U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 PM
 
Location: East Central Phoenix
3,551 posts, read 4,671,907 times
Reputation: 3211

Advertisements

I took some time to watch both conventions, and quite frankly, I had a difficult time staying awake through both of them. However, in listening to the speeches of Obama and McCain, as well as those of Biden and Palin, I heard not one word about going after Bin Laden.

Hellooooo??? Anybody remember Bin Laden? He was responsible for the attacks on 9/11/01. It seems like there was great anticipation of capturing him after the attacks happened ... then we divered our military forces to Iraq (a nation not responsible for the 9/11 events). I recall hearing McCain speak briefly about Bin Laden a while ago ... but none of the candidates have spoken about him in their "wonderful" speeches.

So what kind of a message does this send to terrorists?! It tells me that we're not very serious about the war on terrorism when the most notorious terrorist in the world is allowed to roam freely. Makes me wonder if we eased up on him because of his wealth & oil connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2008, 02:04 PM
 
5,527 posts, read 6,132,070 times
Reputation: 1827
It's because they both know he has beaten the US at hide n seek. No point in making a promise they cannot keep. Why do you think the conventions have had nothing to do with the issues? Cannot be called a liar if you never say anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,578 posts, read 43,814,468 times
Reputation: 20284
McCain has definitely mentioned Osama while campaigning:


YouTube - McCain: "I will follow Osama bin Laden to the gates of hell"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 PM
 
5,527 posts, read 6,132,070 times
Reputation: 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
McCain has definitely mentioned Osama while campaigning:


YouTube - McCain: "I will follow Osama bin Laden to the gates of hell"
How long ago was that though? We are talking recently. They both just had their largest political forums there are going to have. How about the issues fellas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 PM
 
Location: East Central Phoenix
3,551 posts, read 4,671,907 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
It's because they both know he has beaten the US at hide n seek. No point in making a promise they cannot keep. Why do you think the conventions have had nothing to do with the issues? Cannot be called a liar if you never say anything.
We have the most technically advanced military of any other nation ... and we were certainly able to capture Saddam Hussein (which I was proud that we did). However, if we could beat Saddam at his "hide and seek" game, there's no reason why we can't find and capture Bin Laden. The fact is, we're not TRYING hard enough.

Bin Laden was responsible for the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the U.S., when hijacked planes were used to kill thousands of innocent people in the WTC and Pentagon. The plane which crashed in Pennsylvania was intended for attacks on either the White House or Capitol. Bush suddendly took a lax attitude toward Bin Laden during his term ... but I wrote him off as an ineffective leader a long time ago. It's absolutely pathetic that none of the candidates spoke about Bin Laden, or what we're going to do to capture him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 02:14 PM
 
10 posts, read 34,334 times
Reputation: 15
Default Please read about Obama - Radicals

Today in Investor's Business Daily stock analysis and business news (http://www.investors.com/editorial/editorialcontent.asp?secid=1501&status=article&id= 305420655186700 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 02:15 PM
 
8,899 posts, read 7,442,786 times
Reputation: 7341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I took some time to watch both conventions, and quite frankly, I had a difficult time staying awake through both of them. However, in listening to the speeches of Obama and McCain, as well as those of Biden and Palin, I heard not one word about going after Bin Laden.

Hellooooo??? Anybody remember Bin Laden? He was responsible for the attacks on 9/11/01. It seems like there was great anticipation of capturing him after the attacks happened ... then we divered our military forces to Iraq (a nation not responsible for the 9/11 events). I recall hearing McCain speak briefly about Bin Laden a while ago ... but none of the candidates have spoken about him in their "wonderful" speeches.

So what kind of a message does this send to terrorists?! It tells me that we're not very serious about the war on terrorism when the most notorious terrorist in the world is allowed to roam freely. Makes me wonder if we eased up on him because of his wealth & oil connections.
Sometimes I wonder if you guys are listening at all. Because after Palin's speech you were saying WHAT ABOUT THE ISSUES? And she had ADDRESSED the very issues you were asking about.

And now this post. I remember McCain saying a few weeks ago IF I HAVE TO FOLLOW HIM TO THE GATES OF HELL, I WILL GET BIN LADEN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 02:16 PM
 
5,527 posts, read 6,132,070 times
Reputation: 1827
It's because they have no idea what to do, where to look or even how to look. THey also realize that no matter what we think and do, the people of that area will choose Bin Laden over the US any day no matter how much we think we are helping them by "freeing" them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 02:17 PM
 
5,527 posts, read 6,132,070 times
Reputation: 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Sometimes I wonder if you guys are listening at all. Because after Palin's speech you were saying WHAT ABOUT THE ISSUES? And she had ADDRESSED the very issues you were asking about.

And now this post. I remember McCain saying a few weeks ago IF I HAVE TO FOLLOW HIM TO THE GATES OF HELL, I WILL GET BIN LADEN.
Which issues? Other than saying "we will change this" how is that addressing an issue.

"I am going to invent a time machine". Does that make me an inventor or even capable of inventing one because I said I was going to, not how I was going to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 02:21 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 1,688,447 times
Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I took some time to watch both conventions, and quite frankly, I had a difficult time staying awake through both of them. However, in listening to the speeches of Obama and McCain, as well as those of Biden and Palin, I heard not one word about going after Bin Laden.

Hellooooo??? Anybody remember Bin Laden? He was responsible for the attacks on 9/11/01. It seems like there was great anticipation of capturing him after the attacks happened ... then we divered our military forces to Iraq (a nation not responsible for the 9/11 events). I recall hearing McCain speak briefly about Bin Laden a while ago ... but none of the candidates have spoken about him in their "wonderful" speeches.

So what kind of a message does this send to terrorists?! It tells me that we're not very serious about the war on terrorism when the most notorious terrorist in the world is allowed to roam freely. Makes me wonder if we eased up on him because of his wealth & oil connections.
You must have missed it...this is from Obama's speech from the DNC:

When John McCain said we could just "muddle through" in Afghanistan, I argued for more resources and more troops to finish the fight against the terrorists who actually attacked us on 9/11, and made clear that we must take out Osama bin Laden and his lieutenants if we have them in our sights. John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell - but he won't even go to the cave where he lives.

Barack Obama Democratic Convention Speech (VIDEO) (TEXT)

I didn't see McCain's whole speech, but from what I am hearing he mentioned it too.

That'll teach you to fall asleep during a convention

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top