Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:56 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberta View Post
I haven't planned on voting for Mccain, but all of the anti-Palin ranting on here, turns me off, and causes me to admire her, even tho I don't agree with everything she says. The negative posts about her, really don't help the other side. So she is religious. Most Presidents, and vps have been. I don't think we've ever had an atheist President? I'm not catholic, but I didn't care that JFK was. I'm not baptist. but Carter was, and who cared. Most are some religion--so why does it matter if Palin is also religious. I don't see a problem.
I think you are missing the point. I certainly am not against a religious person or president. I do have to sincerely question someone's mind when they effectively say god told her that going to Iraq was OK. Regardless of whether god used ATT / Tmobile/ or the Bible, it is the SAME god tells some "mullahs" things that are very different and it is ok to harm the West. Both versions are extreme. If you do not believe the mullahs, you should not believe Palin either. If she makes statements based on logic, things would be much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 08:37 PM

474 posts, read 601,480 times
Hey Folks. I suggested you check Obama's financial disclosure statement and gave the wrong address the correct one is www.opensecrets.org. You can check any congressperson's financial disclosure statement. Read how during the year of 2007, both michele and obama earned 4.2 million dollars including the advance from Random House.Now mind you, Obama was working at his law office, writing a book, campaigning. During his time in the Senate he attended 143 working days and voted present 140 times. In the meantime, Gov. Palin worked over 600 days as executive officer, Governor of Alaska. Add that to her time as city councillor and Mayor, who has experience? By the way if Obama has been working in the Congress, writing books, working in his law practice, found time for campaigning, when did he see his kids? Shouldn't we ask a male candidate questions like that?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Lie/Distortion #1: She claimed to be an advocate for Special needs children and presented the McCain/Palin Ticket as Shepards for Childrens health.

Fact: John McCain voted against expanding Schip to millions of American children. Remember the 12 year old boy who Republicans attacked last year?
Republicans don't have much of a track record supporting the needs of children or the healthcare of Americans.

Lie/Distortion #2: She compared herself to Harry S. Truman (as a way of saying that he was from a small town too....and as a way to deal with the experience question).

Fact: Yes, Truman was from a small town. Before being nominated for Vice President, Truman had years of experience as an Army officer and Veteran of World War I, was a Judge, and was a U.S. Senator for a decade.

This woman can't be serious.

Lie/Distortion #3: Claimed extensive experience to be VP based on her time as Mayor of Wasilla Alaska, and her one full year as Governor. She claimed in the speech that she would explain what her daily duties were as Mayor... but she never got around to explaining.

Fact: The town of Wasilla had a population of about 6 or 7 thousand when she was Mayor. This is hardly proper preparation to run a Country of 300 million and to deal with a $3 Trillion annual budget....the biggest budget in the World. Pat Buchanan (who Palin once supported) and other respected commentators, and former officials agree....she's not ready. Palin does not meet the qualifications for Vice President.

Lie/Distortion #4: She stated that she has a track record of governing with integrity and goodwill.

Not quite, Mrs. Britney Spears of politics.

Fact: She is currently under investigation in Alaska for ethics violations...(also known as Troopergate) for the wrongful firing of her Public Safety director. Palin wanted the Public Safety director to illegally fire a State Trooper, Mike Wooten, who happened to be Palin's brother in law. Wooten was involved (and still is) in an ugly divorce and custody battle with Palin's sister.

As if that's not bad enough, before becoming Governor, Palin was involved in the firings of several Wasilla City officials... who she did not agree with politically. These city officials were not fired because they were not doing their jobs...they were fired for petty political reasons. Sarah Palin was also nearly recalled as Mayor of Wasilla.

Lie/Distortion #5: She is a reformer...and she killed the Bridge to Nowhere.

The "Reformer" title is a stretch...and the Bridge to Nowhere story is a lie.

Fact: In Alaska, Palin took full advantage of wasteful earmarks (when she was on the receiving end of the money). She also initially supported the Bridge to Nowhere...and was a big supporter of her mentor Ted Stevens... who was indicted recently on corruption charges. Palin was in cahoots with the same corporate donors who sent money to Stevens. See more on the Bridge To Nowhere from the Huffpost.

Lie/Distortion #6: Claimed that her efforts to develop Alaska's oil industry would lead the nation to energy independence.

Fact: We can't get that much oil out of Alaska...not enough to free us from foreign oil dependence. And even if Alaska had half the oil that would be needed for energy independence... it would take at least a decade before we would see any benefit...and even then, it wouldn't be a significant savings for Americans. The Republicans keep framing the debate...and making voters believe that more drilling today will lead to lower prices at the pump next week. That's not going to happen.

The best way to achieve energy self sufficiency is to use a broad mix of sources (including some additional drilling)... but the main focus should be to move from oil as a mainstay of our energy policy. That's old thinking. Breaking dependence on outside oil will eventually require an energy policy built around new forms of energy....alternative energy... wind, solar, hydrogen vehicles, new battery technology, ethanol, natural gas, nuclear, and limited clean coal resources.

Palin is looking out for Alaska when she is talking about boosting the oil industry there...she's not looking out for the U.S.

Lie/Distortion #7: Obama never wrote or sponsored one piece of reform legislation.

Well....she was partly right... he didn't write or co-sponsor just one piece of legislation on reform... he helped write/ or co-sponsored at least 3. All significant.

This woman is going to be worse than Cheney.... we will have fond memories of Dick Cheney by the time Palin settles in as VP.

Fact: Obama co-sponsored ethics reform legislation as a Senator in the State of Illinois. After entering the U.S. Senate... Obama co-sponsored a Bill curbing gifts and gratuities for members of Congress... He also supported laws that require more transparancy (supported a Federal Website for the public) so that voters can see how Congress is spending their tax money. There have also been other ethics Bills supported or sponsored by Obama.

There's a lot more. Want the rest???

Last edited by sickofnyc; 09-10-2008 at 09:23 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 10:11 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Lie/Distortion #1: She claimed to be an advocate for Special needs children and presented the McCain/Palin Ticket as Shepards for Childrens health.

Fact: John McCain voted against expanding Schip to millions of American children. Remember the 12 year old boy who Republicans attacked last year?
Republicans don't have much of a track record supporting the needs of children or the healthcare of Americans.

Lie/Distortion #2: She compared herself to Harry S. Truman (as a way of saying that he was from a small town too....and as a way to deal with the experience question).

Fact: Yes, Truman was from a small town. Before being nominated for Vice President, Truman had years of experience as an Army officer and Veteran of World War I, was a Judge, and was a U.S. Senator for a decade.

Lie/Distortion #3: Claimed extensive experience to be VP based on her time as Mayor of Wasilla Alaska, and her one full year as Governor. She claimed in the speech that she would explain what her daily duties were as Mayor... but she never got around to explaining.

Fact: The town of Wasilla had a population of about 6 or 7 thousand when she was Mayor. This is hardly proper preparation to run a Country of 300 million and to deal with a $3 Trillion annual budget....the biggest budget in the World. Pat Buchanan (who Palin once supported) and other respected commentators, and former officials agree....she's not ready. Palin does not meet the qualifications for Vice President.

Lie/Distortion #4: She stated that she has a track record of governing with integrity and goodwill.

Fact: She is currently under investigation in Alaska for ethics violations...(also known as Troopergate) for the wrongful firing of her Public Safety director. Palin wanted the Public Safety director to illegally fire a State Trooper, Mike Wooten, who happened to be Palin's brother in law. Wooten was involved (and still is) in an ugly divorce and custody battle with Palin's sister.

As if that's not bad enough, before becoming Governor, Palin was involved in the firings of several Wasilla City officials... who she did not agree with politically. These city officials were not fired because they were not doing their jobs...they were fired for petty political reasons. Sarah Palin was also nearly recalled as Mayor of Wasilla.

Fact: In Alaska, Palin took full advantage of wasteful earmarks (when she was on the receiving end of the money). She also initially supported the Bridge to Nowhere...and was a big supporter of her mentor Ted Stevens... who was indicted recently on corruption charges. Palin was in cahoots with the same corporate donors who sent money to Stevens. See more on the Bridge To Nowhere from the Huffpost.

Lie/Distortion #6: Claimed that her efforts to develop Alaska's oil industry would lead the nation to energy independence.

Fact: We can't get that much oil out of Alaska...not enough to free us from foreign oil dependence. And even if Alaska had half the oil that would be needed for energy independence... it would take at least a decade before we would see any benefit...and even then, it wouldn't be a significant savings for Americans. The Republicans keep framing the debate...and making voters believe that more drilling today will lead to lower prices at the pump next week. That's not going to happen.

The best way to achieve energy self sufficiency is to use a broad mix of sources (including some additional drilling)... but the main focus should be to move from oil as a mainstay of our energy policy. That's old thinking. Breaking dependence on outside oil will eventually require an energy policy built around new forms of energy....alternative energy... wind, solar, hydrogen vehicles, new battery technology, ethanol, natural gas, nuclear, and limited clean coal resources.

Palin is looking out for Alaska when she is talking about boosting the oil industry there...she's not looking out for the U.S.

Lie/Distortion #7: Obama never wrote or sponsored one piece of reform legislation.

Well....she was partly right... he didn't write or co-sponsor just one piece of legislation on reform... he helped write/ or co-sponsored at least 3. All significant.

This woman is going to be worse than Cheney.... we will have fond memories of Dick Cheney by the time Palin settles in as VP.

Fact: Obama co-sponsored ethics reform legislation as a Senator in the State of Illinois. After entering the U.S. Senate... Obama co-sponsored a Bill curbing gifts and gratuities for members of Congress... He also supported laws that require more transparancy (supported a Federal Website for the public) so that voters can see how Congress is spending their tax money. There have also been other ethics Bills supported or sponsored by Obama.

You wasted so much time reading junk no one will read, and your guy still loses.... Good job

Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:

Good post. Britney Spears of Politics is a good one.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
You wasted so much time reading junk no one will read, and your guy still loses.... Good job
Here we go again...you people will not research or fact check..you don't want to know the truth. You just follow the herd.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:16 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Here we go again...you people will not research or fact check..you don't want to know the truth. You just follow the herd.
I thought the same thing. I look at what is going on, and who is the best person to do the job.

I look at what is really being said, and what their issues are. I don't care if someone is nice looking or ugly. I don't care if they are short or tall.

It is obvious McCain chose her because he wanted a woman who would be far more interesting than he could ever be. I can't believe people can't see this. I wonder what the top people in Washington really think.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
THere are things about her that I disagree with completely. But I am beginning to admire her spunk and the strength she has and continues to exhibit.
Sanrene:Rep to you ***gasp*** for your honesty and realization what she does for WOMEN, no matter what political party they are from.""

Poster never mentioned women. WHAT does Sara do for women??? Besides wanting to control their reproductive rights????? Eliminate their rights..

OH ya Sara has strenght and spunk....and so do MANY other female politicians!!!!!

AND many of them also have EXPERIENCE! Many of them know about foreign relations!!!

[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

Old 09-11-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I thought the same thing. I look at what is going on, and who is the best person to do the job.

I look at what is really being said, and what their issues are. I don't care if someone is nice looking or ugly. I don't care if they are short or tall.

It is obvious McCain chose her because he wanted a woman who would be far more interesting than he could ever be. I can't believe people can't see this. I wonder what the top people in Washington really think.
This hillbilly chick has been waiting in the wings for awhile. Cheney and Rove's fingerprints are all over McCain's campaign. I've read stuff in the last few days about the McCain camp employeeing some of the same dirt bags that helped Bush steal his Presidency. They needed Caribou Barbie to win over the extremist religious vote from the people that were complacent about McCain. They are taking atttention away from the fact that their party has no issues to stand on. I detest McCain for hypocrite that he is.
How dare he choose to stick this no nothing, unvetted, end time believer as second in command? He does not give a crap about this country. He's a neocon plain and simple. He's in bed with the Bush Crime Family who in turn is in bed with the Saudis and big oil.

When McCain expires, I will dance on his grave with a red dress. He's a traitor and the fact that there are people that are supporting this poor excuse for an acceptable candidate is deplorable!

Old 09-11-2008, 02:35 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,595 times
Quote:
. . . .
When McCain expires, I will dance on his grave with a red dress. He's a traitor and the fact that there are people that are supporting this poor excuse for an acceptable candidate is deplorable!
Another Obama supporter expresses her political views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections