Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 04:19 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,923 times

Advertisements

Palin's snarky comment that "being a small town mayor is a lot like being a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities" shows how far down the GOP has come since the first President Bush extolled the virtues of community organizers in his famous thousand points of light speech.

No responsibilities, governor? Really?

Take a look at the programs funded by the Points of Light institute at Programs > Programs . Volunteer programs. Programs for helping disabled people. Disaster preparedness. Think about all of those groups in your communities and in your churches that feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, clothe the needy and visit those who have been forgotten or ignored.

Community organizers don't have responsibilities? Tell that to the food bank workers that work hard to make sure that they have food for the families that rely on them. Tell that to the woman who needs shelter from an abusive husband and finds it in a church hall. Tell that to all of the people who volunteer in their churches with outreach programs. Tell that to the people running the food bank in the small town in Missouri.

Most community organizers that I know have a great sense of responsibility about what they do. They know that someone might not eat tonight if they don't do their job. They know that they have to keep their word so that people can eat and be safe. They know that an elderly person may not make it to the doctor or the pharmacy if they aren't there to give them a ride.

While Palin was hiring lobbyists and suckling at the federal teat for millions of federal tax dollars for her town of 6,000, community organizers were out in the streets and rural roads quietly doing the work that needs to be done to make sure people don't starve and that they are safe.

Why insult the people who are using their own resources to help people instead of turning to the government? Isn't that what true Republicans want to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 04:21 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,723 times
It's amazing that they (I say they since she had a Bush speechwriter) (hey, ironic, isn't it) so completely mock community organizers. Like it's a bad thing! I cannot stand this arrogant, condescending woman - who has not earned that attitude.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Rudy Guiliani made similar disparaging remarks. I remember that prior to Biden's speech the media said, 'His job is to attack the opponent/pit bull...'

I took Palin's remark in that context. This followed 3/4 days of headlines over her lack of experience and her family.

Much worse will soon follow on both sides I am certain.

And truly, I would prefer that a candidate for president had broader experience as valuable as community organizing experience may be.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:37 PM

But look how Biden did it - he didn't attack the man. He didn't call McCain's patriotism in to question. He just said he disagreed with his old friend and gave examples why.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
But look how Biden did it - he didn't attack the man. He didn't call McCain's patriotism in to question. He just said he disagreed with his old friend and gave examples why.
That is the better way.

I know less than an ant about 'politics' --how/why things are said and done, etc

I surmise that party officials decided that an attack on Obama's experience would serve notice that Gov. Palin was ready/able for a fight. Who knows--not me for certain.

I have read posts criticizing Sarah Palin on everything from her hair, glasses, choice of dress, to her family and find all of this very distasteful.

Maybe someone will have more informed ideas.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:10 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,331 times
Quote:
Palin's snarky comment that "being a small town mayor is a lot like being a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities" shows how far down the GOP has come since the first President Bush extolled the virtues of community organizers in his famous thousand points of light speech.

Take a look at the programs funded by the Points of Light institute at Programs > Programs . Volunteer programs. Programs for helping disabled people. Disaster preparedness. Think about all of those groups in your communities and in your churches that feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, clothe the needy and visit those who have been forgotten or ignored.

Community organizers don't have responsibilities? Tell that to the food bank workers that work hard to make sure that they have food for the families that rely on them. Tell that to the woman who needs shelter from an abusive husband and finds it in a church hall. Tell that to all of the people who volunteer in their churches with outreach programs. Tell that to the people running the food bank in the small town in Missouri.

Most community organizers that I know have a great sense of responsibility about what they do. They know that someone might not eat tonight if they don't do their job. They know that they have to keep their word so that people can eat and be safe. They know that an elderly person may not make it to the doctor or the pharmacy if they aren't there to give them a ride.

While Palin was hiring lobbyists and suckling at the federal teat for millions of federal tax dollars for her town of 6,000, community organizers were out in the streets and rural roads quietly doing the work that needs to be done to make sure people don't starve and that they are safe.

Why insult the people who are using their own resources to help people instead of turning to the government? Isn't that what true Republicans want to see?
Cool! Now I suppose I'm qualified to run for president since I've helped with community organizers in the past! Good to know, sign me up for 2012.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:11 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,111 times
I said it once before and I will say it again. I am not religious but even I know that Jesus was a Community Activist and Pontius Pilate was a Governor/State Rep.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:21 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,224 times
Quote:

Agreed. You only insult when you have nothing about yourself to brag about which was very obvious last night in her "BS" speech. I guess she wasn't talking to those struggling folks on the streets of Chicago and speaking directly to their "rich" Republican base which has a motto "your on ya own people".

Old 09-04-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Cool! Now I suppose I'm qualified to run for president since I've helped with community organizers in the past! Good to know, sign me up for 2012.
You've apparently demonstrated a willingness to look past the end of your nose to reach out and help others with no thought of a personal reward.

I'd love to have a president with that kind of attitude. Help those in need, not your friends who already have plenty. Do it because it's right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections