Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:15 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times

Advertisements

Oh wait....here comes another.... *yawn*

Oh my. I guess it is time for a nap. You liberals are running around in circles so much, it's actually making me tired just watching you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:15 PM

62 posts, read 36,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Well, I guess you can color me a Happy Bushie Moron, LOL! Let's see--hmm. I didn't take out a mortgage I knew I couldn't afford...and I support the tax cuts that Bush has implemented since 9/11!

Personal responsibility. Crazy concept, isn't it?
Do you mean the tax cuts for the wealthy?

How much do you make a year?

You seriously don't believe Bush cut YOUR taxes, do you?

Old 09-03-2008, 02:16 PM

372 posts, read 849,074 times
No Child Left Behind was co-written by Ted Kennedy and George Miller... both democrats. Since it's inception, funding for schools has outpaced "inflation" by 5%, yet test scores have shown it's been ineffective. It's a prime example of why the federal government is not capable of running programs successfully (universal healthcare, social security, education, etc.)

Personally I wish Ron Paul would have gotten more support.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
It's all a distraction from the big issues like:
I'll play, though I am not a republican.
The economy: It's tanking thanks to Bush. People are worst off today than 8 years ago. It's a fact.
True, the cost of living is up and whether it be due to the price of gas or not, food and other essentials are on the rise. Frankly, I don't think either party has much of a clue on this one though..it would mean they would need to live within a budget something that obama and mccain are not interested in doing.
Health care: There's no excuse that 45 million Americans are without healthcare. What are we, some 3rd world country?
Well, actually there is. Healthcare is not a right guarnteed in the constitution. To give cradle to grave healthcare to everyone would either bankrupt the country (more then we are now, I mean) or give shoddy service to everybody but those that can pay more. Like politicians. Clearly healthcare reform is desperately needed, but I don't see how we can have medical free for all like some would hope for.
Education: Thanks to NCLB, schools are having to shell out money that should be going to the kids. It's an unfunded mandate and needs to be corrected.
Completely and wholeheartedly agreed! NCLB is a crock. I would go a little further by proposing vouchers as well.
The Right to Choose: The Republicans are bringing it back into the spotlight to shore up the Christian vote. They could care less about babies after they are born, they only care about them when they aren't born.... hypocrits...
Abortion isn't going anywhere. Still, I would like to see both parties stop giving abortion its sacred cow status, and actually work for a livable middle ground...I am talking about abortion reform. Nearly everybody agrees late term abortions are horrible and nearly everybody agrees that the morning after pill takes away a much harder (ethically and morally) decision later. Lets get real about this!
Forclosures: 7,000 homes are going into forclosure every day thanks to these sub-prime loans.
Why should I bail out some idiot who couldn't figure out that if they make $30 grand a year, they probably are not going to be able to make that $200 grand house payment when the arm runs out. The market will correct itself, it is hardly the nations problem that some were greedy and are now trying to weasel out of their personal responsibility. To put it another way -- the US is already broke, we can't afford to bail out these people too.
Unemployment: It's going up, and no one can convince me otherwise. A job at Wal-Mart doesn't substitute a job lost at an auto plant.
I think the corporations that out source overseas should have a tariff imposed on their products coming back into the US. I also believe that those companies should have a huge tax incentive not to leave the country i.e. you leave you pay dearly.
The War: How can I forget the war, the illegal war that has put us trillions into debt.
The war needs to be stopped, though I don't pretend to know if we can cleanly leave asap or if we have to stay until stability happens. I do know that it was a huge mistake, and we should have kept our focus on afganistan alone.
If you care about America and middle class values, the choice is clear, Obama-Biden is the right ticket. If you are part of the rich minority or the radical Christian Conservative group, then go ahead and vote for McCain.
I am not entirely sure the obama stands for middle class values or lifestyle. I do worry that between obama and pelosi, there will be a rush to pass laws that will not benefit the majority of this country and that will erode rights to some (gun laws for example) while giving rights to others to whom it is not owed (amnesty).
As much as I dislike religion and government mixing, I do believe that to some, unchecked liberalism is just as much a religion with the same hypocrisy that infects the right.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
No Child Left Behind was co-written by Ted Kennedy and George Miller... both democrats. Since it's inception, funding for schools has outpaced "inflation" by 5%, yet test scores have shown it's been ineffective. It's a prime example of why the federal government is not capable of running programs successfully (universal healthcare, social security, education, etc.)

Personally I wish Ron Paul would have gotten more support.
Absolutely! I hate having to go to the dmv, I can't imagine what it would be like if the same people were in charge of my healthcare.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:24 PM

472 posts, read 872,067 times
Quote:
Well, I guess you can color me a Happy Bushie Moron, LOL! Let's see--hmm. I didn't take out a mortgage I knew I couldn't afford...and I support the tax cuts that Bush has implemented since 9/11!

So in your world everything is peachy. That's great for you...

According to Gallup currently, 71% of Americans hold negative views about the economy, while 16% hold mixed views, and only 11% hold positive views. So the country is not in great economic shape... as proclaimed by the American people.

You can't explain away discontent.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:27 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:

Personal responsibility has NOTHING to do with Bush's TRILLION dollar trade deficit. It has nothing to do with the weak dollar that produced, which caused the price of oil to sky rocket. It has nothing to do with Bush's illegal war in Iraq, costing us 10 BILLION a month to operate. It has nothing to do with his no bid, slap on the back, corporate contracts to all his pals in Iraq. It has nothing to do with corporations who took Bush's tax cuts, said thanks but no thanks, and shipped our manufacturing overseas (see trade deficit above.) It has nothing to do with Bush's astronomical Federal deficit either. Nor does it have a thing to do with his debt. It has nothing to do with his comprehensive energy policy, which after seven years (and right before an election) yielded "Drill more".

Old 09-03-2008, 02:28 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times
Quote:
*yawn* No one wants to really respond because this is yet another TLT--Tired Liberal Topic.
The economy, healthcare and the war are tired topics. What do you want to discuss? How about the Freedom of choice Act?

Old 09-03-2008, 02:30 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times
Quote:

What planet are you from? You consider it responsible to support tax cuts when we are running huge deficits and spending billions of dollars we shouldn't be in Iraq? Talk about taking out a mortgage this country can't afford! This is exactly why the value of the dollar has eroded so much, and why oil is so expensive.

Give me a break!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:33 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
What planet are you from? You consider it responsible to support tax cuts when we are running huge deficits and spending billions of dollars we shouldn't be in Iraq? Talk about taking out a mortgage this country can't afford! This is exactly why the value of the dollar has eroded so much, and why oil is so expensive.

Give me a break!
That's what they don't understand. They want to wage two "wars" simultaneously, while giving tax breaks to corporations who eventually relocate outside America, so they can pay zero taxes. Instead we borrow it from China.

I'd like to implement a tax system which raises taxes on those in favor of the war (let them pay for it) while drafting young republicans to go fight. Lets see how much longer Iraq lasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections