope that people will not start taking my daughters choice of career from them.
Thank you camping! for a sensible post. I can also understand people's concern BUT I think Palin is probably smart enough to figure out what's in the best interest of her and her family. She is a working mother, and there's MILLIONS of working mothers who manage just fine. We can't expect all of them to pass up a great opportunity because life is hard - none of us would ever do anything if we waited for the "perfect" time to make our career move (especially mothers). Why do we expect women to carry the burden of family obligation but not the men?

This is a VPOUSA position... this is not even a once in lifetime opportunity for most people. More than likely, not a single person on this thread (or even on CD) will ever have a chance to decline an offer like this... but we expect Palin to... because she's a mother whose going through a tough period?

Women already sacrifice enough of themselves for the sake of their families - stop asking them to give up their dreams.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:18 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,812,978 times
Actually the job of VP is probably much less strenuous and time consuming than any governorship.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:24 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,798,865 times
It serves her right for being a fundamentalist gay hating Christian. In the bible it states that babies born of mental retardation or of disease are from Satan....so what does she have to say about that? She had better rethink her policy on gay marriage and gay rights.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:32 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,240,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It serves her right for being a fundamentalist gay hating Christian. In the bible it states that babies born of mental retardation or of disease are from Satan....so what does she have to say about that? She had better rethink her policy on gay marriage and gay rights.

Do you mind letting me know what book and verse that is in the Bible? I don't remember ever reading that one, but I could have missed. Would be real interested in reading that.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,798,865 times
I saw the quote on the CD message board. It stated that children born with disease, problems, etc. are from Satan himself ...lol..clearly that isn't true in most cases. I guess according to the bible she gave birth to a demon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Do you mind letting me know what book and verse that is in the Bible? I don't remember ever reading that one, but I could have missed. Would be real interested in reading that.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,716,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Actually the job of VP is probably much less strenuous and time consuming than any governorship.
Yes, tell Cheney that. There have been VP's that have been almost invisible, and there have been VP's that have been extremely active and involved with their administrations. Cheney has certainly had an active role in policy-making. We don't know just how active a role McCain would want Palin to take, nor do we know how dynamic she would be in the VP's office. BUT the VP is one heartbeat away from the Presidency. They do have a task to keep abreast of the pressing issues of the day, to understand and support the President's policies and plans, to assist in any way that is required, and to step into the shoes of the President on a moment's notice and carry on in a way that the President would have wanted. The public will scrutinize Palin and review her experience and past actions with a critical eye, and they will pass judgment. Her character and inner steel will be tested in the upcoming months, the scrutiny is only beginning.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,812,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
. . . . The public will scrutinize Palin and review her experience and past actions with a critical eye, and they will pass judgment. Her character and inner steel will be tested in the upcoming months, the scrutiny is only beginning.
I would expect nothing less.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:26 PM

10,147 posts, read 11,104,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I've never read that in the Bible.....

Old 09-02-2008, 04:26 PM

3,490 posts, read 8,199,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
There you have it - If it was Hillary, most would keep their comments to themselves about a child with Down's Syndrome.

I don't agree with all of Palins Family issues and such, I just hate to see her being scrutinized because of her child.

Actually with an election coming up and the candidates being named, I think it is perfectly fair and proper to bring up any concerns we may have so that they can be discussed.
I don't agree with this woman's politics, so perhaps I am scrutinizing her more than I would someone who I did agree with. Fine, fair point. But I think this is a genuine concern. Perhaps some people think it's no problem, but I do, and I am allowed to have that point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections