Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:57 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
The real fear, then, is for Obama to be elected and the entire government run by liberal Democrats. You think we've got astronomical debt now? If that happened, we'd be OWNED by foreign "investors." And the terrorists would have their way with us, too.

What to no a country that has no debt but a HUGE budget surplus? That would be Iraq...and John McSame wants to give them even MORE of our tax payer dollars.

I am not a fan of welfare queens, but the biggest welfare queen of them all is the country of Iraq. If McCain get's in, you can count on Americans paying more and more to a nation that hates us and does not want to pick it's self up. If Iraq can't help it's self, it does not deserve to be helped, especially not on the US tax-payer's dime.

John McCain...Iraq first,America last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 09:01 PM

284 posts, read 696,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Let's assume that McCain does win the white house. Okay he's in, yahh...but here is one thing to consider, or, let me say, five things to consider...

Colorado open senate seat, currently held by retiring Republican...latest polls, Democrat Udall up 7 points.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Colorado Senate

Alaska senate race featuring scandal-ridden GOP senator Ted Stevens. Democrat challenger currently up 2 points (even the "Palin bounce" can't save Stevens)

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Alaska Senate

New Hampshire senate race...in the state that kicked every republican congressman out in 06, Democrat Shaheen is crushing her Republican challenger RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - New Hampshire Senate

Virgin open senate seat, held by retiring GOP senator John Warner...do I need to say it? Why is Gilmore even trying against Mark Warner?
RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Virginia Senate

New Mexico...open senate seat currently held by a Republican, and guys who's ahead in the polls? You guessed it, the Democrat

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - New Mexico Senate

In other words...even if Obama looses, the GOP is still going to, once again, get slaughtered in the Senate...and soare me, spare me having all of you people posting saying "polls don't matter!" right after you brag about polls showing McCain a few points ahead of Obama. That's just the way the cookie crumbles...
Doesn't the country work better when there is a democrat congress and a republican president and vis versa. I am just saying it works better and that is why i don't want obama cause he will get everything he wants because of congress. Bush got everything he wanted in his first term as president cause his friends in congress.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:07 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,903 times
Sounds like you are resigned to the fact that McCain will win...and you are just trying to soften the blow by convincing yourself that some Democratic senators will be elected.

Honestly, as a Republican, I'd rather have a Repub POTUS than a couple of Repub senate seats. So what was the point of your argument again?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:09 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,684,873 times
Do not get too comfy.

Latest polls show people do not trust the dems anymore and have moved back to the rep party after this current congress has proven to be a do nothing group of liars and do nothings.

We all know it was a mistake to vote them in, we gave them a chance and they blew it, rep people got them in office and rep people will vote them back out.

Not many dems would ever do the right thing and vote a rep in even if they knew their candidate was wrong. But you will find rep's voting across lines to send a message.

This congress is the worst in history and hopefully people will be smart enough to see terrible record and get rid of them. They are a complete joke!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:15 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
That is really my biggest fear of obama getting elected also.
Not that mccain is any prize, but the though of pelosi and obama having a free for all in the treasury worries me a great deal.
don't worry, there isnt anything in the treasury. Hasnt been for years. Borrow and Spend Bush has destroyed us.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:19 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Sounds like you are resigned to the fact that McCain will win...and you are just trying to soften the blow by convincing yourself that some Democratic senators will be elected.

Honestly, as a Republican, I'd rather have a Repub POTUS than a couple of Repub senate seats. So what was the point of your argument again?

First up, I am a Republican (If McCain wins, I'm switching parties) and second, I am simply pointing out that there are more races in November than the Presidential race and yet the Presidential race is the only thing the America-hating neocons seem to be focusing on...looking at the polls, I can see why.

If this was Hagel or Paul vs. Obama, I would volunteer for their campaign...barrow-and-spend, 100 years of war, America last the Iraqi government first McChurian candidate? No way!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
don't worry, there isnt anything in the treasury. Hasnt been for years. Borrow and Spend Bush has destroyed us.
Giggidy, giggidy, giggidy. That's right!

My only disappointment is that McCain is so ideal to me... and fiscally responsible. He's the kind of guy who's going to get in there and start fixing it before Social Security/Medicare collapses to worthlessness. I don't think he can, but I think he might put rules in place that make it harder for Congress to blow the treasury... Hmm... makes me think Obama might be my candidate...

If only one of them would make a "Truth in FICA" act so that everyone knew what they were really paying for Social Security/Medicare-- it would have to include employer contribution (which would otherwise lower cost of goods or increase pay) and the amount of state tax that goes to match medicare. That would be an issue that I'd vote either side of the aisle on.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnasi View Post
Doesn't the country work better when there is a democrat congress and a republican president and vis versa. I am just saying it works better and that is why i don't want obama cause he will get everything he wants because of congress. Bush got everything he wanted in his first term as president cause his friends in congress.
I really couldn't say it better myself.

The fact that the Dems control Congress and will probably gain bigger leads is the main reason why it's important to have a president from the GOP to force more compromise and less corruption in government. Maybe if they disagree enough and there are enough vetos, they'll somehow manage not to waste as much money as usual. That's why Bush was so bad on the debt, he didn't veto all those big spending proposals out of the Republican Congress.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:26 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
That is really my biggest fear of obama getting elected also.
Not that mccain is any prize, but the though of pelosi and obama having a free for all in the treasury worries me a great deal.
And Bush's overspending hasn't bothered you at all? You need to do some reading for sure.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:31 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
Do not get too comfy.

Latest polls show people do not trust the dems anymore and have moved back to the rep party after this current congress has proven to be a do nothing group of liars and do nothings.

We all know it was a mistake to vote them in, we gave them a chance and they blew it, rep people got them in office and rep people will vote them back out.

Not many dems would ever do the right thing and vote a rep in even if they knew their candidate was wrong. But you will find rep's voting across lines to send a message.

This congress is the worst in history and hopefully people will be smart enough to see terrible record and get rid of them. They are a complete joke!

Actually, a lot of people do not trust Bush and friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections