Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:33 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Why do the Dems lose close elections? Because their victories come from a small number of states.
You make a good point. Actually, I think this is one of the reasons the dems are going to do very well this time around. The very same states that the dems were concentrated in (NY, California, etc.) were the states that had insane spikes in the price of real estate.

So companies began moving to cheaper states, and people began moving all over the country. The moved to the purplier states, and because of that they're turning those states blue. OK, OK I'm not sure if purplier is a word but I'll bet you caught my drift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,152 times
If all the Obama signs and bumperstickers I'm see all over Northern Virginia are any indication, Obama wins VA in a landslide.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:37 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
If all the Obama signs and bumperstickers I'm see all over Northern Virginia are any indication, Obama wins VA in a landslide.

That is not a good gauge what about all the cars without bumper sticker's .

Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM

....and, you have a lot of retirees turning red states purple, and purple states blue. That's my story. Retirees can't afford to stay in the expensive (blue) states... so they find appealing little towns in the red states. And thus the purple-ization begins.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
2 weeks ago I would have said Mccain will be next Pres but not now .

Mccain's VP has helped Obama and will continue to help him .

The daughter thing should be hand's off it won't help at all but her ultra right wing views will help the Dem party .

She is ultra right wing.
I agree. She is too FAR to the right to attract independents and reagan democrats.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
That is not a good gauge what about all the cars without bumper sticker's .
LOL, good point. I do not have a bumper sticker on my car, for example. And I think you guys know how I'm voting.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, good point. I do not have a bumper sticker on my car, for example. And I think you guys know how I'm voting.
------------

Lol I was going to put one on my car . Reading -
" If you are happy with the most corrupt and inept sewage waste on the planet . Re-elect current incumbents"

Ofcourse this would be in Spanish as I am in S.Florida . Election was recently held and they were re-elected thus no need for the sticker lol

Old 09-03-2008, 02:45 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,995 times
Virginia will indeed be a very interesting state. It's truly interesting to hear all the reasons why many think it will go blue, and all the conversing reasons, though not really displayed on this site, why it will remain red.

It's true that NOVA is becoming more and more blue. However, it's also true that the entire western and southern, more rural parts of the state are expected to go solidly more red than in years past, as can be said with West Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky. This includes a number of more rural areas that are usually solidly Democratic that went to Clinton in overwhelming numbers in the primary, quite similar to West Virginia's electorate. You can really bet that Palen will further strengthen McCain's grip on that part of the state. Rather than NOVA, many people think it will actually come down to the Southeast corner and Hampton Roads, which has a high percentage of an African-American population and young voters, but also a high military population, is home to many Pat Robertson supporters who also love Palen, and has traditionally been about a 55-60% Republican majority in the past. It will be quite interesting, but to be honest, there are paths to the White House for Obama and McCain that don't include Virginia.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:48 PM

You know what? I think we need to create a word.

What should we call the act of turning a red state purple?

Purplizing?
Purple-ization?
Purpling?

And what about the act of turning a red state blue?????

Old 09-03-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
....and, you have a lot of retirees turning red states purple, and purple states blue. That's my story. Retirees can't afford to stay in the expensive (blue) states... so they find appealing little towns in the red states. And thus the purple-ization begins.

That is true that is exactly what is going on .

I prefer swing states ESP at local level.
Best to have politician's earn their position instead of getting it due to party and ethnicity which is case in S.Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections