Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:47 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times

Advertisements

I didn't see much of it last night, but I recall some commentator saying, "This is the smallest venue I've ever seen for a national politcal convention."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:59 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Fred Thompson came out and riled up the rednecks and then Lieberman came out and put evenybody to sleep!
Has anyone else questioned the pejorative usage of this word? It is a clearly derogatory put down of a group of people, in this case, the terminology refers to white people, who live in rural, impoverished areas, chief amongst these, Appalachia, the Ozark Mountain range in Northern Arkansas and southern Missouri, as well as the rural southern states, and possibly the Great Plains region as well.

The juxtaposition of this term would be the "N" word. And, if that word were used here, the account holder would rightfully have their user name/IP address banned from here. What's fair is fair. The nickname 'redneck' should be held as equally offensive, and those using it in a disparging manner should be banned from City-Data, IMO.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
What a contrast the American people are seeeing between the two parties. I watched the convention last night, it was up beat & optimistic, vs the pessimistic,angry, naysayers the democrats were! Fred Thompson hit it out of the park! Tonight Palin is going to light the place up! By the way did you all notice the sleazy talking heads after it was over, andrea mitchell, oberman ,mathews, campbell brown, evidently they have given up, even trying to hide their disdain for the GOP!
The Democrats believe in victimization blathering. Everybody is suffering. Everybody is hurting. Everybody is picking on me. Everybody is helpless. The glass is always half empty. Only big government can nurse you. We'll throw money at this and that. The US stinks, has no respect, waaah, waaah, waaah. When they say something nice about their country it's always followed by a "but." Their toady media types, all personally successful, have the same crybaby mentality. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" Chicken Littles wusses, every one of them.

It's so silly to me. Here are the Obamas, a true success story of their own determination, telling others the government needs to take care of people. Hillary Clinton didn't crack the glass ceiling because of some government program and Bill Clinton didn't become successful because someone was throwing money at him.

And Campbell Brown, you silly goose, Nancy Pelosi became Speaker of The House even though she had 5 children.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Has anyone else questioned the pejorative usage of this word? It is a clearly derogatory put down of a group of people, in this case, the terminology refers to white people, who live in rural, impoverished areas, chief amongst these, Appalachia, the Ozark Mountain range in Northern Arkansas and southern Missouri, as well as the rural southern states, and possibly the Great Plains region as well.

The juxtaposition of this term would be the "N" word. And, if that word were used here, the account holder would rightfully have their user name/IP address banned from here. What's fair is fair. The nickname 'redneck' should be held as equally offensive, and those using it in a disparging manner should be banned from City-Data, IMO.
LOL.... if redneck is now a bad word.. that is seriously going to tarnish the country music industry...

Old 09-03-2008, 08:04 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

Yeesh. Keep fighting THAT fight if you want, but it's a tough sell. I don't care who you are, "Redneck" doesn't carry hundreds of years of weight like the "n-word" does....

Besides, I thought Repubs hated PC garbage and think we should all man up and stop whining.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:08 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Yeesh. Keep fighting THAT fight if you want, but it's a tough sell. I don't care who you are, "Redneck" doesn't carry hundreds of years of weight like the "n-word" does....
Besides, I thought Repubs hated PC garbage and think we should all man up and stop whining.
Always must be the winner in the victim brigade. Libs-the party of the perpetual victim.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
better get to the polls come november.. to make sure you don't become a victim to the dems

Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,087 times
Since when did presentations from old white man turn energetic and exciting?.......let me guess, you must be an old white man too.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

Just looking for some consistency. By the way, I am not GOP. Party affiliations are secondary to me. I'd define myself as an independent conservative.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
What a contrast the American people are seeeing between the two parties. I watched the convention last night, it was up beat & optimistic, vs the pessimistic,angry, naysayers the democrats were! Fred Thompson hit it out of the park! Tonight Palin is going to light the place up! By the way did you all notice the sleazy talking heads after it was over, andrea mitchell, oberman ,mathews, campbell brown, evidently they have given up, even trying to hide their disdain for the GOP!
The disdain for the GOP is real. These are the people who gave us the worst man to reside in the oval office in history. These people can't be believed. They lied about Bush, lied to go to war, perpetuated war, mismanaged the budget and the economy, neglected the infrastructure, caused millions of workers here to be displaced for cheap foreign labor so businesses could maximize profits, didn't tax but caused everything else to go up in price, neglected the educational system, fostered division and divisive politics, and damaged international relations. They're liars and ineffective and no amount of false optimism can change this reality.

Obama/Biden, that's the way to go here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections