Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times

Advertisements

In your small world....

Some people just like to work. 12/13/14/15/16/17 hours+ a day. They do it cause they like it and it helps them make their American dream. That's what it takes....things are getting worse your just expecting more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
First of all, if you have a really good financial advisor, I suspect you aren't contributing much if anything to anyone else's health insurance costs. Secondly, as CDF is in such large part a Relo forum, I doubt you're finding much of an audience who is ignorant of the fact that IT COSTS MONEY TO MOVE. You remind me of the people I have met who have never gone without anything to the extent that they honestly don't understand how anyone could not have money. I'd rather be dirt poor and have an understanding and empathy for other people than have all the money in the world and such a small mind and limited experience.
I would propose to the OP that she post an honest breakdown of her monthly expenses. There are plenty of folks here who can offer honest pointers on where in your budget you can trim the fat. As another poster pointed out, the vast majority of Americans who go without health care choose to by virtue of the fact they would rather have other things that are more important to them, be it a car, cable tv, clothes from the mall, etc.

One has an obligation to give up perks and unnecessary expenses if they are going to go on the public dole. Unfortunately, too many Americans such as the OP see it as their entitlement to get money that other people worked for - one need to look no farther than the title of her post.

As far as moving, yes, it takes money to move. I moved my family here to Texas last year to escape the high cost of living in California. I was out of a job and my wife was in her second trimester of her pregnancy. It was not easy, but when one is not dependent on the government to solve all their problems it's amazing what one can accomplish. I've cut my living expenses by half and no longer pay state income tax. If one really wants to better their situation without surrendering their dignity by begging from the government they can.

Last edited by rb4browns; 09-10-2008 at 07:16 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
LOL if you are working 15 to 20 hours a day (is that even possible, I mean come on with the exaggerations) then that is really sad. However, its abnormal and Americans shoudln't need to work like they do in third world countries just to survive. Or is that where we're headed under 8 years of Republican mismanagement?
As a single father, yes indeed, 15 - 20 hours a day was the norm. Attorney fee's were outrageous. Their ballgame, you wanna play well you had to pay.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I would propose to the OP that she post an honest breakdown of her monthly expenses. There are plenty of folks here who can offer honest pointers on where in your budget you can trim the fat. As another poster pointed out, the vast majority of Americans who go without health care choose to by virtue of the fact they would rather have other things that are more important to them, be it a car, cable tv, clothes from the mall, etc.

One has an obligation to give up perks and unnecessary expenses if they are going to go on the public dole. Unfortunately, too many Americans such as the OP see it as their entitlement to get money that other people worked for - one need to look no farther than the title of her post.

As far as moving, yes, it takes money to move. I moved my family here to Texas last year to escape the high cost of living in California. I was out of a job and my wife was in her second trimester of her pregnancy. It was not easy, but when one is not dependent on the government to solve all their problems it's amazing what one can accomplish. I've cut my living expenses by half and no longer pay state income tax. If one really wants to better their situation without surrendering their dignity by begging from the government they can.
FYI, I have been self supporting since the age of 12. You don't know sh*t about me, and what you assume does more than an adequate job of exemplifying what they say about ass - u -me. But thanks for your concern

Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,845 times
Quote:
FYI, I have been self supporting since the age of 12. You don't know sh*t about me, and what you assume does more than an adequate job of exemplifying what they say about ass - u -me. But thanks for your concern
12? Are you from Kenya?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
<shrug> There's a town in Alabama town where a Synagogue is offering $50,000 for Jewish families who will relocate there. Breaking News - JTA, Jewish & Israel News. Norcalmom, I know you are Jewish (as am I). This would be a wonderful opportunity for you to relocate to an area that is much cheaper to live, and you would not have to beg from the taxpayers ot pay for your health coverage.

You see, there are plenty of options that don't involve begging from the government and the taxpayers for money. It may not be what you want to do, but it is what you should do. You can't afford to cover your family for health care, yet you choose to live in one of the most expensive parts of the country and expect others to subsidize your choice.

Like I said, those who don't want to live on the public dole can find plenty of ways to support themselves. And then there are those who whine, make excuses and expect others to give to them simply because they hold their hand out. Guess which candidate those folks are supporting?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 PM

149 posts, read 323,075 times
Quote:
It sounds like you have been very successful. Why depend on the government now to pay for health care? The money the government uses to pay for these entitlements has to come from somewhere. If not from your pocket whos?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
<shrug> There's a town in Alabama town where a Synagogue is offering $50,000 for Jewish families who will relocate there. Breaking News - JTA, Jewish & Israel News. Norcalmom, I know you are Jewish (as am I). This would be a wonderful opportunity for you to relocate to an area that is much cheaper to live, and you would not have to beg from the taxpayers ot pay for your health coverage.

You see, there are plenty of options that don't involve begging from the government and the taxpayers for money. It may not be what you want to do, but it is what you should do. You can't afford to cover your family for health care, yet you choose to live in one of the most expensive parts of the country and expect others to subsidize your choice.

Like I said, those who don't want to live on the public dole can find plenty of ways to support themselves. And then there are those who whine, make excuses and expect others to give to them simply because they hold their hand out. Guess which candidate those folks are supporting?
I ask for an explanation from supporters of McCain and Obama of what they believe their candidate will do about the health insurance crisis in our country and your answer is that I should move to Alabama because I am Jewish?????????

I have two jobs and have been self-supporting since I was 12 (that's almost 30 years) (and suporting dependants for over a decade) and you call me a beggar?

For your sake and mine, let's be thankful we are on a moderated anonymous internet forum. May your god take pity on your soul, and may you have competant and kind representation in your old age.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
12? Are you from Kenya?
No, Kenya ranks #140 by the World Health Organization. The US is #37.

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,449 times
Quote:
Seriously, I work two jobs and have no insurance coverage, medical or dental. I want to hear from supporters of Obama and McCain, what will your candidate do for me and my health insurance problem?
HI,
Billy Mays here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections