Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times

Advertisements

Hopefully, now that the conventions are over, both partys will get down to discussing specific issues and how they are going to respond to them in detail instead of slamming each other with the same old words.
I am anxious to hear the debates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 06:25 AM

116 posts, read 265,792 times
Thumbs up Thank you sooooo much everyone.

This is awesome. We are discussing issues without insulting candidates or each other. This is how it should be done. We all want the best for our country. No one wants to hurt it.I think everyone has made good points so far.

I like Obama for the following reasons:
  • He is a great communicator. He is very motivating. This is a key quality when being President. Whatever is happening in the country, the President needs to be able to communicate to and inspire people. Ronald Regan and Bill Clinton did a good job with this. George Bush does a poor job with this.
  • Whenever the country is facing tough times, we tend to vote out the current party. We always vote for change. It's what we do....right or wrong. The country is so divided now, that it may be a good idea to let a Democrat have the Whitehouse so that the people on the left can calm down a bit and bring the country back together.
  • He has mentioned that he wants to raise taxes on businesses that send jobs out of the country and lower them for businesses than bring jobs here. This policy is proven to work, as this is what we do in Research Triangle Park in NC. We basically bribe companies to come here, which creates jobs and grows the economy
I like McCain for the following reasons:
  • There is no doubt in my mind that he loves the country and will always do what is best for it
  • He has a proven track record of working with both sides of the isle and has no problem disagreeing with his own party
  • He is much more knowledgeable about foreign affairs.
I don't care for Obama because:
  • I am against government run......just about anything
  • His past relationships are a bit sketchy. I find myself having to make excuses for him too much
  • I am very concerned if he is his own man or if the party members are moving the puppet strings
  • I 100% support the rights of unborn babies
I don't care for McCain because:
  • He is a very poor speaker. I really cannot take another uninspiring President. We need someone to get out more often and inspire people.
  • I am against some of his policies of the past such as granting illegals citizenship rather than just giving them working visas. I am all for immigrants coming here to work, as we need them, but I just can't understand why we don't grant them working visas and tax their income and they can get in line with everyone else to become a citizen.
In the end, I think that either of these candidates will be an vast improvement over what we have now. I have all the respect in the world for President Bush. I think he is a fine man who is doing what he thinks is best for his country. I just think he is wrong on many issues and is a poor communicator. I think he has gotten so wrapped up in Iraq, that he is not paying attention to other pressing issues. I am hoping that the final debates will allow me to make a clear and correct choice for our future.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:20 AM

835 posts, read 1,322,209 times
You most likely will not know much about their cabinet choices until close to the vote. Releasing names in the hopes of winning...ya know politics.

McCain was not my first choice but I do believe he is the Republicans best choice at election at this time. I like Bush he has done a great job (80% rating among Republicans) had it not been for his tax cuts our economy would not have grown at 3.3% last quarter the highest of any industrialized nation. He is however not a fiscal conservative...he lowers taxes but doesn't control spending. You must do both and I believe McCain will. He has worked many times with dems and I don't think he will get the fight that Bush has...I may just be optimistic here.
Obama cannot reward companies that stay in the US and bring jobs because there will be none. SBO's account for 75% of the job growth over the last 5-10 years and taxing them over 50% will force them to leave or close shop. Obama's tax plan will raise taxes on SBO's (C-corp. & LLC) to 52-58% on S-corp. it will be above 60%. When you add the additional corp. tax Obama will add with the increase in SS and the increase in Medicare/caid you are over 50%. Why would anyone worked for less than half? The US has the second highest corp. taxes in the world and this is what forces business and investors away, and Obama wants to raise them more. The goal of any business is to earn a profit. Obama wants to raise the corp. tax...not lower it. McCain wants to lower corp. taxes from 38% to 25%. Not only is that a 13% increase to every company’s bottom line it will bring investors and new business...hence new jobs and growth in the economy. In Texas we are very competitive with NC about getting jobs. We offer tax breaks and Ag. rates for having cattle on your property the reason so many businesses are coming to Texas & NC, but just as many and more are heading to Asia, India and places abroad.
I own my business and have for 6 years...I am very successful as I left a director level position with an 11.6 billion dollar company because I couldn't afford my wife the luxury of staying home with our three sons...now I can. My employees are compensated well and since I am small and set my own rules they get paid for any time they take off. I've found they don't take much off at all as they are loyal to me and me to them. This is what lower taxes on corporations and limited government involvement can foster. McCain/Palin 2008 is my choice.
Quote:
For the 17th consecutive year, the average rate of corporate taxes in non-U.S. countries fell while the U.S. corporate tax rate stayed the same. As a result, the overall U.S. corporate tax rate is now 50 percent higher than the OECD average. The United States continues to have the second-highest combined federal-state corporate tax rate among industrialized countries at 39.3 percent.
Quote:
Nearly all major nations allow full or partial relief of dividend double taxation, and thus have much lower dividend tax rates than does the United States. Indeed, new data shows that the United States has the second highest top dividend tax rate in the 30-nation Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. High dividend tax rates reduce economic growth by creating numerous distortions. First, high dividend taxes add to the income tax code’s general bias against savings and investment. Second, high dividend taxes cause corporations to rely too much on debt rather than equity financing because interest is deductible against the corporate income tax but dividends are not. Highly indebted firms are more vulnerable to bankruptcy in economic downturns.
HOW TELLING THIS WAS!

U.S. Corporate Taxes: Still Second-Highest on Planet Earth - Capital Commerce (usnews.com)
http://www.cato.org/pubs/tbb/tbb-0301-12.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections