U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-09-2008, 02:52 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,183,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
So in other words your friend is just in the stage of "playing at being a musician". That makes it even more important to have another job to pay expenses like health insurance.
There's no need to be offensive. he is not playing at being a musician, just as the people who do theatre jobs at night and hold a day job at the same time are not "playing at being actors." But what i'm SAYING is that that "day job" often doesn't provide benefits.
Why do I feel like i'm talking to a brick wall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 02:52 PM

55,752 posts, read 27,565,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Wow!

"Dont talk to me if you disagree with me!"
He's a liberal thats upset because I dont want to give his friend money.. What do you expect..

Old 09-09-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
He's a liberal thats upset because I dont want to give his friend money.. What do you expect..
She. You're hopeless. bye.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:55 PM

5,218 posts, read 2,097,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
I pay $70 a month for dental vision and health insurance at my job....any job should be able to provide you with health insurance..every single job I have has provided health insurance..even a crummy restaurant job I worked a few years ago and it was pretty good with cheap copays at $10...not the governments job to provide this.
You only see what your contribution is to the health plan, however, you are not seeing what the company is actually paying out to the insurance companies to cover you.

With the premium cost significantly increasing , in order to keep their companies profitable and competitive (small business with big business. and big business ina global economy) companies are either raising employees contributions taking away their take home income OR cutting back on what coverage is offerd

NOt all insurances are equal. Some are finding they are actually underinsured when an illness arises..

Did you know, for example, that you can purchase a "mini - med" insurance plan that is significantly cheaper than a major medical, however, a mini med has lets say a $25K maximum payout in a lifetime while a major medical may have a $1million max a year and $5million lifetime? So..if you have a mini med plan and suddenly find yourself with cancer you can burn through that lifetime maximum pretty quickly and then find yourself having no insurance coverage whatsoever.

Scary thought..

I have been shopping as i'm moving to a new state.. I choose the major medical for $200 more than the mini med. Mine is $330 for myself under a guaranteed approval plan (Im a diabetic) where my son and husband are on a medically underwritten plan for about $220 a month.. basically costing us $550 a month in Pa

And in NY I could only get, as a small business, a plan that was $856/motnh for me and my son..not even my husband.. If I didn't have a small business I would have been paying over $1000 a month for just me and my son (again.. hubby didn't have insurance).

Fortunately I can afford the new premiums in the new state because it's $300 less than I am currently paying.. but it's scary how high the cost is and what the alternative is. NOt everyone can afford this.. and they shouldn't be left without anything .

Old 09-09-2008, 02:57 PM

16,825 posts, read 13,595,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It is not the Governments job to provide me with health insurance
The OP didn't ask to "be provided with health insurance" as if for free. Perhaps the government could do something to make it more affordable, and regulate the insurance companies so they don't keep screwing us and denying claims they should be paying.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:57 PM

8,575 posts, read 2,076,347 times
untrue. I have a friend who is a guitarist. he's in a band, but also teaches lessons at the local guitar shop. he gets $25 for a 30 minute lesson. that's $50 an hour, which comes out to a lot of money. you don't have to "make it big" but what you must do is utilize your skill set to its' capacity. at $50 an hour, you can pay for your own insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
That's not true. It most certainly IS a job for MANY people. (It can be a hobby as well, of course, for the non-professionals) For many people they also have to have a 2nd job because it doesn't pay much.
Being "Good at the arts" does not correlate to making a lot of money unless you're part of the 1% that hits the jackpot and becomes a celebrity. Many really gifted artists struggle.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
untrue. I have a friend who is a guitarist. he's in a band, but also teaches lessons at the local guitar shop. he gets $25 for a 30 minute lesson. that's $50 an hour, which comes out to a lot of money. you don't have to "make it big" but what you must do is utilize your skill set to its' capacity. at $50 an hour, you can pay for your own insurance.
Well then your friend has it good. That is a nice situation.

1,176 posts, read 1,084,753 times
If a person is not working enough hours to be considered for union membership benefits, then it is still at the hobby level (if you like that better than playing at). A prudent person would have other employment to carry them through until their music becomes something other than a hobby. As I have pointed out for a young person the cost of an individual policy is probably less than his cell phone bill. If your friend decided to take the risk of not buying insurance, then he should be willing to accept the consequences.

1,583 posts, read 2,964,676 times
My question would be. What would you do for yourself?

Old 09-09-2008, 03:05 PM

55,752 posts, read 27,565,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
She. You're hopeless. bye.
Its a screename, get over it, or would you have rather I called you "it"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections