Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Personal responcibility. What a concept.On one hand you have those who feel the legal age should be lowered to 13 as it is in Canada. A 13 year old in charge of her life decisions? Teens getting pregnant. It happens regardless of what kind of family they came from. Teenagers just struggle with waiting and abstaining. I don't forget when I was a teenager. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to score. LOL ending in failure until I was 18. I refuse to judge a girl who gets pregnant young. I will however judge a society that condones promiscuous behavior or prevents parents of young teen daughters from being notified about any medical procedure, request for birth control, or requests for abortions. Parents always have a right to know, to be a part of the decision making. I don't want Mrs. Jones school nurse or guidence counciler making decisions around my child for me. I certainly don't want the gov preventing me from being the father or head of house hold in my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 03:44 PM

835 posts, read 1,322,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I am glad you are relatively safe. Flooding and tornadoes and even high winds can be destructive, so I will be watching the weather channel closely this weekend and thinking of you and the many others affected by this horrible storm.

I did read your posting and link, but it really didn't address my concerns about limiting poor women's rights. I realize that you and I are at cross-purposes, but women living in poverty already have so many challenges, this to me is just another burden. Even if people individually make bad choices, it's simply a fact of life that there will always be people who are poor because resources are not unlimited. Americans are the wealthiest people in the world, we consume resources at an unprecedented rate. Yet there are still people who don't have insurance, who don't have dependable transportation, who pay more for goods and services simply because they are poor and get fewer choices on where to shop or fewer opportunities to negotiate better terms for services. It pains me that these people don't get a voice, that they are often disenfranchised from the political process, and that they get blamed for not taking advantage of opportunities to better themselves when they may not have been aware of the available opportunities or may have actually been denied access to those opportunities. To you this may seem like playing victim all the time, but just like sometimes a paranoid person has good reason to be paranoid, sometimes a victim has good reason to feel victimized.

Victims felling victimized is legitimate. I don't feel sorry for those that are not willing to help themselves and use excuses to push the blame to others when the blame lies with them in most cases. I found myself 4.5 years ago in a similar situation. I was laid off and my wife was pregnant with our second. He was born early and she and I ended up sharing the same last day of work. She had to give up her career to care for him. His medical bills where well over 100,000 (20% would be our portion) and we had to eat thru our savings to pay for his hospital bill plus the extra bills once he was released from the NICU. I started my own company and in the beginning we thought we might lose everything. We never took a hand out not even unemployment and after many years of hard work my wife is able to continue to stay home, we have tripled our savings; our children's college education is 50% paid for and the oldest is only 6. I will be able to retire early although not for the next 7-10 years but before I hit 50. To think that 4.5 years ago we were behind on our payments for the house, car and our credit cards were maxed...we never accepted a handout and we struggled and now I am the one that pays over 45% of my income to the United States Treasury so that others may feed off of my success while they do nothing but become bottom feeders. I put myself through college no one paid my way and I have worked hard to achieve my life and success and I am tired of the moochers. I understand that times get hard for everyone and some may need a handout, but not a lifetime of mooching or breeding a generational start of new moochers. They have a choice...that choice should be made before they have unprotected sex. I used to be pro-choice...then I had children...I now have a very difficult time being pro-choice, but I can't fully support pro-life either. I've said it before teaching birth control methods, abstinence, and self-respect to our daughters so that they will not succumb to the pressure of being a sexual object is the best way to end abortions. As tinman01 said teenage boys are always looking to score and think about little else...that was me in highschool...it is up to the girls to have the self-respect to hold us at bay. It is up to boys to learn to back off and cover it the first time all the time.

Last edited by artifice; 09-12-2008 at 04:33 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Artifice, I also put myself through college and work hard. I've never taken a hand-out, heck, the only thing I've ever won was a plastic turkey platter in a Kiwanis club raffle. I don't even know where that turkey platter is, probably sold it in a garage sale. But as someone who knows what it's like to wake up in the middle of the night with a rapist covering her mouth, I will always be pro-choice. I love children, but I cannot sanction forcing a woman who's been brutally raped to carry the child of her abuser inside her for 9 1/2 months. That said, women who choose to end pregnancies for reasons other than rape have reasons that are no less important to them. I don't stand in judgment of other women for having to make this choice. I know that it is terrible to be faced with the choice, but it is also terrible not to have the choice.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:44 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
That's her own PERSONAL belief. She has never interjected that belief into how she governed Alaska.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
It really doesn't matter what her opinion is. That decision is not up to Ms. Palin... even if she's the VP.

The laws that govern that choice is decided by the Supreme Court judges who answer to no one but the Constitution of the United States.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
It really doesn't matter what her opinion is. That decision is not up to Ms. Palin... even if she's the VP.

The laws that govern that choice is decided by the Supreme Court judges who answer to no one but the Constitution of the United States.
But, let's say she becomes President, and appoints judges who are conservative like her. She said (in that Charlie Gibson interview) that she wants to get rid of Roe vs. Wade. She'll do it if she can.

In fact, just in general, either McCain or Palin could be appointing conservative judges who are against women's right to choose what to do with their OWN bodies (for goodness sakes)! Next thing you know, men will be required to be sterilized or something - harkens back to the Nazis.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Didn't her daughter choose?
I doubt it. She probably had no choice if her mother had anything to do with it. I doubt that she had a choice to get an abortion.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:54 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
In that case, it will revert back to the individual states, which is where it actually belongs.

Roe was bad law, plain and simple. There is nothing in the constitution that gives that right, the justices just pulled a POLITICAL ruling straight out of their butts.

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Default Palin is SCARY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
but, let's say she becomes president, and appoints judges who are conservative like her. She said (in that charlie gibson interview) that she wants to get rid of roe vs. Wade. She'll do it if she can.

In fact, just in general, either mccain or palin could be appointing conservative judges who are against women's right to choose what to do with their own bodies (for goodness sakes)! Next thing you know, men will be required to be sterilized or something - harkens back to the nazis.

so true!!!

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Interesting. The same people who want to worry about what Palin _might_ do (btw, it is conceivable to hold a view and not make any move towards imposing it on others) are the same ones who are generally against the war in Iraq...b/c it was largely pre-emptive and therefore unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections