Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:38 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
I gotta say, this is totally and completely how the article struck me.

Before this recent flare up, I never knew the word "uppity" was viewed with any racial connotation whatsoever. I've always heard it as a class distinction hurled mainly at upper-class white people and their "uppity" ways that are different from people in the lower and middle classes. Such as driving an "uppity BMW or Sportscar," or living in the "uppity neighborhood with businessmen, lawyers, and doctors."

Perhaps a lot of this also depends on where you live and I've just never heard of it or thought of it in that context. And perhaps in some areas the word does have a historical racial context. All I'm saying, is I'm sure there are a lot of places in America where the word "uppity" is used all the time without any racial connotation whatsoever and this entire discussion seems like a silly, waste of time to many people.

I agree with this accuracy. Is how I always heard the word used, to disparage a "class" not a "race". But, per usual, it seems the race card is played out in every thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 09:39 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Well, aren't you just a little Sherlock?
....at least you didn't call me a Shylock! Not like there's anything wrong with THAT, it's just a word!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
You must be referring to Jesse Jackson, caught on tape saying he'd like to cut Obama's nuts off "cause he's talkin' down to black folks." And this, because Obama urged fathers to pay more attention to their children!

Obama has many redeeming features. I wish he weren't a leftist.

Obama is likable and does have some good qualities. Maybe if he had married better......

Old 09-07-2008, 09:51 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Obama is likable and does have some good qualities. Maybe if he had married better......
Maybe his second wife could be better...like an heiress?

Old 09-07-2008, 10:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Uppity is racist? How silly. People can be offended over the strangest things.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:11 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
Yikes!! Uppity??? Well yes, many politicians are uppity. But should we give this a free ride?? I mean let's be consistent with our outrage ...eh??

YouTube - Jimmy Carter Calls Barack Obama A "Black Boy"

"black boy"....damn!

Go figure....Look at Bidens comments towards him...

When was the last racially motivated sentence McCain used towards Obama?

Old 09-07-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Wow that's what white supremacists back in the civil rights days called black people with an education......that could be taken as a racist remark.

Never heard that before used as a racial term but heck I'm not really all that old. I have never even heard that I recall the word uppity being used...

By the way back in the civil rights days they called the people holding black people's liberation back democrats for whatever it's worth.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Maybe his second wife could be better...like an heiress?

An heiress beats an albatross any day.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
This is simply not true. In talking about how much Senator Obama has achieved through hard work and determination, President Carter stated that it was wonderful what a little black boy growing up in a home where he was raised by a single mother and without much money had achieved all he had. HE WAS TALKING ABOUT WHEN OBAMA WAS A LITTLE BOY NOT CALLING HIM A BOY NOW. Get your story straight.

“the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.” Biden’s insensitive remarks were roundly criticized, and he has since apologized. The Chicago Tribune explained:"

Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Since we have the old war going on between the old money of Cindy McCain, heiress, and the new money of the Obama's, earned, I have to assume that inheritance is viewed more favorably by the Republicans. The fact that Sen Biden did not spend his life using his position to gather personal wealth as a member of the Senate, but rather stayed independent, is a source of derision, but the fact that McCain married money and used his wife's connections to become a Senator is somehow a role model, boggles my mind.

Only a liberal would claim the wealth someone has wasn't earned....If we were talking lottery okay....We are talking an entire mans life dedicated to a vision and through that he achieved great success. But let me guess when he died it should have just been spread out through all the low income areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections