Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,043,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
I'm not totally convinced that McCain's platform has changed as dramatically over 2000 to 2008, as much as his talking points have changed. There are definitely some leanings to the right such as opposing the Bush tax cuts, and now wanting to keep them so as not to essentially raise taxes. But if you examine a number of issues more closely such as abortion. McCain has in 2008 stated he is pro-life over and over, but still opposes a constitutional amendment to ban abortions, and believes it is acceptable in rape and incest occurrences. So his talking points have changed on many issues, but I still believe when you compare McCain and Bush, you are talking about a Fiscal conservative, social moderate in McCain, and a Fiscal liberal who has greatly increased spending, and a social conservative in Bush.
IF McCain gets elected I hope you are correct. I don't agree with the assertion that Bush is a fiscal conservative though that just applies the right policy at the wrong time. I think he has a very simplist view of the economy (among other things) and he truly believes that the only thing he can and should do is lower taxes. He clearly has no problems with big governement and big spending.

Do you have any concerns about McCain's selection of Palin who is obliviously much farther to the right on social issues than he is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
However both of these guys will not and I guarantee with a months salary, cut spending in any meaningful manner.
This is my biggest economic fear by far.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There are few to none. I guess Bush is for torture and McCain is against it but other than that, I know of none!
That's another valid one - and may be the most important one depending on what a McCain campaign might actually do about climate change policy.

So it looks like we have so far as policy differences between Bush & McCain (of course no guarantees as with any candidate)
- McCain supports spending cuts much more strongly
- Against torture (I believe this)
- Is willing to acknowledge climate change

I don't know if there is enough evidence to suggest enough policy differences on
- Energy policy
- Foreign policy

Simplistic? Yes, but just trying to summarize. Am I missing anything?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
IF McCain gets elected I hope you are correct. I don't agree with the assertion that Bush is a fiscal conservative though that just applies the right policy at the wrong time. I think he has a very simplist view of the economy (among other things) and he truly believes that the only thing he can and should do is lower taxes. He clearly has no problems with big governement and big spending.
Very good point. Bush is far from a fiscal conservative I agree, it was McCain who I was referring to as, IMO, being much more fiscally conservative than Bush. IMO, a good economist should realize that there are multiple approaches to the economy and a circumstance for each. Bush was so bad because he either had a gross misunderstanding of the economy and only knew how to lower taxes, or it was even worse and he knew what he was doing, which is lining the pockets of corporations with inflated profits for the rich, only to drive the economy Trillions of dollars in debt, and now needing those tax breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
Do you have any concerns about McCain's selection of Palin who is obliviously much farther to the right on social issues than he is?
Palin does stand for everything that I'm against in the Republican party and is far too inexperienced to maybe become a President in the next 4 years. I'm in many respects more socially liberal though. It's truly a shame that there are millions of Americans like myself that want smaller government, less spending, but are more socially liberal but fits neither of the major political parties. Though I'm currently posting for McCain, I voted previously for Kerry and Gore and wouldn't consider voting for somebody so socially conservative which Bush also seemed to be. Though I can also understand why he did it. Romney is a hack. Huckabee isn't a tax-cutter for smaller government. Ridge would have alienated social conservatives. It's sort of a trade-off with the far right wing of the Republican party that he needs to win. I cannot defend Gov. Palin. She seems like a great person and I admire her religious and conservative principles though I don't agree with them. I also don't think the pick really had anything to do with her being a female. But for me, the top of the ticket is more important, and I also have serious reservations regarding the experience of Obama who is at the top of the ticket.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
One thing I haven't heard much about was his views on education. This is a foundational issue for me as I believe it to be the cornerstone of a healthy democratic society.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to matter much what the party is, it is a topic that is talked about, but little is ever done.

I do not believe the no child left behind gig is working and I have no idea what McCain's position is, but I would like to hear it even if nothing is ever done about it.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:46 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There are few to none. I guess Bush is for torture and McCain is against it but other than that, I know of none!
McCain is for what I consider torture.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
One thing I haven't heard much about was his views on education. This is a foundational issue for me as I believe it to be the cornerstone of a healthy democratic society.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to matter much what the party is, it is a topic that is talked about, but little is ever done.

I do not believe the no child left behind gig is working and I have no idea what McCain's position is, but I would like to hear it even if nothing is ever done about it.
All I have heard about this is what he said in his acceptance speech which was basically to hold teachers accountable. His stance on education sounded almost identical to what Bush campaigned on in 2000.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:

Mostly based upon choice and competition. Of specific interest to me was the expansion proposed for the education process itself. I'm a big supporter of alternative learning processes being made available for students:

John McCain Supports Expanding Virtual Learning By Reforming The "Enhancing Education Through Technology Program." John McCain will target $500 million in current federal funds to build new virtual schools and support the development of online course offerings for students. These courses may be for regular coursework, for enhancement, or for dual enrollment into college.

Allocate $250 Million Through A Competitive Grant Program To Support States That Commit To Expanding Online Education Opportunities. States can use these funds to build virtual math and science academies to help expand the availability of AP Math, Science, and Computer Sciences courses, online tutoring support for students in traditional schools, and foreign language courses.

Offer $250 Million For Digital Passport Scholarships To Help Students Pay For Online Tutors Or Enroll In Virtual Schools. Low-income students will be eligible to receive up to $4,000 to enroll in an online course, SAT/ACT prep course, credit recovery or tutoring services offered by a virtual provider. Providers could range from other public schools, virtual charter schools, home school parents utilizing virtual schooling resources or district or state sponsored virtual schools.

JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/News/PressReleases/read.aspx?guid=2ca6f926-4564-4301-87cd-a5f35e68c0d4 - broken link)

Old 09-08-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
McCain is for what I consider torture.
Really?? I haven't seen that at all. Am I missing something?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
There are many issues where the policies of McCain and Bush differ.
For example, most of what the Obama campaign has focused in the past few days has been trying to assimilate McCain into the next Bush on Economic policy.

Bush's Economic policy: Tax cuts across the board, increased government spending with uncontrolled earmarks. It's also very important to note that Bush tookover in a decent economic environment which is traditionally a time when government should balance the budget and prepare for the next economic downturn (which is inevitable in Capitalism). Bush had the wrong strategy for the time with no fiscal restraint. In many respects he was quite liberal in spending, which is far more similar to Obama than McCain.

McCain's Economic policy: Tax cuts across the board, decreased government spending with an automatic denial of any bill with an earmark that needlessly increases government spending. It's essentially far more conservative position meant to decrease government spending. It's also important to note that in this time period where the economy is growing very slow or even shrinking, that now is the time where tax cuts are needed to spur economic growth.

So when I look at economic policy and the positions of McCain, Obama, and Bush. Those for increased spending and a larger federal government are Bush and Obama. Those for tax cuts and decreased tax revenue are McCain and Bush.

That's why Bush's economic policy was such a flop, it was the wrong strategy following the 1990s and it was incompatible in spending vs. taxation. You can't increase spending like Obama wants to do without increasing taxes. But it's also why McCain's policy is the best policy to move forward, by decreasing taxes to once again spur on the economy, while raising taxes with our current economic condition could have a similar result to the Carter administration.

There are many, many other issues where they also differ when you look at the policies. It's just a failing argument to try to equate Bush to McCain with the sheer number of disagreements they have had over the past few years, and compare McCain's plans to what Bush had done.
What is he going to cut specifically? Money for roads and bridges, money for the military, military equipment contracts, the mandated programs of no child left behind, the commerce department budget, the intelligence budget, what? Just saying you are going to cut something, someday, with a Democratic congress, is not a plan. The taxes are cut and here we are with jobs disappearing, retirements disappearing, major companies filing bankruptcy, the airline industry in a mess, housing in a mess. Seems to me it is just the same old rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections