Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:44 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
I may of course be misinterpreting, but what I think the OP was originally saying was: "When healthcare disappears" (in other words, when your employer can't or won't offer it, and you can't afford it, and there is no affordable other option and so therefore you become uninsured) "and it's 15K/month for you to pay for medical care" (meaning that if you or someone in your family ends up with cancer or other serious illness that requires hospitalization, longterm care, expensive treatments or drugs, any or all of the above" .....

Having been uninsured for the past 5 years myself, I know firsthand that even spending 3 hours in the emergency room with chest pains, and when all the care provided was a blood test, an ECG, a chest x-ray and two aspirin resulted in a bill for THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS from the hospital .... well, 15K a month for an ongoing medical problem's care is not a stretch at all. Actually I'd say that a hospital stay will easily cost more than 15K for ONE WEEK, at least where we live anyway.
I just went into a hosptial for an emergency in July. I was in for 7 days. The total hospital bill was $154,000. Granted, I had three surgeries during that time. Thank God I had insurance, but even with my insurance, I owe several thousand dollars--I have not received all of the bills yet, so I can't state exactly what I owe, and the insurance company and hospital are bickering over some charges. So, when health insurance disappears, I can easily see someone spending over $15,000/month. Some people cannot get insurance because of pre-existing conditions. Some cannot afford it. What is to become of those people? Should we not provide minimal health care at a reasonable cost? It is a sticky situation. I am fortunate to have insurance and be mostly covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 10:46 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I just went into a hosptial for an emergency in July. I was in for 7 days. The total hospital bill was $154,000. Granted, I had three surgeries during that time. Thank God I had insurance, but even with my insurance, I owe several thousand dollars--I have not received all of the bills yet, so I can't state exactly what I owe, and the insurance company and hospital are bickering over some charges. So, when health insurance disappears, I can easily see someone spending over $15,000/month. Some people cannot get insurance because of pre-existing conditions. Some cannot afford it. What is to become of those people? Should we not provide minimal health care at a reasonable cost? It is a sticky situation. I am fortunate to have insurance and be mostly covered.
Who said health insurance is disappearing?

Can I start a post saying that our military is going to disappear, so we can all make fearful statements about national defense? Or would people question the sanity of the post?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Good luck to you when a parent over age 70 needs more than 4 days in critical care, and your health insurace co decides your parent isnt cost -effective....

Thats the HMO terminology, I already lived through it, good for you...
Lets see... I have multiple sclerosis, my treatment costs 2100.00 per month, I have the potential to be hospitalized at a moments notice because of an attack.... My insurance is VERY affordable, and I have not been denied care ever for my condition.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Who said health insurance is disappearing?

Can I start a post saying that our military is going to disappear, so we can all make fearful statements about national defense? Or would people question the sanity of the post?
The original poster said IF it disappears. I should have said the same in my response.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
No sweetie pie, we paid mega taxes........Dream on. I cannot wait until someone in your family gets sick.
what a very sick and disgusting thing to say. I would never wish anyone sick even of my not so fond fellow Americans.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:52 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,308 times
Quote:
Lets see... I have multiple sclerosis, my treatment costs 2100.00 per month, I have the potential to be hospitalized at a moments notice because of an attack.... My insurance is VERY affordable, and I have not been denied care ever for my condition.
Are you self insured or do you utilize your employers insurance?

Old 09-03-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
Are you self insured or do you utilize your employers insurance?
a bit of both. We are covered under my wifes insurance, with some supplemental of my own.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
a bit of both. We are covered under my wifes insurance, with some supplemental of my own.
Thanks, I was curious because we are self employed with DH having a preexisting heart condition. I could not find health insurance for him for less than $2500 a month and it costs about $740 a month for myself and three children.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:17 PM

430 posts, read 1,358,702 times
Has anyone priced coverage?

For a family of three, with a 5K deductible, my total costs are $500 a month. This includes pregnancy and birth costs.

My guess is monterey is another PAID OBAMA PUSH TROLLER. His campaign has over a 1000 of them infecting boards all over the place.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Has anyone priced coverage?

For a family of three, with a 5K deductible, my total costs are $500 a month. This includes pregnancy and birth costs.
Are you self employed? If you work for a company, how much do they pay so that you can get such coverage at that price?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections