U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-05-2008, 05:49 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,457,263 times
Default Rock Band Heart- Don't use Barracuda.......

The rock band Heart has issued a statement to the republicans demanding that they stop using their song "Barracuda" as Palin's theme song.

The Reps didn't listen- they used the song again last night.

How many artists now have refused to lend their music to the GOP campaign?

I know John Mellencamp & Jackson Browne did as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-05-2008, 05:50 AM

13,271 posts, read 27,549,083 times
I had wondered if Heart would react unfavorably.
This reminds me of when Springsteen protested Reagan's use of Born in the USA.

Unread 09-05-2008, 05:50 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,457,263 times
Forgot the link:

"This afternoon, Heart emailed out a statement regarding vice-presidential candidate Sarah "Barracuda" Palin's use of their similarly monikered song at the Republican National Convention: "The Republican campaign did not ask for permission to use the song, nor would they have been granted that permission," it read. "We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We hope our wishes will be honored."

Exclusive: Heart's Nancy Wilson responds to McCain campaign's use of 'Barracuda' at Republican convention | Current Affairs, Music, Music Biz | Hollywood Insider | EW.com

Unread 09-05-2008, 06:06 AM

2,258 posts, read 2,358,120 times
I'll be holding a McCain /Barracuda sign at the Heart show this coming up wednesday

Unread 09-05-2008, 06:54 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,311,779 times
Who would want their music associated with the GOP at this point in time? They've really gone done hill (or rather, too far to the right).

Unread 09-05-2008, 07:05 AM

2,565 posts, read 3,422,364 times
If the campaign listened to the lyrics, they wouldn't want to use it anyway. The "Barracuda" in the song is a sleazeball, based on a real-life experience Ann and Nancy Wilson had with a music-indsutry guy who wanted to portray the sisters as lesbian lovers.

I can't believe they'd want to use that song. How stupid.

Unread 09-05-2008, 07:34 AM

3,844 posts, read 6,317,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
If the campaign listened to the lyrics, they wouldn't want to use it anyway. The "Barracuda" in the song is a sleazeball, based on a real-life experience Ann and Nancy Wilson had with a music-indsutry guy who wanted to portray the sisters as lesbian lovers.

I can't believe they'd want to use that song. How stupid.
Come on, what do you expect? Does anyone honestly think McCain has ANY grasp of rock history?

Can you imagine him at a concert? LMAO!!

Unread 09-05-2008, 07:49 AM

14,262 posts, read 14,311,378 times
Well, they can switch to the Fergie version of the same song then.

It's a little more up to date, anyway.

Unread 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM

2,258 posts, read 2,358,120 times
McCain says he would have loved to attend Woodstock but he was tied up at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Come on, what do you expect? Does anyone honestly think McCain has ANY grasp of rock history?

Can you imagine him at a concert? LMAO!!

Unread 09-05-2008, 07:53 AM

3,454 posts, read 4,372,661 times
Many musicians are a bunch of pathetic liberals anyway; who cares what they think.

I doubt Fergie would have much of a different view on using her version--

But I'm sure someone in the country music world could pull it off and they'd probably be more receptive to conservative views and less likely to be an elitist snob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections