Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Do you care to back up your assertions with facts? You know, the way adults debate?
Actually the OP made an assertion, so if you dispute this then I believe the general debate rules would suggest that you provide evidence to the contrary. Or at least that is how most of the adults I know tend to debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,333 times
Quote:
I grew up on the southside. Anything else?
Why aren't you there now?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:48 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,119 times
Quote:
I grew up on the southside. Anything else?
I also grew up on the southside and the role of community organizing is not to turn the ghetto into beverly hills overnight. OP have you ever been to the southside of Chicago, or Chicago at all? Having seen what was the community in the 80's and what it is no in terms of services, cleanliness, and believe it or not general safety I dont think you really have a clue about what you are talking about.

Quit badmouthing places that you haven't been too.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Yet again...

The topic is...

Did anyone notice how the "community organizer" and if I read correctly this topic is about Obama's failure to organize his community. Lets try to stick to this shall we.
Yet the OP provides no actual evidence of this but makes a false claim. Isn't there a name for that type of arguement?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:55 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Default Sarah Palin hit a grand slam on the first pitch of the night! Wham! :cool:

I heard those dorks try to assess how far Sarah Palin hit that Grand Slam out of the ballpark and one of them said, "Well, the dems are gonna jump on her about that 'Community Organizer' comment because those community organizers are very important. Those very community organizers are going to be very instrumental in getting aid and help to those of us in this mortgage meltdown..." or something to that effect.

Then Sarah is gonna whip her stones out and say, "Yeah, Obama and Biden will do a wonderful job as community organizers." Yeah, I ought to write her next speech.

I honestly had no clue about this lady or how she was gonna do. I'd never even heard her speak before. She just straight-up bitchslapped Obama and Biden into submission. On every front, she just took the Democrats to the woodshed. And she didn't even break a fingernail.

"What's the difference between a Pit Bull and Soccer Mom? Lipstick." Oh yeah, well bite me baby.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:05 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
the speech was in general very skosh on facts,
i work with a Navy officer whose job it is to promote diversity in the Navy officer corps and he works with the school district of Chicago alot. He worked with Barack Obama, actually lives near him, and although he is a Republican, he has discussed with us how Barack Obama is in the neighborhoods when he is home, even today, checking on programs he worked on, making sure kids are getting the services they need, etc. Just because he did not have the vaunted title of Mayor, eegads, does not mean he did not have a great impact on south side chicago.
Yeah just like Rev Wright. What part of Southside community organizer makes you an EXECUTIVE?

Obama's getting what he deserved for leaning on that part of his resume so constantly. PANDERING it's called. For votes. Sorry you don't see it.

Poor Barry. Ever the indignant. HIS SOUTHSIDE Chicago is much more important than her home town.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:12 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,195 times
I can't help but think of how world leaders around the globe are laughing tonight.

Oh, how the negative forces that be would love to get McCain out of the way with such a heavyweight as backup

Old 09-03-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yeah just like Rev Wright. What part of Southside community organizer makes you an EXECUTIVE?
Who said that it did?

Quote:
Obama's getting what he deserved for leaning on that part of his resume so constantly. PANDERING it's called. For votes. Sorry you don't see it.

Poor Barry. Ever the indignant. HIS SOUTHSIDE Chicago is much more important than her home town.
This convention has pretty much been pandering to the far right. for votes. sorry you dont see it.

What executive experience is there at the top of the ticket? If executive experience was such a prereq anyway then why didn't the repubs vote for all the other executives running?

Palin is hardcore pandering. I'm really interested in watching this play out. Especially after her ardent attacks.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:20 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:

You don't have to be an executive to understand the Chi's Southside. You just need to go there and talk to folks who live there.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:21 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
Yet the OP provides no actual evidence of this but makes a false claim. Isn't there a name for that type of arguement?
Claims can be proven to be false but just claiming something is true or false does not make it so.

Billions of people each day claim that a God exist in the absents of empirical evidence, yet this is accepted by many as a truth. There are people who claim that the earth is hollow or flat and that the moon is made of cheese. If we wish to challenges these statements, then we provide evidence to the contrary where upon the person making the original statement either concedes in light of the evidence or then provides evidence to argue their case.

However being this is a general public forum with people of all walks of life, colors, creed, religious backgrounds and levels of education, this level of standard scientific method is usually not used for obvious reasons.

So if we find the OP's assertions baseless and without merit then why bother to respond in the first place? If we wish to challenge an OP's assertion then we should attempt to make our case. Otherwise it will follow something like this...

The moon is really hollow

no it isn't

yes it is

no it isn't, you're an idiot

no i'm not and your momma dresses you funny...

rinse, repeat...

moderator intervention.

of course now I'm off topic and shall infract myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections