U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:47 PM

15,400 posts, read 18,113,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
I think all this talk about Virginia, you all are overlooking the most obvious "red" state that Obama will pick up in November: Colorado.

If he wins CO, McCain is finished. Where would he pick up 270 electoral votes?
The problem I see with Colorado is voter apathy. Lots of people who talk about voting, but never get off the couch to actually do it. Hopefully the convention will be a pleasant memory for people and will get them more interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 04:50 PM

5,454 posts, read 3,124,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Here is a reason why the odds are in Obama's favor to win in November. If Obama wins all the states John Kerry won in 2004 and pick up Virgina and New Mexico, Obama will win the election by ONE ELECTORIAL VOTE. LOL thats almost a tie and I think if it were a tie, congress would then decide. In that case Obama would be selected as the president since the democrats control congress. But anyway all Obama has to do is pick up Virginia and New Mexico. Obama already leads in New Mexico by 10 points. Virginia is a toss up for the first time in decades, so Obama can taste victory. So you see thats why Obama has been focusing real hard on Virginia. The commonwealth of Virgina could very be the key to Obama's victory. There are several other ways Obama can win the election with or without Ohio so this election wont be like 2000 or 2004 where all eyes will be on Florida or Ohio. Obama appears to be slightly changing the electorial map in his favor as he said he would be able to do early on in the primaries. The country doesnt appear to be quite as divided as it was in 2000 and 2004. We can talk about national poll numbers til the cows come home but in the end its all about the electorial college vote and things look good for Obama.

you people and your stupid maps
Come Nov Obama and his media darlings
are toast!

Old 09-03-2008, 04:51 PM

5,454 posts, read 3,124,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorback_06 View Post
Oh trust me, the grassroots of his campaign is unbelievable. The fundraising, the voter registration drives, and most of all, the dedication and enthusiasm of his supporters by far trumps McCain. My favorite part of his speech last week was when he said, "It's not about me, it's about you." So powerful.

Oh that was such a joke
it has ALWAYS been about him

Old 09-03-2008, 04:55 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,408,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
are toast!
-----------

Obama has same chance at winning as Mccain. He is starting to pull ahead now in polls.

I picked you up a "GA loves Obama sweat shirt ".

front reads "GA loves Obama"

back reads " But I love him more"

Old 09-03-2008, 04:56 PM

62 posts, read 8,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
And what about the act of turning a red state blue?????

An awakening

Old 09-03-2008, 04:57 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,408,689 times
Quote:
The problem I see with Colorado is voter apathy. Lots of people who talk about voting, but never get off the couch to actually do it. Hopefully the convention will be a pleasant memory for people and will get them more interested.
--------------

Your right but this election I don't think you will have that . Normally you do .

Old 09-03-2008, 04:59 PM

15,400 posts, read 18,113,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
are toast!
More likely, we'll be raising a toast!

But that's ok, there's happy news for you. Georgia will still be red, no matter how many other states turn blue.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:07 PM

62 posts, read 8,028 times
Quote:
More likely, we'll be raising a toast!

But that's ok, there's happy news for you. Georgia will still be red, no matter how many other states turn blue.
Voting blue is better than voting red and waiting for McCain to turn blue.

President Palin would be a disaster.

Then again, we also have to get used to the idea of President Biden, which considering the demographics of the right wing is a possibility too.

YouTube - Eddie Murphy - First Black President

No, I'm not wishing for that to happen.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:24 PM

3,492 posts, read 5,937,100 times
Yea the new polls show that the electoral map favors the democrats. based on polls, Obama now leads in Iowa by double digits. Iowa was won by republicans in 2004. Thats one republican state going to the democrats this year. Obama also has a pretty good lead in "purple states" such as Minnesota and Michigan. Obama leads in another state won by republicans in 2004 and thats New Mexico. Obama has a two point lead in Ohio and the poll analysist for CNN said that if Obama holds the states he currently leads in, excluding Ohio and pick up Virginia, Obama will win the presidency

Old 09-03-2008, 06:34 PM

2,328 posts, read 3,959,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
I think all this talk about Virginia, you all are overlooking the most obvious "red" state that Obama will pick up in November: Colorado.

If he wins CO, McCain is finished. Where would he pick up 270 electoral votes?
Quote:
Following the reasoning that winning Colorado would be enough, if an interesting analysis reported in USA Today is right, it means the election could be decided in Arapahoe County, Colorado (immediately south of Denver, areas including parts of Littleton, Englewood, parts of Aurora, etc). If it's of any predictive value, there was no apathy in Arapahoe County for the democratic presidential primary caucuses; turnout was huge (and overwhelmingly for Obama over Hillary).

Suburbs: New shortcut to White House? - USATODAY.com

USA TODAY: Could Arapahoe County hold the keys to the White House? | Face the State

Quote:
As USA Today's Susan Page writes, "The presidential contest between John McCain and Barack Obama this fall is likely to be settled in places such as Clackamas, Arapahoe and Geauga. Suburban counties including these — outside Portland, Denver and Cleveland, respectively — have become the hardest fought and most closely won battlegrounds of national elections."

Last edited by suzco; 09-03-2008 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections