Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:56 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,000 times

Advertisements

How would voting Republican benefit blacks?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 03:56 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And how has that worked out for the black community? that actually goes back to the 60's.....

MLK was a republican...as is his daughter and many others....
It hasn't worked out well at all.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
How would voting Republican benefit blacks?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
When was the last time they tried it? Blindly accepting one party as the party for them is a problem with advancement. The democrats have been counting on the black vote for a while not really producing anything for them as some might argue.

"Politics isn't just a game of clashing parties and competing interests. The right reason is to challenge the status quo, to serve the common good, and to leave this nation better than we found it.
No one expects us to agree on everything"

Old 09-05-2008, 05:46 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
So just because you believe that McCain is better than the alternative automatically makes you the authority on how everyone else shoud feel?

Maybe other people think that it's time to try a new guy out or maybe they feel that his platform is more in line with their beliefs than McCain.

Just because you feel that you are right doesn't mean that you are.
Um, did I say that I thought I was an authority on how other people should feel - no. I said it was my belief. Am I not entitled to my own opinion? Isn't that what these boards are all about?

And.... I may not always be right - but I am never wrong.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Um, did I say that I thought I was an authority on how other people should feel - no. I said it was my belief. Am I not entitled to my own opinion? Isn't that what these boards are all about?

And.... I may not always be right - but I am never wrong.
Oh of course you are entitled to your opinion. I am not discounting your opinion, but when it's framed in the reference of "they don't know better and i'm trying to educate them" I'm going to make a comment about it.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:12 PM

21 posts, read 34,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Lots of posts here throwing that term around, so I ask you all this........

96% of all black folks in America are planing to vote for Obama.

Around 45% of all white people plan to vote for Obama.

Clearly a minimum of 45% of all blacks are voting for Obama simply because he is black. There is no other way to explain it.

Ya, ya, I know you will all post about the social issues Obam supports that will benefit Black folks and yada, yada, yada, but trust me when I tell you there are many well to do black americans who are fiscally conservative and value traditional American values, yet they still intend to vote Obama!

I would sincerely have much greater respect for African Americans if the split was 60-40, or even 70-30, but 96-4 to me spells racism and nothing else!

Yah, I've been called "racist' because I'm not voting for Obama...B.S.! When 94% of black people are voting for him, it goes beyond the issues, in my opinion. It's o.k. for minorities to be racist here.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:18 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
You forgot to mention majority of the asians, hispanics, and other non-whites, folks with different religions, the moderate Christians, the non-religious, the young, gays, bis, folks of very varied different backgrounds, and income classes, also voted for democrats. See the picture here? The problem is not the voters, the problem is the republican party catering ONLY to old white rich extreme christian males.
Interesting side note again about the republicans only catering to males, Palin seems to increase republican male voters rather than their females.
Repost for the clueless.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:21 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Kerry, Gore and Clinton also got about 90% of the Black vote.

Next.

Yep. The Republican party also reinvented itself in 1968 with its "Southern Strategy" of positioning itself as the opponent of all the gains of the Civil Rights movement, and has held that position ever since. So it's not exactly surprising that black voters are not all that interested. Bush hired Powell and Rice and black voters still went for Kerry at a rate over 85% because they know the GOP is not their friend. Which is more than you can say for all the white working people who have gone Republican only to see their wages go nowhere for 35 years.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugin View Post
Yah, I've been called "racist' because I'm not voting for Obama...B.S.! When 94% of black people are voting for him, it goes beyond the issues, in my opinion. It's o.k. for minorities to be racist here.
LOL - it must be really easy to ignore facts

Old 09-05-2008, 06:44 PM

hmmm...interesting...now some of this is coming from Wikipedia so keem that in mindbut here are #s from recent history of the black vote:

1992 - 83% D 10% R
1996 - 84% D 12% R
2000 - 90% D 9% R
2004 - 88% D 11% R

Boy, there sure is a lot of racisim in those numbers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections