Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:34 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,571,454 times

Advertisements

"Mr. Gushee says Gov. Palin should explain her beliefs concerning the inevitability of a cataclysm and the end of time. "To me, it is highly relevant to someone who potentially has her hand on the nuclear button," he says"
Source

Hmmm...He thinks she should explain herself to the American people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:14 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,618,597 times
I thought the title of this thread also meant she was attending wrights church

However, upon reading the article it said that she was baptised into it as a teen and left the church in 2002. Now, I was raised catholic -- that doesn't mean I am still a catholic or believe in it. It does mean that I am still friends with and have family that are catholic. Could this be the case with palin? Has anyone asked? The wsj certainly didn't.

That said, if she is still into the cataclysmic church thing that does scare me and I wouldn't want her near foreign policy. I wouldn't want the USAs foreign policy dictated by the potus or vpotus religious views.
But guess what.....I also wouldn't want the USAs foreign policy dictated by the potus or vpotus mentors religous/social views either. Remember, obama only quit his church under intense scrutiny, palin quit hers in 2002 -- unless that was under press scrutiny as well, which I would like to know -- there is a difference.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,071,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Do you have the courage to say that about fundamental Islam? Do you?
All fundamentalist religions necessarily set up an us vs them mentality. If you are the ones, the ones with the truth, then the rest are either wrong, ignorant, or evil. Fundamentalist religions are divisive no matter what type they are. So yes, fundamentalist Islam, fundamentalist Hindu, fundamentalist Christianity, etc all require adherence to a strict set of beliefs that do not embrace others.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:25 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,712,480 times
Well "camping!", there's a big difference between the two churces. The United Church of Christ (Obama's Church) is a mainstream protestant denomination known for it's moderate views. Reverend Wright was an anomaly within that church, and really only gave a few controversial speeches over his long career. Pentacostal churches are structurally extreme places, and I do not believe that ANY member of that family of churches should be allowed to lead our nation. My brother was a member of an Assemblies of God church for several years, and the hatred and extreme political views discussed EVERY SUNDAY were very alarming to the rest of his family. And there are clips of SARAH PALIN HERSELF making speeches in front of her congregation making crazy statements about the separation of church and state.

OF COURSE you can say the same about radical Islam, or any other extreme religious views. We should not be putting religious extremists of ANY KIND in positions of power.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,821,170 times
I'm Pentecostal (part of the largest Pentecostal denomination in the U.S. in fact) and trust me, we aren't all ultra right-wing wacko's.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:40 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,809,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
At the Pentecostal church where Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin worshipped for more than two decades, congregants speak in tongues and are part of a faith that believes humanity is in its "end times"

Palin's Faith Is Seen In Church Upbringing - WSJ.com
I think what is more telling (damning) in that article is that Palin asked a youth group at the church to pray for a proposed natural gas pipeline in Alaska. What kind of wingnuts are we sending to Washington.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,071,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'm Pentecostal (part of the largest Pentecostal denomination in the U.S. in fact) and trust me, we aren't all ultra right-wing wacko's.
Great, a member of a Pentecostal church. Can you describe your church so those of us who are not as familiar can be educated? ? My understanding of the Pentecostal church is that it is based in the fruits of the Holy Spirit and that includes speaking in tongues. There is a pentecostal, small p, movement in the Catholic church and it does center on praying for specific actions and speaking in tongues.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,618,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Well "camping!", there's a big difference between the two churces. The United Church of Christ (Obama's Church) is a mainstream protestant denomination known for it's moderate views. Reverend Wright was an anomaly within that church, and really only gave a few controversial speeches over his long career. Pentacostal churches are structurally extreme places, and I do not believe that ANY member of that family of churches should be allowed to lead our nation. My brother was a member of an Assemblies of God church for several years, and the hatred and extreme political views discussed EVERY SUNDAY were very alarming to the rest of his family. And there are clips of SARAH PALIN HERSELF making speeches in front of her congregation making crazy statements about the separation of church and state.

OF COURSE you can say the same about radical Islam, or any other extreme religious views. We should not be putting religious extremists of ANY KIND in positions of power.
Don't get me wrong, I do not want a religous zealot of any type (but particularily end times) in the oval office. I don't think it is a good idea for many many reasons, the least of which is their very core belief that their religion has a dominant place in political decisions.
But please, you honestly don't see an equally extreme polarizing figure in wright? Or his son? Or their good friend Farrakhan? Or the wacky catholic priest? That wasn't a few odd moments in twenty years...that was an ongoing behavior and theology of hatred and victimization. Different types of extremes, certainly --- but extremes nonetheless. And both are deserving to be fully investigated (or vetted if you prefer) prior to taking office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections