Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:32 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Lots of posts here throwing that term around, so I ask you all this........

96% of all black folks in America are planing to vote for Obama.

Around 45% of all white people plan to vote for Obama.

Clearly a minimum of 45% of all blacks are voting for Obama simply because he is black. There is no other way to explain it.

Ya, ya, I know you will all post about the social issues Obam supports that will benefit Black folks and yada, yada, yada, but trust me when I tell you there are many well to do black americans who are fiscally conservative and value traditional American values, yet they still intend to vote Obama!

I would sincerely have much greater respect for African Americans if the split was 60-40, or even 70-30, but 96-4 to me spells racism and nothing else!
So what if it is racist? As if black folks gave a rats ass about what you think anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 11:40 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Normally, I would say that voting for someone simply based on race or ethnicity is a rather narrow-minded move. But come on. All things considered, is it really so surprising that black folks would want a black president? I see it the way the Irish saw JFK. It means you have arrived, that you have made it. One of your own gets the White House, where else is there to go? Its the tops.

Now if the Dems were running Sharpton, I suspect alot less of them would vote this way. Obama is many things, but a Sharpton he is not. So cut them some slack. No matter how you view race relations, you must admit that being black is not easy.
Especially not on this forum.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:44 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
First off, I am not saying that Mccain is the answer to all of our answers.. but I believe he is better than the alternative. Obama (black or white) talks a good talk - he is a great speach giver. What else qualifies him to run our country? Sorry, I just believe that this is not the time to try out a new guy no matter what the color of his skin is!

In case you haven't noticed by my screen name - I'm not a white man and believe me, certainly I am not rich!
So just because you believe that McCain is better than the alternative automatically makes you the authority on how everyone else shoud feel?

Maybe other people think that it's time to try a new guy out or maybe they feel that his platform is more in line with their beliefs than McCain.

Just because you feel that you are right doesn't mean that you are.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Alan Keyes was running at one time and black folks didn't flock to him. Nor did they flock to Sharpton, Jackson or Carol Mosley Braun.
That fact is always ignored. If black people always vote for black candidates then why didn't Sharpton or Jackson or Braun get the majority of their vote?

It can't possibly be because they have done their research or have a political view

Old 09-05-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Kerry, Gore, and Clinton don't stand a chance of getting the black vote when they are up against a black candidate. I think Hillary learned her lesson, but the rest are still a little blind.

Next.
And we know this how? I don't see any evidence of it.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
It has everything to do with this thread. White people who claim to be life-long democrats are refusing to vote for Obama, a democrat.

It goes both ways, some Black republicans may be voting for Obama because he's Black, and some non-Black democrats may be voting for McCain because he's White.
Well you're forgetting about Independent. I was a serious Bill Clinton supporter and would have voted for him forever.

Clintons are Centrists. Obama is the most left Liberal Democrat in the Senate. And has the long serving insider BIDEN as a running mate. I am against BIDEN who screw ed America with the Bankruptcy bill of 2005 to protect his credit card /financial compaines in his home state and then Obama made his speech "now is the time for Bankruptcy reform".

I perceive Obama as a radical leftist, with unsavory racist Anti American associations, with a voting record I disapprove of, being a Constitutional lawyer who won't make a straight statement in the typical way of a Constitutional lawyer hedging everything. A flip flopper, and if you want to talk about personalities , smug, superior, aloof, above reproach, condescending to Bitter Americans clinging to guns and religion. And threw granny under the bus to make a racist argument of her being a "typical white person". Further it was OBAMA throwing race into every single speech he made then yelling racism against Bill Clinton of all people.

I feel his radical leftist position is also proven by his answer at Saddleback when he decided the Supreme Ct justice that didn't deserve the job was Clarence Thomas. But he almost said "not experienced enough" and caught it in time after stuttering and rephrased. Thomas is NOT Left enough for OBAMA and his voting and political record is what most people would say.

Further, he sent his wife out to blab and when her statements backfired, he took once again, the "off limits" tactic just like with Rev Wright and all of a sudden everyone was mean.

Barack Obama is a dangerous entity because he is a proven ultra leftist with extreme and radical associations who cannot be a straight talker, and has a voting record of cherry picking certain issues.Add that to his experience being 140 days in the Senate before running for President and NO Executive experience and there's no doubt he is not the candidate for me.

Barack OBAMA is no Bill Clinton. And disrespected the Clintons while we're on the subject. More smug arrogance.

The worst part about an Obama election is that he is an extremely crafty politician with some heavy duty support in the left wing world, and in my view has crafted his entire career to advance his agenda. NOT the agenda of "people".

Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Just a question - were they running agains a black opponent?
See Cohen v. Tinker in Tennessee. In that contest, Black voters in Memphis voted overwhelmingly for a candidate who was white and Jewish, over a candidate who was Black and protestant and a Democrat.

And this isn't an abberation. It happens all across the country.

Shame to see so-called Black Americans suggesting stereotypes about other Black Americans.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Lots of posts here throwing that term around, so I ask you all this........

96% of all black folks in America are planing to vote for Obama.

Around 45% of all white people plan to vote for Obama.

Clearly a minimum of 45% of all blacks are voting for Obama simply because he is black. There is no other way to explain it.

Ya, ya, I know you will all post about the social issues Obam supports that will benefit Black folks and yada, yada, yada, but trust me when I tell you there are many well to do black americans who are fiscally conservative and value traditional American values, yet they still intend to vote Obama!

I would sincerely have much greater respect for African Americans if the split was 60-40, or even 70-30, but 96-4 to me spells racism and nothing else!
Again, I fail to see this point. So if someone values traditional American values they should't vote for Obama?

What exactly are traditional American Values? Would it include divorce & aldutery? if so then what would make McCain a better choice? Would it include sex before marriage? if so then why would I vote for Palin?

This sounds so much like saying someone is not patriotic because they don't wear a flag pin.

BTW, if McCain's platform aligned with my views on the issues, then it really wouldn't matter to me what he did to his first wife or Palin's family life. Using the traditional American values arguement is old.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:57 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
First off, I am not saying that [Obama] is the answer to all of our answers.. but I believe he is better than the alternative. [Palin] (black or white) talks a good talk - [s]he is a great speach giver. What else qualifies h[er] to run our country? Sorry, I just believe that this is not the time to try out a new g[al] no matter what the color of h[er] skin is!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
See Cohen v. Tinker in Tennessee. In that contest, Black voters in Memphis voted overwhelmingly for a candidate who was white and Jewish, over a candidate who was Black and protestant and a Democrat.

And this isn't an abberation. It happens all across the country.

Shame to see so-called Black Americans suggesting stereotypes about other Black Americans.
I think we can all agree that African Americans statistically vote Democratic. And plenty of AF. Am. vote for white candidates opposing black I'm sure there are examples.

Regardless of "everyday" races, when it comes to a historic Presidential election, when there are people alive who had to use separate facilities and had grandmothers who were slaves, that this is different.

And rightly so.

Further, the effort to enroll previous non-voters and draw on the enthusiasm of the candidate, it's logical to assume that there will be a giant blip in voting. IF THEY CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN. People are notoriously LAZY.

Couple this with the past 8 years it should be an easy Democratic win but race DOES enter into it. The whole "middle" of the country was Red last time and OBAMA has successfully alienated alot of middle America. It''s not skin color it's HIM. (sorry)

All this historic poignancy, however, should not mitigate the concerns about Obama and limit the discussion. Unfortunately, the entire election has been hijacked with emotion especially from the MEDIA. jmo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections