Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I like Jamie Lee, but there are things I don't relate to her as well. She may have had the struggles in life to which are self inflictive and so forth, but she also does not sway me with her opinion of whether someone can answer the phone, the questions or whatnot at 3am. I'm up at 3am and whether my phone rings and I know the answer off the top of my head, depends on what the issues are. I may have to wait and get a second opinion or to consult with someone above me. This is what the President has to do, consult with whomever is the expert at the time of whatever is in question. I think we Americans think that the President makes the sole decisions, when in fact, they have to consult with Military Officials on military issues, Financial Consultants on financial issues and so forth. Congress ... well, I'm a bit disappointed in the majority of the Democratic Congress and Speaker with what they say they are going to do and what they actually do. It's not a solo job for the President, if that's what we think it is.
So in other words, the girl who works at the video store could be president, it doesnt matter because she would have advisors? Well, that certainly levels the playing field.

It's all right with you if the President is a know-nothing figurehead, manipulated by wiser and more powerful minds who do know something about running a country and representing American (or corporate, or ideological) interests.... hmmm, sounds familiar...as long as their image projected during their campaign appeals to you.

That seems irresponsible, somehow. Dont you believe it's time to look past the distracting cartoons that are being danced before your eyes, pay attention to the actual issues, and seriously evaluate which team will actually lead this country forward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Dont you believe it's time to look past the distracting cartoons that are being danced before your eyes, pay attention to the actual issues, and seriously evaluate which team will actually lead this country forward?
Oh, if you only would do what you ask, yourself, delu!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:59 AM

645 posts, read 909,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
A unique perspective, very well-said:

Jamie Lee Curtis: Debate Not Relate
Thanks for the link.

I hope Americans realize that it is very important to look at the choice for #2 that McCain made, since he is:
72 years old, and has had cancer no less than 4 times.
Did he choose the best person to be able to step into the job with a blink of an eye? Or whose his choice political? If it was the best choice for America then why doesn't he let her talk to the press? Will she become qualified in the next 2 months? I don't think his base realizes that they are being hood-winked.

You may find the following perspective interesting as well:

Palin: wrong woman, wrong message - Los Angeles Times

Old 09-06-2008, 08:13 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Both very good articles. The Gloria Steinem article really lays out what so many of us already think and know, but can't articulate.

My prediction: In the end, we won't be fooled. Once she starts to answer those questions, she's going to stumble. And there are already too many "fishy" things that need to be explained by her. And by keeping her in a bubble isn't going to do anything. They are just prolonging the inevidable, and that's good for us because then all her blunders will be fresh in memory come November.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:25 AM

Default "What is it exactly that the VP does every day?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post
Thanks for the link.

I hope Americans realize that it is very important to look at the choice for #2 that McCain made, since he is:
72 years old, and has had cancer no less than 4 times.
Did he choose the best person to be able to step into the job with a blink of an eye? Or whose his choice political? If it was the best choice for America then why doesn't he let her talk to the press? Will she become qualified in the next 2 months? I don't think his base realizes that they are being hood-winked.

You may find the following perspective interesting as well:

Palin: wrong woman, wrong message - Los Angeles Times
They did it with Dan Quayle - this is the same thing. It's still working and will continue to work because the political analysts have this target audience absolutely sussed. And why wouldnt they? They've been watching them, listening to them, measuring them and playing them successfully for years and years.

Your sentence I bolded - I cant imagine they realize because they dont want to. It's a brilliant game plan. There's a terrific book, Nixonland, that follows the history of the recognition of right wing rage and the development of its manipulation.

Thanks for the link. "Palin has been honest about what she doesn't know. When asked last month about the vice presidency, she said, "I still can't answer that question until someone answers for me: What is it exactly that the VP does every day?" When asked about Iraq, she said, "I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq."

If that doesnt prove these people dont care about their country, what does? Brilliant play on the part of the Rovians.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:28 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
A unique perspective, very well-said:

Jamie Lee Curtis: Debate Not Relate
Thanks, I always get my political analysis from those astute, show biz types.

I especially love the part in which she says Sarah Palin can't debate the Dems, before it even happens.

Jamie Lee, don't project your own shortcomings onto Sarah Palin.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
While I didn't even hit the link, I never care what hollywood says as they don't live in the real world.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks, I always get my political analysis from those astute, show biz types.

I especially love the part in which she says Sarah Palin can't debate the Dems, before it even happens.

Jamie Lee, don't project your own shortcomings onto Sarah Palin.
Um, her counterpart has 37 years of experience as a Senator...?

In her quite down to earth comment, Jamie Lee said she herself wouldnt last a minute in a debate with Obama or Biden. Neither will this Danielle Quayle, who's in way over her head, even if they train her for the debates 24 hours a day.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:52 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
While I didn't even hit the link, I never care what hollywood says as they don't live in the real world.
Sigh.
Unless it's Chuck Norris, Arnold Schwatzenegger, Ronald Reagan....that Hollywood is ok.
Right?
Hypocrites.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:54 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Sigh.
Unless it's Chuck Norris, Arnold Schwatzenegger, Ronald Reagan....that Hollywood is ok.
Right?
Hypocrites.
Did you not read what I said....I said HOLLYWOOD....period.

So typical of the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections