Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:31 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
As long as it's the same information, what's it matter?

It matters because the information posted in the other link was from a wiki source the author quoted that went to an article at the Congressional Budget Office that was over 11 years old. Wouldn't it be better to analyze relevant data? Or did you click the link?

Perhaps it would be worth noting that the Dept of Housing and Urban Development was charged with regulating the GSE's. Do you think the recent turn of events will stabilize the current status?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 02:31 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Link please?
Link? You need a link? Search google. I know one time for sure he forgot where he was, because he was in my city. It was during the DNC and on national TV, he told everyone he was in St. Louis. Wrong. Made me think he didn't really know or care or think it matter where he was. He seems flabbergasted much of the time. I'm not sure he could handle a national emergency.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:32 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
So every economist talked to said she got it wrong, but you know better?

Talk about following blindly.
Not every economist by a long shot are quoted in the link. The issue is without political affiliation and requires strategic work across party lines.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:32 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
yawn. As pathetic an attempt to associate Palin with a gaffe as this is (the statement is actually correct in that the gov't is going to be backing loans) it's actually a step up from the typical lameness. If she actually gets the number of US states wrong, as did Obama, wake me.
And there went my respect for you, unless you can somehow convince me that you're not serious. I know you don't care, but still...bleating partisan sheep are a good part of why this country's entire political system has become a farce.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:36 PM

There are varying explanations that could be offered for Palin's defense. As O'Driscoll noted, both Fannie and Freddie "were hybrid institutions because they had private ownership but... an implicit government guarantee which people thought at the end of the day was explicit." Meanwhile, as Baker noted, as of July the two lenders were being offered low market interest rates by the fed again, theoretically, at the taxpayer's expense. But, he added, "I kind of doubt she had any sense of that."

The above is also from the OP link and as noted the article is from Huffington.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:37 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not every economist by a long shot are quoted in the link. The issue is without political affiliation and requires strategic work across party lines.
They quoted economist from both sides and all said it was incorrect. I said all "talked to" not "all". Did you even read the article? You will only agree if they talk to "all" economist?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
The OFHEO 2008 Annual Report to Congress (http://www.ofheo.gov/media/annualreports/ReporttoCongress2008.pdf - broken link) states that Freddie had sold $1,381.9 billion in MBS and Fannie $2,118.9 billion. If you add together the mortgages retained outright by Fannie and Freddie (either as whole loans or MBS) plus the MBS (Mortgage Backed Securities) that they have sold to others and offer a guarantee for payment, the OFHEO calculates a total "book of business" for the two enterprises of $4,934.4 billion as of the end of 2007, slightly less than the total publicly held debt of the U.S. government (http://www.cbo.gov/budget/data/historical.pdf - broken link). Fannie and Freddie's combined stockholders' equity amounts to 1.4% of their total book of business.

The GSE's held no specific guarantee, but were considered too large to fail by many, while others have stated the bailout is unfair to those who aren't homeowners since all taxpayers will pay.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:44 PM

CEPR

For a background perspective on the organization the quoted economic is part of.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:48 PM

CEPR - 2008 Elections

Find enclosed a list of articles from CEPR to help judge their objectivity on this topic.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:50 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,142 times
LOL..............HOW DARE PEOPLE ATTACK SARAH PALIN! She sponsored a MINIMUM of 20 bake sales while she was in the PTA, and she knows a thing or two about economics, thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections