Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:18 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Religion and God is fine, but do you want someone who has certain views being in a position of possible choosing her views for all of us??? If she had moderate views, I wouldn't worry much, but listen to some of the things she says....
I am perfectly capable of understanding what she says. Obama scares me far more than Sarah Palin ever would b/c he would tax us to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:54 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I am perfectly capable of understanding what she says. Obama scares me far more than Sarah Palin ever would b/c he would tax us to death.
You've mentioned the tax thing a few times, and I think you have been provided with more than enought information to show you that Obama's tax plan actually favors the middle class far more than McCain's tax plan. Curious as to why you continue to say Obama will tax you to death? I am assuming that you are not one the top 5% of wage earners.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,151 times
I'm an Obama supporter but I don't like his tax views. My wife and I are and will still get hit hard with his tax plan. But for the life of me the Religious Right scares the hell out of me. I'm a believer in God but that's my personal business. I can't vote of a party that is in favor of wars at every waking moment b/c God said so or b/c of their beliefs. Forget the beliefs lets see that FACTS. McCain's tax plan is a continuation of Bush. No change. I want a complete tax overhaul but no candidate is for that.

The economy and taxes are my biggest issues.

It's either I take it in the pocket or follow someones religious belief into the future or hell.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:17 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Ya, anyone who interprets what God is for the rest of us is off my list. Ditto for the "saved" thing, too. It's arrogant at best and dangerous at worst.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:18 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
I'm an Obama supporter but I don't like his tax views. My wife and I are and will still get hit hard with his tax plan. But for the life of me the Religious Right scares the hell out of me. I'm a believer in God but that's my personal business. I can't vote of a party that is in favor of wars at every waking moment b/c God said so or b/c of their beliefs. Forget the beliefs lets see that FACTS. McCain's tax plan is a continuation of Bush. No change. I want a complete tax overhaul but no candidate is for that.

The economy and taxes are my biggest issues.

It's either I take it in the pocket or follow someones religious belief into the future or hell.
Where on Earth did you get the idea that you have to follow politicians' religious beliefs? Did that happen under Reagan? Or Clinton, for that matter?

I really don't get this "fear" and the people who express it. There must be a lot of weak-mindedness rampant in this country.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
For a little while, I had leaned toward supporting Obama....but I can't vote for him in good conscience since his views on abortion are way too extreme....further to the left than your average pro-choice politician. I also do not agree with Obama's beliefs that sex ed should start as young as kindergarten. I never even considered voting for McCain, because he will just continue the warmongering policies of Bush/Cheney.

I'm voting my conscience and writing in "none of the above."
Didn't you hear that the "sex ed" for kindergartners was the difference between good touch and bad touch, or did you miss that part?

To answer the OP question - great question BTW, I started out for Edwards, then Obama, still with Obama.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Where on Earth did you get the idea that you have to follow politicians' religious beliefs? Did that happen under Reagan? Or Clinton, for that matter?

I really don't get this "fear" and the people who express it. There must be a lot of weak-mindedness rampant in this country.
No one thinks they have to follow a politician's religious beliefs. People are afraid that a politician might use their religion to make or change laws to fit their religious beliefs. What planet do you live on anyway? I'm beginning to think you make this stuff up because no one could possibly interpret things as oddly as you do.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:19 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Didn't you hear that the "sex ed" for kindergartners was the difference between good touch and bad touch, or did you miss that part?
We didn't miss anything. YOU did. We, unlike you, know that the Illinois School Code already had a section that mandated teaching kindergarten and elementary students about the dangers of abuse and inappropriate touching - Sec. 27.13-2. The bill Obama supported did not cover any new ground as far as that purpose was concerned.

What IS new in the bill is the mandate for STD education in grades K, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:21 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
...People are afraid that a politician might use their religion to make or change laws to fit their religious beliefs...
Or award federal money based on religious beliefs. Nah, that would be crazy, wouldn't it:
Faith-Based and Community Initiatives

Old 09-12-2008, 02:23 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I don't understand it either- but I'm having a really hard time believing that Hillary's supporters COULD vote for someone that's as anti-woman as Palin. I think that it just won't happen in the end.
LOL! A woman that is anti-woman! Funniest thing so far today! Keep 'em coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections