U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Downtown Greensboro, NC
3,491 posts, read 7,861,800 times
Reputation: 619

Advertisements

Its very Obvious that there are very few minorities in a party thats dominated by white people. The democratic party is a diverse party with whites, blacks, latinos and asians. The republican party is doomed because the census bureau has reported that by 2042, minorities will make up the majority of the country's population. I know ProudCapMarine doesn like that Since minorities overwhelmimgly vote for democrats, the republican party is in trouble. Evidence of that is the nomination of Barack Obama. Part of the reason is that the republicans have abandoned the concerns of minorities where the democrats have embraced it. Bottom line. The country is changing but the republican party isnt. Because of the cultural shift in America ,there will soon be a day when minority presidents will be common and we will think nothing of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:04 AM
 
Location: South Seattle Suburbs
3,350 posts, read 5,954,842 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Its very Obvious that there are very few minorities in a party thats dominated by white people. The democratic party is a diverse party with whites, blacks, latinos and asians.
Sorry, but this is a crock. Bush's cabinet was far more diverse than Clinton's. Republicans put the first woman on the Supreme Court. Republicans set the slaves free and had to fight southern Democrats to pass civil rights legislation. The Democrats are only interested in women and minorities who march 100% in lockstep with their views. Maybe people don't notice the "minorities" in the GOP because the party isn't constantly drawing attention to the fact that they're minorities, like the Dems do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Downtown Greensboro, NC
3,491 posts, read 7,861,800 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
Sorry, but this is a crock. Bush's cabinet was far more diverse than Clinton's. Republicans put the first woman on the Supreme Court. The Democrats are only interested in women and minorities who march 100% in lockstep with their views. Maybe people don't notice the "minorities" in the GOP because the party isn't constantly drawing attention to the fact that they're minorities, like the Dems do.
yea putting in some token blacks really makes the republican party diverse..give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:08 AM
 
Location: West Texas
2,441 posts, read 5,371,447 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Its very Obvious that there are very few minorities in a party thats dominated by white people. The democratic party is a diverse party with whites, blacks, latinos and asians. The republican party is doomed because the census bureau has reported that by 2042, minorities will make up the majority of the country's population and since minorities overwhelmimgly vote for democrats, the republican party is in trouble. Evidence of that is the nomination of Barack Obama. Part of the reason is that the republicans have abandoned the concerns of minorities where the democrats have embraced it. Bottom line. The country is changing but the republican party isnt. Because of the cultural shift in America ,there will soon be a day when minority president will be common and we will think nothing of it.
I have to disagree with you here, G. It's because Republicans don't pander to social programs that support minorities and discourage them from even trying to get jobs because we keep them in comfort with welfare, HUD, WIC, and all the other social programs.

If you think they aren't in comfort.. get rid of those programs and see how they live.

I support programs for those that need it... as a temporary assistance... not for a continual way of life!

Those minorities that have struggled through the "glass ceilings" have taken the time to educate themselves, pull themselves up against odds and make something of themselves (and I'm not talking about just doctors and lawyers), those are the minorities you will generally see in the Republican party.

But I get the gist of your point.. and it's sad that the parties are divided this way.

When you look at it, the Republican party is supposed to be the "conservative" party. That is the religiously-based party who make decisions based on region-based morality. And when you look at many minorities (blacks, hispanics, etc.) they are very active in their churches, baptist, catholic, whichever. So, you think it would be natural for them to pull with the party that supports religiously-backed emphasis. So, why is it then they turn their back on a specific party that should so obviously support their point of view?

Maybe it's rhetorical, but the only answer I can come up with on why they choose their needs over their religion is because of social programs. I may very well be wrong on this... (and I'm not asking for an attack, but a logical, reasonable answer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,700 posts, read 35,627,629 times
Reputation: 7952
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
yea putting in some token blacks really makes the republican party diverse..give me a break.
At least Colin Powell saw the writing on the wall. I will always respect him for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Downtown Greensboro, NC
3,491 posts, read 7,861,800 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I have to disagree with you here, G. It's because Republicans don't pander to social programs that support minorities and discourage them from even trying to get jobs because we keep them in comfort with welfare, HUD, WIC, and all the other social programs.

If you think they aren't in comfort.. get rid of those programs and see how they live.

I support programs for those that need it... as a temporary assistance... not for a continual way of life!

Those minorities that have struggled through the "glass ceilings" have taken the time to educate themselves, pull themselves up against odds and make something of themselves (and I'm not talking about just doctors and lawyers), those are the minorities you will generally see in the Republican party.

But I get the gist of your point.. and it's sad that the parties are divided this way.

When you look at it, the Republican party is supposed to be the "conservative" party. That is the religiously-based party who make decisions based on region-based morality. And when you look at many minorities (blacks, hispanics, etc.) they are very active in their churches, baptist, catholic, whichever. So, you think it would be natural for them to pull with the party that supports religiously-backed emphasis. So, why is it then they turn their back on a specific party that should so obviously support their point of view?

Maybe it's rhetorical, but the only answer I can come up with on why they choose their needs over their religion is because of social programs. I may very well be wrong on this... (and I'm not asking for an attack, but a logical, reasonable answer).
you know just as good as I that minorities have it harder than white people when it comes to climbing up the ladder of success. Racism still exists in this country and that becomes apparently when a less experience white male is hired for a postion over a more qaulified black male or black female. But the republican party is now using religion for political gain and Minorities who have supported democrats over the years see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:14 AM
 
Location: West Texas
2,441 posts, read 5,371,447 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
you know just as good as I that minorities have it harder than white people when it comes to climbing up the ladder of success. Racism still exists in this country and that becomes apparently when a less experience white male is hired for a postion over a more qaulified black male or black female.
Not arguing that. I'm trying to address why the Republican party doesn't have as many minorities as the Democratic party does. That was the issue in your original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Downtown Greensboro, NC
3,491 posts, read 7,861,800 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Not arguing that. I'm trying to address why the Republican party doesn't have as many minorities as the Democratic party does. That was the issue in your original post.
because the republicans try to take away programs that assist minorities that puts them on an even playing field with white people for starters. Part of it is history as well. The democrats fought for civil rights back in the 1960s. It was because of democrats that blacks and minorities have the right to vote. But the poor repsonse to Katrina is anther example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 AM
 
2,257 posts, read 3,520,103 times
Reputation: 475
The party that won the last two presidential elections is dying

mmmK

As you mature and your earning power increases you will start to see the world in a different way. Maybe alot like the old Republicans you speak of who make up a powerful voting block and will only grow as the boomers move into retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 AM
 
2,257 posts, read 3,520,103 times
Reputation: 475
Repubs dont want to take away programs, they just dont want to create more costly

"programs"


Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
because the republicans try to take away programs that assist minorities that puts them on an even playing field with white people for starters. part of it is history as well. The democrats fought for civil rights back in the 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:52 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top