Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,463,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
ABC News

ABC News: Obama Admits Mistakes

In Obama Interview ABC's Gibson Imitates Saturday Night Live? | NewsBusters.org

Let's compare the grilling of Palin to the absurdly softball interview of obama by Gibson. No comparison.

Grilled? You think she was grilled? Is that darn media picking on Sarah again? Poor girl can't get a break. Shame on Charley for asking those nasty questions that just seemed to have stumped her. You can see the stress in her face as she painfully struggled to answer very basic questions. It was one BS answer after the other and this person is going to help McCain make big decisions in reference to the economy and foreign policy. OMG. Yeah, I am still waiting for a coherent answer myself because I keep telling myself, she can't be that ignorant especially due to the fact that she seems to think living in Alaska gives her foreign policy experience because it's near Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 08:39 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Obama interview:

How does it feel to break a glass ceiling?
How does it feel to “win”?
How does your family feel about your “winning” breaking a glass ceiling?
Who will be your VP?
Should you choose Hillary Clinton as VP?
Will you accept public finance?
What issues is your campaign about?
Will you visit Iraq?
Will you debate McCain at a town hall?
What did you think of your competitor’s [Clinton] speech?

Quote:
Palin interview:

Do you have enough qualifications for the job you’re seeking? Specifically have you visited foreign countries and met foreign leaders?
Aren’t you conceited to be seeking this high level job?
Questions about foreign policy
-territorial integrity of Georgia
-allowing Georgia and Ukraine to be members of NATO
-NATO treaty
-Iranian nuclear threat
-what to do if Israel attacks Iran
-Al Qaeda motivations
-the Bush Doctrine
-attacking terrorists harbored by Pakistan
Is America fighting a holy war? [misquoted Palin]
ABC's editing hackjob;
ABC News Edited Out Key Parts of Sarah Palin Interview | NewsBusters.org

Poor Charlie. Even with the obnoxiousness and condescention on his part, he got his behind handed to him.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
ABC's editing hackjob;
[URL="http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gladnick/2008/09/13/abc-news-edited-out-key-parts-sarah-palin-interview"]ABC News Edited Out Key Parts of Sarah Palin Interview | NewsBusters.org[/URL]

Poor Charlie. Even with the obnoxiousness and condescention on his part, he got his behind handed to him.
Newsbusters is not a reliable news source. I mean, one thing I cannot stand is when I see a comment with a link to a blog that has a specific agenda. Read their other so-called "articles" on the campaign. I can link you to just as many with the opposite viewpoint. You do not know if this is accurate. I doubt if a professional journalist like Gibson would ask ANY politician if running for VP made her conceited. That's just plain ludicrous! I'm sure they edited out a lot of gaffes that made her look even less qualified. Do you think the GOP would have picked a reporter who would be tough on her? They were the ones who arranged these interviews. She could have agreed to be interviewed by Tom Brokaw, Bill Schieffer or Brian Williams. I'm sure Larry King would have welcomed Gov Palin on his show.

My head hurts (really I need Advil) because I cannot understand why people think someone who is running for such a high office needs to be treated gently. I heard her incoherent answers where she just kept yacking when she couldn't answer a question directly. If she wasn't a woman and mother of 5, she'd never get a way with it.

By the way, someone on this board also linked an article that lists former Vice Presidents who had never met a foreign head of state. Al Gore is on the long list of names. NOT TRUE! Any site can make up "facts." Maybe she was talking about before we had airplanes? I wish I could find that post.

Dick Cheney is a former Secretary of Defense and (obviously) met foreign leaders.

Former Vice President Al Gore was a member of the Senate Armed Forces Committee and went on many congressional trips abroad, known as CODELS, where he met foreign leaders.

Former Vice President Dan Quayle was also a member the Senate Armed Committee and went on many CODELS.

Former President George H.W. Bush was the Ambassador to China before he became a vice president and eventually president.

Walter Mondale, was a senator for 16 years before becoming VP, and met foreign leaders

Last edited by justNancy; 09-13-2008 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: added last paragraph

Old 09-13-2008, 01:18 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Default Wall Street Journal's List

After I typed my last comment, I used Google to check my facts.

[url=http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/09/12/vice-presidents-and-meetings-with-foreign-leaders-a-brief-history/]Washington Wire - WSJ.com : Vice Presidents and Meetings with Foreign Leaders: A Brief History[/url]

Below, our list of former VPs and their pre-vice-presidential experience with foreign leaders.

- Gerald Ford (1973-1974): As a 25-year member of the House of Representatives, Ford went on numerous press junkets and fact-finding missions overseas. A research historian at the Gerald Ford Library in Michigan spotlighted the Congressional rep’s trip to China, with Hale Boggs in 1972 as an example of Ford’s engagement with overseas leaders. In “Time and Chance: Gerald Ford’s Appointment with History,” James Cannon writes that along with observing acupuncture surgery and meeting US diplomats, Ford and Boggs had dinner with Chinese Premier Chou En-Lai.

- Nelson Rockefeller (1974-1977): The young, rich Rockefeller made his name in the State Department, serving as director of the Office of Inter-American Affairs, assistant secretary of state for Latin-American affairs and a special assistant to Eisenhower on foreign affairs. He was part of the U.S. delegation to the Chapultepec Conference and met with many foreign policy leaders to urge solidarity in the Western Hemisphere.

- Walter Mondale (1977-1981): The Minnesota Historical Society, which holds all of Mondale’s papers, found many records of overseas travel, starting with a 1966 fact-finding mission to India and continuing through his decade in the Senate, including trips to Israel and Tokyo in 1973. In “The Democrats’ Dilemma: Walter Mondale and the Liberal Legacy,” Steven Gillon writes of Mondale’s visits to Jerusalem, Bonn, Brussels, London and Paris and a week spent in the Soviety Union meeting with high-level Russian officials in preparation for Mondale’s aborted run for the presidency.

- George H.W. Bush (1981-1989): Presumably, between being ambassador to the United Nations, envoy to China (the U.S. didn’t have official ties to the People’s Republic, so Bush couldn’t have the title of “ambassador”) and head of the CIA, Bush had plenty of face-to-faces with leaders overseas.

- Dan Quayle (1989-1993): A New York Times Magazine article by Maureen Dowd–a White House reporter at the time–characterizes Dan Quayle as “the Congressman who chalked up better attendance in the House gym than in the House Foreign Affairs Committee.” Nevertheless, Quayle appears to have at least claimed ties to international dignitaries; a 1989 Time article about Quayle’s diplomatic debut in Venezuela says he bragged about links to NATO leaders and Israeli higher-ups while on the campaign trail.

- Al Gore (1993-2001): Gore had been in Congress for 25 years before being tapped for the vice presidency, and while he was most well-known for his attentiveness to technology issues, he did lead a convention of high-ranking officials from 42 countries in drafting a global Marshall plan that promised economic equity and an international commitment–you guessed it–protecting the environment.

- Dick Cheney (2001-present): As secretary of defense, Cheney presided over the Panama invasion and Operation Desert Storm. Press coverage at the time indicates that Cheney met with Saudi Arabia’s King Fahd and Russia’s Boris Yeltsin, among others.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:03 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
All you have to do is read the official transcript to know they did a hack job on the interview. Newbusters supplies the links.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:48 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Pretty much sums it up all right; Charlie Gibson threw underhanded marshmallows to Obama (the presidential candidate) and threw high-and-inside fastballs to Palin (the vice-presidential candidate) by comparison, and he had his butt handed to him by syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer and some others on his Bush Doctrine question.

You have to think that Rush Limbaugh would not have flourished on the radio airwaves for 20 years and counting, not to mention his 8-year, $400 million contract extension, if ABC and the other alphabet soup TV networks weren't so ostentatiously biased in their leftward, pro-abortion, anti-Christian direction. More objective reporting would render most of conservative talk radio superfluous, and as long as the Charlie Gibsons, the Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermanns continue to flail away at Sarah Palin like blindfolded people on methamphetamines fruitlessly flailing at a pinata, talk radio will flourish and TV network news ratings and newspaper circulations will keep drying up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections