Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 10:51 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
...until Charlie Gibson told her.

Can this woman really be ready to be President when she doesn't even know HOW bush has changed the principles America uses to justify war?

I think not.

YouTube - Sarah Palin on 9/11, the Bush Doctrine, and Pakistan
What was the point of the question? She's not running as Bush's VP. She's running as McCain's. So when McCain is elected the so-called Bush doctrine will go out the window and be an historical footnote. A more pertinent question would have been what she understands McCain's position to be with respect to nations or entities that threaten us and whether she agrees or disagrees with that policy position. Who cares about the "Bush Doctine" now that he only has 4 months left in office? That was merely Charlie Gibson trying to pull a gotcha in a smarmy way. These newsmen are sooooo brilliant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 10:51 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,229 times
"In what respect Charlie" I laugh every time I hear that, but if she says Charlie one more time Im gonna puke LOL

Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliana_b View Post
There is not one exact meaning for the "doctrine," but the best response is that type of situation is to say something to the effect of: "That has a number of meanings or interpretations. Are you asking me about ________." (fill in the blank with preemptive strike or harboring terrorists, or better yet, both). The fact is that she had no idea what Gibson meant, and it is clear in her response. She should have been able to at least point to one or the other of those. In fact, if she had, she would have probably tripped him up because HE didn't give a clear definition, either. She would have looked polished and professional.
Agreed that this would have been the best approach.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in voter sentiments.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
She seems to have her head barely visible in the water.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:01 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,229 times
Obviously this is something a running mate or presidential nominee SHOULD know even though the average American may not know it

Bush Doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
"In what respect Charlie" I laugh every time I hear that, but if she says Charlie one more time Im gonna puke LOL
I'm going to use that phrase every time I clearly don't know what somebody is talking about. I'm tempted to use it here at work in response to a mysterious client email...but that would probably be a bad idea.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:06 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Agreed that this would have been the best approach.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in voter sentiments.
Depending on the MSM play it gets, it could turn out to be insignificant. Or, it could become part of a pattern of naivete that unfolds over the next 7 weeks or so. A lot of us have the feeling, however, that she is in over her head - that she is cramming for a test she really isn't prepared for.

Of course, Bush was hardly prepared, but got better and better at playing the game as his campaign went forward. She has a lot of work to do to catch up and not much time to do it, IMO.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
What was the point of the question? She's not running as Bush's VP. She's running as McCain's. So when McCain is elected the so-called Bush doctrine will go out the window and be an historical footnote. A more pertinent question would have been what she understands McCain's position to be with respect to nations or entities that threaten us and whether she agrees or disagrees with that policy position. Who cares about the "Bush Doctine" now that he only has 4 months left in office? That was merely Charlie Gibson trying to pull a gotcha in a smarmy way. These newsmen are sooooo brilliant!
This was exactly my thought when I heard the exchange. Gibson's question was poorly worded and definitely came off as a "gotcha".
I am not a big fan of any of the four candidates but will be voting for McCain because I trust him more than Obama and I agree wholeheartedly with the McCain/Palin energy policy. However, I think the Dems have only themselves to blame for the pickle they are in, because given all the advantages they had with discontent with Bush, one would think that they could come up with better candidates.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
The observations I heard at the gym this morning were pretty interesting to me.

Apparently some folks, especially the ladies, felt that Gibson was a bit demeaning in his treatment of Palin. They seemed to think he was a bit obnoxious with repeatedly asking her about Israel and Iran after she clearly stated her point of view, as if "I can't believe that you think this". Also, they thought that his approach in the interview made the Bush Doctrine question seem like a trick question.

They then started discussing how the TV interview shows treated Obama and Clinton, and how the news was unfair to Clinton.

Overall, they seemed to be more disgusted with Gibson than Palin.
This whole "Poor little Sarah Palin" is getting pathetic. This is the same woman who branded herself as a "pitbull with lipstick". If she can't stand to be scrutinized, then maybe she shouldn't have accepted the nomination.

If you're going to boast about breaking the Glass Ceiling, then perhaps you should brace yourself on the glass fragments that fall.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
This was exactly my thought when I heard the exchange. Gibson's question was poorly worded and definitely came off as a "gotcha".
I am not a big fan of any of the four candidates but will be voting for McCain because I trust him more than Obama and I agree wholeheartedly with the McCain/Palin energy policy. However, I think the Dems have only themselves to blame for the pickle they are in, because given all the advantages they had with discontent with Bush, one would think that they could come up with better candidates.
Well what was Charlie supposed to do, ask about the McCain doctrine? She probably thinks the McCain doctrine's name is Cindy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections