Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:54 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times

Advertisements

The real question is, what's Obama going to do different, except inevitably raise taxes?
Obama and Bush... both big spenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:58 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
One thing I haven't heard much about was his views on education. This is a foundational issue for me as I believe it to be the cornerstone of a healthy democratic society.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to matter much what the party is, it is a topic that is talked about, but little is ever done.

I do not believe the no child left behind gig is working and I have no idea what McCain's position is, but I would like to hear it even if nothing is ever done about it.
My perception is that he believes charter schools and vouchers are the way to go.
I don't recall hearing what his specific position on public schools is. I do believe Obama would be dedicated to improving public schools and paying teachers on the merit system (not sure how the teacher's union feels about that) and, coming from a family of dedicated teachers, I have always believed this approach made perfect sense. The No-Child left behind program is obviously not working as America's school children lag far behind their contempories in other industrialized countries..

BTW - This is by far the most highminded and articulate thread I've read since I discovered this site.. Way to go...

Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Mostly based upon choice and competition. Of specific interest to me was the expansion proposed for the education process itself. I'm a big supporter of alternative learning processes being made available for students:
I am of the opinion that ANY education or additional education is a good thing and this is a good thing. Although I know from personal experience that I "learn better" in a class room environment, but there are many classes that I took online as I knew they were material/memory oriented as opposed to lab and practical.

I would love to see more effort put into k-12 and most notably in the high schools. There are some things I consider basic and should be taught to every single American, such as critical thinking, logical argument, scientific method, and civics. (although I think this is rolled into social studies now)

Additionally there seems to be a need to place students who wish to continue on into college and those who intend to enter into the workforce, into classes more befitting these choices.

In any event, I'm getting off topic and will have to go and infract myself again. But kudo's to McCain for taking an initiative in combining technology with learning, this is a good thing.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:00 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
Really?? I haven't seen that at all. Am I missing something?
Well first of all it was a bit of humor, gallows humor.
Secondly, when the Senate voted to ban waterboarding and other harsh measures, McCain voted against the bill saying the practices were required for getting intelligence. Torture is torture, no matter why you are applying it.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:02 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,043,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
Very good point. Bush is far from a fiscal conservative I agree, it was McCain who I was referring to as, IMO, being much more fiscally conservative than Bush. IMO, a good economist should realize that there are multiple approaches to the economy and a circumstance for each. Bush was so bad because he either had a gross misunderstanding of the economy and only knew how to lower taxes, or it was even worse and he knew what he was doing, which is lining the pockets of corporations with inflated profits for the rich, only to drive the economy Trillions of dollars in debt, and now needing those tax breaks.

Palin does stand for everything that I'm against in the Republican party and is far too inexperienced to maybe become a President in the next 4 years. I'm in many respects more socially liberal though. It's truly a shame that there are millions of Americans like myself that want smaller government, less spending, but are more socially liberal but fits neither of the major political parties. Though I'm currently posting for McCain, I voted previously for Kerry and Gore and wouldn't consider voting for somebody so socially conservative which Bush also seemed to be. Though I can also understand why he did it. Romney is a hack. Huckabee isn't a tax-cutter for smaller government. Ridge would have alienated social conservatives. It's sort of a trade-off with the far right wing of the Republican party that he needs to win. I cannot defend Gov. Palin. She seems like a great person and I admire her religious and conservative principles though I don't agree with them. I also don't think the pick really had anything to do with her being a female. But for me, the top of the ticket is more important, and I also have serious reservations regarding the experience of Obama who is at the top of the ticket.
I actually agree with the vast majority of this. I know you said you don't agree that he has shifted that much, but my biggest issue with McCain is the degree to which he has changed since his 2000 run. His appeal to me was that he was willing to stand up for what he believed instead of pandering to the core of the right wing base. And as a result of his shift to the right, he now appears to be more closely in lock step with Bush to me. I believe that his choice of Palin is a big indicator that he is playing to the base more than doing what he believes in. I really think he wanted someone like Liberman but the base would not have stood for it.

I honestly don't know how he will govern. If he wants a second term he will have to continue to pander to the base. The only hope that I have that he will return to the McCain of the past is if he thinks once he is in office he can do what he believes and that the American people will appreciate that enough to re-elect him.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Mostly based upon choice and competition. Of specific interest to me was the expansion proposed for the education process itself. I'm a big supporter of alternative learning processes being made available for students:

John McCain Supports Expanding Virtual Learning By Reforming The "Enhancing Education Through Technology Program." John McCain will target $500 million in current federal funds to build new virtual schools and support the development of online course offerings for students. These courses may be for regular coursework, for enhancement, or for dual enrollment into college.

Allocate $250 Million Through A Competitive Grant Program To Support States That Commit To Expanding Online Education Opportunities. States can use these funds to build virtual math and science academies to help expand the availability of AP Math, Science, and Computer Sciences courses, online tutoring support for students in traditional schools, and foreign language courses.

Offer $250 Million For Digital Passport Scholarships To Help Students Pay For Online Tutors Or Enroll In Virtual Schools. Low-income students will be eligible to receive up to $4,000 to enroll in an online course, SAT/ACT prep course, credit recovery or tutoring services offered by a virtual provider. Providers could range from other public schools, virtual charter schools, home school parents utilizing virtual schooling resources or district or state sponsored virtual schools.

JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/News/PressReleases/read.aspx?guid=2ca6f926-4564-4301-87cd-a5f35e68c0d4 - broken link)
But do you truly believe that this is one of his core principles? I have followed him for years and I rarely recall him ever discussing education.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Well first of all it was a bit of humor, gallows humor.
Secondly, when the Senate voted to ban waterboarding and other harsh measures, McCain voted against the bill saying the practices were required for getting intelligence. Torture is torture, no matter why you are applying it.
He voted against that?? I'm going to have to look into that.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
The real question is, what's Obama going to do different, except inevitably raise taxes?
Obama and Bush... both big spenders.
This thread is really about McCain but this is definately something that needs to be explored.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:12 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,216 times
Quote:
What is he going to cut specifically? Money for roads and bridges, money for the military, military equipment contracts, the mandated programs of no child left behind, the commerce department budget, the intelligence budget, what? Just saying you are going to cut something, someday, with a Democratic congress, is not a plan. The taxes are cut and here we are with jobs disappearing, retirements disappearing, major companies filing bankruptcy, the airline industry in a mess, housing in a mess. Seems to me it is just the same old rhetoric.
I do know he has outlined cuts in pork-barrel spending, earmarks, and waste which amounts to billions per year. Reserving all savings from victory in the Iraq and Afghanistan operations to reduce the deficit. A one-year freeze on all discretionary spending except for military and veteran purposes.

The point is that this campaign is not a referendum on Bush, unless you've already committed to reciting what the Obama campaign is pushing. McCain and Obama each have their own specific, unique plan, and it makes no sense to compare McCain to Bush who happens to be unpopular with many in his own party because he did not stick to many of his own principles and plans. It is definitely not a conservative, Republican priniple to increase the size of the federal government so rapidly as Bush has done.

This election is a choice between Obama and his plan, and McCain and his plan. If you think this election is about a third Bush term, you're just doing yourself a disservice by not thinking about the differences between Bush and McCain, and you're completely disregarding what kind of "change" Obama is proposing. Just because a football team has a bad season doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to fire the the head coach, sometimes you have to interview the possible replacements and decide who has the best plan to proceed into the future.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
What is he going to cut specifically? Money for roads and bridges, money for the military, military equipment contracts, the mandated programs of no child left behind, the commerce department budget, the intelligence budget, what? Just saying you are going to cut something, someday, with a Democratic congress, is not a plan. The taxes are cut and here we are with jobs disappearing, retirements disappearing, major companies filing bankruptcy, the airline industry in a mess, housing in a mess. Seems to me it is just the same old rhetoric.
The focus seems to be on earmarks which I completely agree with. I haven't seen specifics on anything else. Anybody?

The big question is what will the first budget that he proposes to Congress really look like. Of course that goes for Obama too. And what can get through Congress that either one of them would sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections