Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:30 PM

8,608 posts, read 10,137,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
I'm a woman. The Palin choice is appalling. Horrific. Pandering. Sleazy. And just plain inept and irrational.
Care to share how or why? These bold statements without clarification are starting to sound very much like the Obama/Biden ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:42 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
The wife John McCain callously left behind | Mail Online
First Wife Out of Sight. How shallow can one man be?
McCain likes to illustrate his moral fiber by referring to his five years as a prisoner-of-war in Vietnam And to demonstrate his commitment to family values, the 71 year old former US Navy pilot pays warm tribute to his beautiful blonde wife, Cindy, with whom he has four children. But there is another Mrs. McCain who casts a ghostly shadow over the Senator's presidential campaign. She is seldom seen and rarely written about, despite being mother to McCain's eldest children.
She was the woman McCain dreamed of during his long incarceration and torture in Vietnam's Hanoi Hilton prison and the woman who faithfully stayed at home looking after the children and waiting anxiously for news. But, when McCain returned to America in 1973 to a fanfare of publicity and a handshake from Richard Nixon, he discovered his wife had been disfigured in a terrible car crash three years earlier. Her car had skidded on icy roads into a telegraph pole on Christmas Eve, 1969.
Her pelvis and one arm were shattered by the impact and she suffered massive internal injuries.
When Carol was discharged from the hospital after six months of life-saving surgery, the prognosis was bleak. In order to save her legs. surgeons had been forced to cut away huge sections of shattered bone, taking with it her tall willowy figure. She was confined to a wheelchair and was forced to use a chatheter. Today, she stands at just 5'4" and still walks awkwardly with a pronounced limp. Her body is held together by screws and metal plates and at 70, her face is worn by wrinkles that speak of decades of silent suffering. For nearly 30 years, Carol has maintained a dignified silence about the accident, McCain, and their divorce. But last week at the bungalow where she now lives in Virginia beach, she told The Mail on Sunday how McCain divorced her in 1980 and married Cindy, 18 years his junior and the heir to an Arizona brewing fortune just one month later.
"My marriage ended because John McCain didn't want to be 40. He wanted to be 25. You know that happens... it just does"
In 1979, while still married to Carol, he met Cindy at a cocktail party in Hawaii. Over the next six months, he pursued her, flying around the country to see her. Then he began to push to end his marriage. Some of McCain's acquaintances are less forgiving, however. They portray the politician as a self-centered womanizer who effectively abandoned his crippled wife to play the field. They accuse him of finally settling on Cindy, a former rodeo queen, for financial reasons.
Ted Sampley, who fought with the US Special Forces in Vietnam and is now a leading campaigner for veterans rights, said, "I have been following John McCain's career for nearly 20 years . I know him personally. There is something wrong with this guy and let me tell you what is deceit. When he came home and saw that Carol was not the beauty he left behind, he started running around on her almost right away. Everybody around him knew it. Eventually he met Cindy and she was young and beautiful and very wealthy. At that point, McCain just dumped Carol for something he thought was better. McCain is the classic opportunist. He is always reaching for attention and glory. After he came home, Carol was walking with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona. And the rest is history"
Ross Perot, a billionaire Texas businessman, and a former presidential candidate, who paid her medical bills all those years ago, now believes that both Carol McCain and the American people have been taken in by a man who is unusually slick and cruel-even by the standards of modern politics.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:44 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,881 times
I'm a woman and I was mildy offended... as has been said before, it felt a bit pandering. But I try to vote more on issues and a candidate's views, plans, etc. - not on my own personal feelings.

Recently, McCain seems to be trying to stay in the good graces of the conservatives instead of sticking with his moderate tendencies. Of course, on the other hand is Changey McChangerson who talks a lot, but doesn't seem to say anything. Ugh, I'm beginning to hate every 4th November.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:20 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
I think it's more laughable about how Palin is the VP nominee. It's only a matter of time before Tina Fey does an impersonation of Palin as a PTA mom going up against Al Queda, Putin and North Korea.

If McCain really wanted to cater his campaign towards women, why not go with a moderate GOP woman such as Olympia Snowe, Kay Bailey Hutchinson or even Elizabeth Dole?
IMO he needed:
1) a female
2) someone to the right of himself to shore up that wing of the party

Old 09-03-2008, 03:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
I'm a woman. The Palin choice is appalling. Horrific. Pandering. Sleazy. And just plain inept and irrational.
HA! Lemme guess... youre also a Clinton supporter, right? Do I need to remind you of the dress? The cigar? The "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" BS LIE?!?!?!? If thats not the supreme definition of sleazy, I dont know what is.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:32 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I don't think it's an insult at all.

Palin doesn't have a lot of experience, but she's a real Mom dealing with real issues, maybe moreso than we see in other candidates.
Right. I agree with this. She seems so un-politician to me.

She lacks experience- like Obama,

She is a minority- like Obama,

She has a few years left in her, unlike McCain.

Unlike most Democratic women, she's a looker. Not that this has anything to do with the Presidential Election, but why is this?

I'd say she balances things out.

The only thing that I'd see to be an insult to women would be Hillary Clinton.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:59 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
The wife John McCain callously left behind | Mail Online
First Wife Out of Sight. How shallow can one man be?
McCain likes to illustrate his moral fiber by referring to his five years as a prisoner-of-war in Vietnam And to demonstrate his commitment to family values, the 71 year old former US Navy pilot pays warm tribute to his beautiful blonde wife, Cindy, with whom he has four children. But there is another Mrs. McCain who casts a ghostly shadow over the Senator's presidential campaign. She is seldom seen and rarely written about, despite being mother to McCain's eldest children.
She was the woman McCain dreamed of during his long incarceration and torture in Vietnam's Hanoi Hilton prison and the woman who faithfully stayed at home looking after the children and waiting anxiously for news. But, when McCain returned to America in 1973 to a fanfare of publicity and a handshake from Richard Nixon, he discovered his wife had been disfigured in a terrible car crash three years earlier. Her car had skidded on icy roads into a telegraph pole on Christmas Eve, 1969.
Her pelvis and one arm were shattered by the impact and she suffered massive internal injuries.
When Carol was discharged from the hospital after six months of life-saving surgery, the prognosis was bleak. In order to save her legs. surgeons had been forced to cut away huge sections of shattered bone, taking with it her tall willowy figure. She was confined to a wheelchair and was forced to use a chatheter. Today, she stands at just 5'4" and still walks awkwardly with a pronounced limp. Her body is held together by screws and metal plates and at 70, her face is worn by wrinkles that speak of decades of silent suffering. For nearly 30 years, Carol has maintained a dignified silence about the accident, McCain, and their divorce. But last week at the bungalow where she now lives in Virginia beach, she told The Mail on Sunday how McCain divorced her in 1980 and married Cindy, 18 years his junior and the heir to an Arizona brewing fortune just one month later.
"My marriage ended because John McCain didn't want to be 40. He wanted to be 25. You know that happens... it just does"
In 1979, while still married to Carol, he met Cindy at a cocktail party in Hawaii. Over the next six months, he pursued her, flying around the country to see her. Then he began to push to end his marriage. Some of McCain's acquaintances are less forgiving, however. They portray the politician as a self-centered womanizer who effectively abandoned his crippled wife to play the field. They accuse him of finally settling on Cindy, a former rodeo queen, for financial reasons.
Ted Sampley, who fought with the US Special Forces in Vietnam and is now a leading campaigner for veterans rights, said, "I have been following John McCain's career for nearly 20 years . I know him personally. There is something wrong with this guy and let me tell you what is deceit. When he came home and saw that Carol was not the beauty he left behind, he started running around on her almost right away. Everybody around him knew it. Eventually he met Cindy and she was young and beautiful and very wealthy. At that point, McCain just dumped Carol for something he thought was better. McCain is the classic opportunist. He is always reaching for attention and glory. After he came home, Carol was walking with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona. And the rest is history"
Ross Perot, a billionaire Texas businessman, and a former presidential candidate, who paid her medical bills all those years ago, now believes that both Carol McCain and the American people have been taken in by a man who is unusually slick and cruel-even by the standards of modern politics.
Try googling Carol McCain...I know you would like to assert that John McCain has tried to sweep his broken marraige under the carpet, but he hasn't. He took responsibility for his mistakes made re: his first marraige and she has certainly come to terms with it. BTW, Carol is quite a lady IMO...a real class act.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiesdevils View Post
I may be in the minority but I find McCain's choice of Sarah Palin an insult. I was a Clinton supporter and can't vote for Obama. Before Palin's nomination, I would have voted for McCain because I think he is the lesser of two evils.
Now, I am insulted that he would pick a women because I think it is a gimmick to pick up Hillary's female votes. Palin is a nobody with no experience on the Federal level.
If I wanted to elect someone with no experience, I could vote for Obama.

Did I mention I am a woman in my mid 50's?
I am a woman and I am not in the least insulted. I think it is wonderful that in America Hillary and Sarah can run for what have been men only roles!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:47 PM

399 posts, read 554,244 times
Well with a name like steve-o you shouldn't even be talking politics.

besides stop living in the past. What Clinton did was sleazy, but then the next president screwed our economy to the ground which is way worse.

Palin has less experience then Obama. -- and if that's not the supreme definition of un-experience I don't know what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
HA! Lemme guess... youre also a Clinton supporter, right? Do I need to remind you of the dress? The cigar? The "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" BS LIE?!?!?!? If thats not the supreme definition of sleazy, I dont know what is.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:46 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Try googling Carol McCain...I know you would like to assert that John McCain has tried to sweep his broken marraige under the carpet, but he hasn't. He took responsibility for his mistakes made re: his first marraige and she has certainly come to terms with it. BTW, Carol is quite a lady IMO...a real class act.

I agree with you. Carol is a real class act, unlike her ex-husband. It's easy to say, "I'm sorry". It's a whole lot harder to stick to that vow and not commit adultry. And now the republicans are eating up his rubbish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections