Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,589,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Mr. Clinic Bomber
Mr. Gay Bar Bomber
Mr. Doctor Murderer
Mr. Branch Davidian

These action figures and more brought to you by your extremist friends, the Fundamentalist Christians.
Sure and we read about them everyday murdering someone righ...........oops, scuze me that was ghetto thugs I was thinking about. They do it by the THOUSANDS every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 01:32 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Hmm....Pakistan is full of radicals? Interesting. Seething with radicals, you say? Do they have police? I see they have an economy, a GDP, so someone's going to work...if the place is seething with radicals are they clashing with the moderates (the minority) which I guess makes the minority radicals since they don't ascribe to the norm. How can we possibly tell which group is radical? The minority or the majority? We should define radical, and quick, because I can't understand the context of your statement until we put a finger on what comprises a radical in Pakistan and how their radiicals differ from radicals in other places throughout the World.
Are you saying that if a radical surrounds himself/herself with other radicals, then they cease to be a radical?

Old 09-10-2008, 01:33 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
True and that was 1950's technology, you better thank your anti-skid brakes for those mean kill-all military and aerospace toys that Dumbo wants to curb.
Hmm...Last I looked Senator Obama wasn't the problem with NASA, they had their own issues to deal with because of conflicts of interest on their board and how funds were being allocated. Last I looked Senator Obama voted for the recent GI Bill which many believe will swell the ranks of the Military, in fact the main argument has been that the folks will enlist for a short term to take advantage of the education stipulations, but I haven't seen too much commentary that says the Military will shrink because of the Legislation. Ah well, I digress....this is off topic so unfortunatly I can say no more, as I believe it is rude of me to hijack the OP's thread - I take this opportunity to apologize.

Perhaps we can discuss it further on your thread topic.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:35 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Are you saying that if a radical surrounds himself/herself with other radicals, then they cease to be a radical?
Hmm...that's interesting.

I haven't said that; however, I have asked that we define the term. Perhaps once we do, we can explore the possibility of the interesting phenomena you've introduced.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:35 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
My comments are embedded in your post.
Please don't respond to my posts in that manner. It bugs me and it's hard to read.

Thanks

BTW: I grew up around Christians. Shoot, I grew up Catholic. But actually it wasn't any Catholics that I knew that were so strict about associating with other religions, or the whole "subservient to men" thing, or trying to proselytize (sp?) everyone. It was other Christian denominations. If you haven't experienced radical Christians like that, then I envy you. They are out there, and more than you might think. They will make your hair stand on end. Of course, they're very nice to you at first, until they find out you are Catholic (or some other religion they disagree with). Then all hell breaks loose.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
Sure and we read about them everyday murdering someone righ...........oops, scuze me that was ghetto thugs I was thinking about. They do it by the THOUSANDS every year.
I think the discussion was about whether modern day Christians still go around killing people on behalf of their religion.

Nice try misdirecting a factual answer. Ghetto thugs don't do it in the name of Jesus.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:22 PM

500 posts, read 702,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The problem with your comparison is that many Islamic and Muslim countries are "developing" countries (much of the Middle East, parts of Asia, Africa), while many Christian countries are "developed" (Western countries). The economic state that these countries are in affects the attitudes they have toward other parts of the world. Just like the impoverished areas in our country are much more prone to crime and gangs. Without hope and opportunity, many young people turn to gangs and Jihads. Even poor suburban kids in Europe are turning to gangs and terrorism.
So we’re being penalized because we’re more developed and civilized? I believe most if not all western countries offer hope and opportunity for ALL, it’s the choices an individual makes which will dictates what type of life he/she want live. Our gangs at home, is our problem, radical Islam is a global problem. The gangs at home numbers in thousands maybe hundreds of thousands, radical Islam numbers in the Millions, the gangs at home aren’t striking oil pipe lines and shaking the market, radical Islam is, the gangs at home aren’t perusing nukes weapons to destroy an entire nation, radical Islam is.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. Many Muslim countries are very very conservative in their religious beliefs. Just like many Christians in this country won't allow people of other religions to come over for dinner. Just like many Christians won't allow their children to associate with kids of other religions at school. Just like many Christians believe that the man is the "leader of the household". And just like many Christians believe that all non-believers will burn in eternal fire, and that it is their responsibility and duty to "save" all of these other religious people.
I don’t know of any Christian family that live the life you described, but okay, I’ll take your word on it, minus the MANY part. The facts still remain, Christianity as a whole, have gone through major reform. We are more tolerant, and we use common sense, and we value human life. BTW, It’s my choice who I want in my house, who I want my kids to be with, as long as I’m following the laws of this land and not hauling AK47 and forcing people openly and on a large scale to choose to convert or die, your whole argument is moot.
Quote:
Islam is a peaceful religion. But when you add in Billions of people living in poverty, theocratic nation-states, and a culture being forced into a 21st century culture, after not having the benefit of that culture growing organically as it has in the U.S. over the last 100 years, you're bound to have social schisms. Before anyone says I'm apologizing for terrorism, I'm not. I'm just saying it's a lot more complicated than "that religion is bad". Look at the Muslim countries that we have no problems with and what is different: prosperity and growing economies.

Some might doubt that Islam is a peaceful religion, I, on the other hand don’t. I believe that the majority of Muslims are peaceful, but SILENT people. With that said, no one is forcing them to come and live the western life style, they forced themselves on us. Also, they refuse to assimilate; they refuse to follow the laws of the land, and they refuse to respect our cultures (see Londonstan, Germanstan, Francestan and other EU nations). In the 50s a Muslim professor named al-kutob (spelling), visited the US, when he went back to his country, wrote an entire book how the people in the west are un-pure, and by injecting Islam, that part of the world will become pure again. I believe, this is the type of people the west is facing.
Quote:
In my opinion, if you are a fundamental Christian extremist, you're just one week of "no food on the table" away from blowing up your non believing neighbors.

Don’t tell this to the Christians living Palestine and Iraq. I mean, both are suffering, yet we don't hear a peep out of them.
Quote:
Just look at the way Christians are circling the band-wagons lately saying they are "under attack". It sets up the classic "us vs. them" dichotomy which allows leaders to easily manipulate followers.

When you have Liberal groups such as the scumbags at the ACLU attacking anything Christian, yet they’re pro Islam (Go figure), we have no choice but to call it what it really is.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
I think the discussion was about whether modern day Christians still go around killing people on behalf of their religion.

Nice try misdirecting a factual answer. Ghetto thugs don't do it in the name of Jesus.

Correct, and neither do whack job fundies on any massive scale.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Hmm...Last I looked Senator Obama wasn't the problem with NASA, they had their own issues to deal with because of conflicts of interest on their board and how funds were being allocated. Last I looked Senator Obama voted for the recent GI Bill which many believe will swell the ranks of the Military, in fact the main argument has been that the folks will enlist for a short term to take advantage of the education stipulations, but I haven't seen too much commentary that says the Military will shrink because of the Legislation. Ah well, I digress....this is off topic so unfortunatly I can say no more, as I believe it is rude of me to hijack the OP's thread - I take this opportunity to apologize.

Perhaps we can discuss it further on your thread topic.

Ahhh but Dumbo is on record of cutting missile and aerospace weapons tech. Terrific, under Dumbo's military we will have tons of old career designated (until they retire) and first termers that will get out after 4. In technical fields, after sometimes years of schooling a first termer often isn't worth his salt because he has little practical experience. That doesn't kick in until his second enlistment in many cases. Unfortunately 99% of them will do the smart thing for them and get out and take the free ride with little investment.

Dumbo's theory sounds great but in the real world it just ain't gonna fly.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:37 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Hmm....Pakistan is full of radicals? Interesting. Seething with radicals, you say? Do they have police? I see they have an economy, a GDP, so someone's going to work...if the place is seething with radicals are they clashing with the moderates (the minority) which I guess makes the minority radicals since they don't ascribe to the norm. How can we possibly tell which group is radical? The minority or the majority? We should define radical, and quick, because I can't understand the context of your statement until we put a finger on what comprises a radical in Pakistan and how their radicals differ from radicals in other places throughout the World.
Hmm, you are absolutely right. I shouldn't call terrorists 'radicals'. That is just a PC label anyway -- an attempt to excuse their actions and the inaction of the majority of muslims. Lets call them fundamentalist muslims (god knows fundamentalist christians is a label that is to be feared in the us). And the rest we will call the silent majority. In the US when a christian fundamentalist bombs an abortion clinic in the name of jesus, it is rare and you don't see people dancing in the streets burning the us flag and celebrating. What you do see is the capture, prosecution and imprisonment of those involved. We may have fundamentalists, but we are not silent in our disdain for them and their actions, thus they are contained.
Contrast that with...say, 9/11. After these fundamentalist muslims murdered 3000+ people we saw an awful lot of celebrating in the muslim world. And not just overseas, either. I recall (and I wonder if it is still around somewhere) footage of a muslim school across the river of where the twin towers stood. A camerman and reporter where there in the days following 9/11 and the muslims students were jubilant that fundamentalist muslims created such havoc and death. I recall the reporter mentioning that these were the american children of palestinian immigrants. Since 9/11 I have heard lots of muslims complain of people assuming all muslims are terrorists (and they are right to complain), but I hear precious little of muslims trying to fix the problem of fundamentalist muslims having too much power and too much sway.
Two entirely different mindsets. One believes in a live and let live philosophy, another believes in an eye for an eye whether the slight occured last year or a millinia ago. Does moral or cultural relativism apply here? No, the stakes are much too high to view this problem from an ivory tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections