Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the Republican Party have an Agenda to address the rising number of Homeless Citizens
Yes. They're aware of the issue and have campaigned on this. 13 20.00%
No. It's not something I've heard them speak about. 52 80.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 PM

62 posts, read 36,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Does the Republican Party have a platform to address the rising number of homeless citizens?
Homeless people don't vote. They'll address them the same way they always have, with the "get" method.

Get out of my way
Get out of my back yard
Get a job
Get lost

One of my old jokes....

"What do you call a Republican who suddenly finds themselves homeless?"

.....a new Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 05:28 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
That's true since they like to go on welfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassHysteria View Post
Homeless people don't vote. They'll address them the same way they always have, with the "get" method.

Get out of my way
Get out of my back yard
Get a job
Get lost

One of my old jokes....

"What do you call a Republican who suddenly finds themselves homeless?"

.....a new Democrat.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:32 PM

62 posts, read 36,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
That's because most Democrats live in the inner cities.

If they lived in the middle of the midwest, and had the space, they would do just like the other broke Republicans do.......

Build a crank lab.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:39 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
lol I'm a Repub, and that was pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassHysteria View Post
That's because most Democrats live in the inner cities.

If they lived in the middle of the midwest, and had the space, they would do just like the other broke Republicans do.......

Build a crank lab.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:15 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Don't you need an address and a soc. number to receive welfare? Hm...

"The House passed a bill placing a hold until April 2009 on new administration rules that would cut the federal share of Medicaid by $13 billion over five years and leave it up to the states to replace the funds or cut health services to the poor. In part, the new rules concern hospital and nursing-home services, graduate medical education, the placing of retarded children in family settings, and transportation for disabled children. President Bush has threatened to veto this bill."
SOURCE

Old 09-02-2008, 06:22 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
your numbers are off. it's closer to 98%. the answer to helping the homeless, is find out why they are homeless, and address them as invividuals, not as "the homeless." the next step is to get the leaches off the system. I don't care if it takes food out of someones mouth. if you aren't doing your part, or at least putting forth an effort, you are cut off. as for the homeless being responsible for their situations, that is a fact. I don't know a lot of sober homeless people, and nobody put a gun to their head until they became addicted to drugs or alcohol. to answer your question, neither party has a platform for this. they bother claim to have a magical cure for "poverty." the lip service express has arrived at the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
Most Republicans I hear making comments (on CD) say homeless people are responsible for their situations and should get themselves out.

Renriq (here on CD) said 99.99% of people getting public assistance are abusing the system. I asked for a source, didnt get one.

It's pretty sad the Republicans are so out of touch with the plight of millions and millions of Americas.

Last edited by jmarquise; 09-02-2008 at 06:43 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 06:31 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,181 times
BAM!!!

this guy never presents any arguments that can be proven with cold hard facts. all of his arguments are subjective BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Thank you for confirming what I said. You bait people, and all you care about is one-upping, rather than finding out the information to help others.

Nice.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:08 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,684,873 times
For some reason people put welfare and social security and medicare together.
Social Security is funded by someone actually doing work and money being taken out of their paychecks.
Welfare is free to anyone who is poor and has never or paid some into a system.
For some reason democrats believe welfare is ok, but damn those old people on social security.
Why do welfare people get paid before the social security people. This is flat out wrong.
People worked for their social security, not many ever worked or earned welfare.
How will the democrats address the homeless? For me I see it as they actually hurt these people by giving them short term handouts and not providing training or jobs to keep them from being homeless.
We need people to be personal responsible for themselves and their children. It is not my job to feed, house and clothe people who do not do anything to better themselves.
No one should be hungry or homeless, but you need to find a way to get them to be responsible for themselves instead of leaning on us all the time.

Welfare is stealing, Social Security is an earned right that has been paid for by those people.

Democrats need to find a way to help these people without handouts. But then again I firmly believe most democrats want them held down.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
(Months ago)You people dont get it, he is the victim of a well executed smear campaign. Before he happily jumped on the national stage backed by ofra winprey they should have dealt with any skeletons in his closet. I dont think they were trying to hide this, they just didnt think about it. I believe he would make a good president but that isnt what Presidential elections are about in this country. Its about who can dig up the most dirt on the other and make it stick. Every couple of weeks the Clinton,Mccain machines and media will parade these quotes of wright until Obamas presidential bid is dead.

Remember the swiftboat vets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Thank you for confirming what I said. You bait people, and all you care about is one-upping, rather than finding out the information to help others.

Nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
BAM!!!

this guy never presents any arguments that can be proven with cold hard facts. all of his arguments are subjective BS

He has a platform to address the needs of the Homeless. I didn't know if the Republicans had one so I figured I ask if anyone else knew. Looking at the good Senator McCain has done for the Hurricane victims got me thinking. I researched the question and figured hey, someone else might wish to discuss this as well considering it's a valid issue. We have hurricanes as well as life situations raising the numbers of homeless folks to crazy levels. Many of us donate. (I certainly have)
We all pay for it, we may as well discuss the situation as well as a solution.

If you feel you've been "one-upped" because someone asks a question, you may wish to join in intelligent debate and/or just say you don't know. That's why we ask questions right? Spinning around the question reflects poorly on the person doing it, and does nothing for the folks discussing or debating the issues and learning from one another.

A large majority of the homeless are soldiers and this is a travesty.

While individuals do what they can, President Lincoln felt - Government was established to do collectively, what individuals could not do as well individually. Makes sense to me.

"A 2007 report titled the Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress (broken link) states that the number of people who were living in shelters or were unsheltered in January 2005 totaled 754,147. Of those, 338,781 were living on the streets, in cars, on in other areas not meant for human habitation.
Additionally, the report found that "nearly 1/4 of all sheltered homeless persons are age 17 or younger...and that 47% of all sheltered homeless people are single adult men."

.....Here's a cold hard fact. Senator Obama is the Presidential Candidate for the Democrats. His campaign is alive and well.

Independents for OBAMA

Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
For some reason people put welfare and social security and medicare together.
Social Security is funded by someone actually doing work and money being taken out of their paychecks.
Welfare is free to anyone who is poor and has never or paid some into a system.
For some reason democrats believe welfare is ok, but damn those old people on social security.
Why do welfare people get paid before the social security people. This is flat out wrong.
People worked for their social security, not many ever worked or earned welfare.
How will the democrats address the homeless? For me I see it as they actually hurt these people by giving them short term handouts and not providing training or jobs to keep them from being homeless.
We need people to be personal responsible for themselves and their children. It is not my job to feed, house and clothe people who do not do anything to better themselves.
No one should be hungry or homeless, but you need to find a way to get them to be responsible for themselves instead of leaning on us all the time.

Welfare is stealing, Social Security is an earned right that has been paid for by those people.

Democrats need to find a way to help these people without handouts. But then again I firmly believe most democrats want them held down.

Both parties need to come up with a way to help the people. The ability to compromise is what made this work.

The strongest Welfare reform to date was passed in 1996, signed into law by a Democrat President, working with a Republican Congress. The Brookings Institution made the following observations.

- The irony of welfare reform is that it firmly implanted the conservative principle of self-sufficiency in federal policy which, in turn, brought the liberal principle of government support for the poor into its most effective form—namely, encouraging work.

- In the decade that has passed since the 1996 reforms, the welfare rolls have plummeted by nearly 60%, the first sustained decline since the program was enacted in 1935. Equally important, the employment of single mothers heading families reached the highest level ever. As a group, mothers heading families with incomes of less than about $21,000 per year increased their earnings every year between 1994 and 2000 while simultaneously receiving less money from welfare payments. In inflation-adjusted dollars, they were about 25% better off in 2000 than in 1994, despite the fall in their welfare income.

- Over the same period, the child-poverty level enjoyed its most sustained decline since the early 1970s; and both black-child poverty and poverty among female-headed families reached their lowest level ever. Even after four years of increases following the recession of 2001, the child poverty level is still 20% lower than it was before the decline began.

- The 1996 law, in perhaps the most direct legislative clash of liberal and conservative welfare principles since the New Deal, was a victory for conservative principles. Poor mothers scored a victory for themselves and their children, showing that given adequate motivation and support from work-based government programs, they can join the American mainstream, set an example for their children and communities, and pull themselves and their children out of poverty.

- But there's a rub for conservatives: Now and for the foreseeable future, the nation will have millions of poorly educated and unmarried young mothers who are capable of producing labor value of around $8 per hour when they first enter the labor market. They face a Hobson's choice of living in poverty on welfare or living in poverty while working—unless government subsidizes their income.

- These work-based subsidies -- the Earned Income Tax Credit, Medicaid, child care, and so forth—were already in place in 1996 and have been improved since. In effect, welfare reform made government benefits contingent on work, poor mothers responded appropriately, and the combination of earnings and government benefits brought them and their children out of poverty.

Folks are now in trouble, which candidate has a plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections