Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Get a different job. Maybe if you spent the time you spend complaining about health care looking for a job with benefits, you'd have insurance. If you have a BA and it's in some field that you can't get a job, go back to school and get a job in a field that you can actually find a job in. I bet you could find a job TODAY with benefits if you wanted to. But I think you'd rather complain.
If you think asking a question is complaining, you might want to go back to school yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:24 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
FYI, in my state, you can be turned away from many emergency facilities for inability to pay.
If you have an emergency, it is illegal for them to turn you away; you HAVE to be provided medical care whether you can pay or not.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:24 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
They have that opporunity. But it starts with getting off your butt and doing something for yourself, not waiting for the govt to do it for you.
Get off your butt and spell-check.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Nobody wants to government to take care of them (well, I guess the corporations do, and it does). They just want the opportunity to be able to take care of the health of themselves and their families if they need to.
Yes, the government takes care of corporations and special interest groups, not American citizens who are floundering in this HORRIBLE economy.

A society is judged, IMO, by the way it treats it's weakest members - those who are disabled, elderly, unemployed, etc. We are not doing a good job of it AT ALL.

There is no reason that we can't take care of our own citizens who pay the taxes and fight the wars.

All this talk about "you can pay for it yourself" is a lot of bologna. Try working two jobs without health insurance and see if you can afford it. Or, try being unemployed and see if you can afford health insurance. With the way things are going with our jobs being sent overseas, our wages being stagnant for decades, high unemployment, etc. forget about it. Who do you think you're fooling?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
If you think asking a question is complaining, you might want to go back to school yourself.
You are not asking a question. What you are doing is fishing for the answers you want. you want someone to tell you that obama will provide free health care for everyone. You don't want anyone to tell you to take care of yourself and provide for yourself. You want the govt to do it for you.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Quote:
More than people on disability, you are paying for health care for ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. We all are. That needs to stop NOW. But your argument that you are already paying for health care when you pay for them doesn't hold water. You don't think that if we added everyone ELSE to the free health care bandwagon your taxes wouldn't be MUCH MUCH MUCH more? Or did you think you'd pay the same you are not but get free health care? Dream on.
Explain to me not only what illegals have to do with this plan but how/why you really think illegals are going to go sign up, with the government, for a national plan. His plan is not one where you walk in off the street to any doctor and they care for you under national care. No, no. His plan involves a group plan that you know, since its the government, you're going to have to give your SSN for amongst other things. In that regard, they really have no business in the equation unless you are simply giving the number of them here versus the number of uninsured people in the US.

Quote:
Our taxes are too high. Taxes need to be lower and everyone needs to buy their own insurance.
Taxes are too high? Well brace yourself for what they're going to be in a year or two under either candidate. We're too far in debt for either not to raise taxes. I'd rather pay more in taxes than continue falling into debt to the Chinese.

1,577 posts, read 2,661,209 times
Quote:
I would rather NOT have government schools. I happen to live in a good school district, but on the whole public schools are a colossal failure. I think competition for schools would be a good thing. I'm sure that the idea behind everyone paying for education is that this is OUR country and how our children grow up affects all of us, even people who do not have children. Someday when you retire, your social security money (if there is any), will be from the incomes of the children you are now helping to educate.

But still, I'd be for competition in schools, instead of public education.
I have no illusions that I will receive any social security when I retire, the baby boomers will have drained it dry by then. Thank you for answering my question, and I appreciate your honesty. I have often heard people come out strongly against one social program only to take advantage of another like free public education.

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
FYI, in my state, you can be turned away from many emergency facilities for inability to pay.
Yes private, right? What about the EMTALA, Emergency Management Treatment act. I know it's no substitute for health care in advance or during an emergency. But I'd make sure I was familiar with the law for now.

Once I left my job and COBRA under the act was not affordable for me so I moved over the bridge to the next state which was more favorable untill I got a new job.

It's a mess, that's for sure. And for the middle class especially since medicaid exists for lower income people.

EMTALA.COM - Legal information on EMTALA

Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Get off your butt and spell-check.
I see when someone tells you to get off your butt it hits a nerve. Sorry, but you need to provide your own healthcare. Or find a job provides it. Your only response is an insult. You kinda prove my point.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:30 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
I have no illusions that I will receive any social security when I retire, the baby boomers will have drained it dry by then. Thank you for answering my question, and I appreciate your honesty. I have often heard people come out strongly against one social program only to take advantage of another like free public education.
I'm not so sure about that but if you make a modest contribution to a 401K every week, the beauty of compound interest will ensure you a retirement of a million or more depending on your age, versus being a government dependent senior living on the bare minimum. Social Security was never meant to be a person's entire income, but since Americans are averse to saving money it's become that way.

Finding a job where your employer matches your 401K contributions at a high rate should be high on the list of job priorities if you have concerns about your retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections